Prince Nuada/Luke Goss Appreciation &Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prince Nuada/Luke Goss Appreciation &Thunk Thread

This is the place where we can appreciate Prince Nauda from Hellboy II The Golden Army and the actor who plays him. Wallpapers, icons and any artworks are welcome here too as well as any comments.

LS

luke goss is wonderful in HB II, especially his fight scenes. I could sympathize, and I agree, with nuada and what he was trying to achieve. his fate is a shame, he was an interesting character that could've been carried over to the next movie.

"cold and dark" is also a good movie for luke.

Last edited by naamiaiset; 06 September 2008, 10:45 PM.

Comment

As I said in some other posts I thought Luke Goss brought Prince Nuada to life. Even in his facial expression. Prince Nauda was more than a one dimensional Character. Did you see the look on his face when he found out what happend to Mr. Wink and his look of discus on his face when he saw that the humans where going to put up another shooping mall.
      I would like to see Nuada in another movie.

LS

Comment

Nuada was a fantastic character! Best 'villain' (though I think he was the real hero) to come along in such a long time.

Luke did an excellent job in portraying him - he brought so much passion to the character. Even when he was brutal, you could see the anguish in his face - he was so desperate to do whatever needed to be done to save his world. I just saw someone in so much pain - in both mind and in soul - I just couldn't fault him for what he was trying to do.

I saw Batman/The Dark Knight right after this movie, and I wasn't nearly as impressed with Ledger's Joker as I was with Goss' Nuada. Why? Well, the Joker was one dimensional - he was crazy insane and there was nothing redeeming about him. He was just evil. You didn't care about him, or what happened to him.

But Nuada had depth - he was full of passion on so many levels. He loved beauty. He loved earth. He loved his father, even in death (I loved how he looked at his hand after killing his father, as if to acknowledge the blood now on his hands).

He loved his sister, though perhaps a bit too much. It could be said that - since they were twins - his love for his sister reflected his love of self, perhaps a bit narcissistic on his part. They were, afterall, two sides of the same coin - where she was humble, he was proud. Where she could not see her own beauty, he embraced his. She possessed inner peace, while his insides burned with rage. Everything she was, he was not, and visa versa. So loving his sister would then merely reflect his love for everything that he was not, but wished to be. Only his sister could make him complete.

More I could say, but will stop there 'cause I think I need a cold shower now.

This is a wallpaper I made up - nothing fancy, I didn't want to detract from the beautiful subject...

Spoiler:

das
        sigpic

Comment

Oh yes!!! you guys rock! It's about time he had his own thread
          GORGEOUS WALL das!
          "Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand!" Mark Twain (1835-1910)
          "But you see, just because we've been dealt a certain hand doesn't mean we can't choose to rise above it. To conquer the boundaries of a destiny none of us wanted. To try and retain whatever essential humanity we can." ~Edward from Twilight
          Historic Connections Ancient history resources business my Dad runs...go check it out

Comment

Here's the behind the scenes featurette for Nuada
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GO7pneie0

It's reeeally interesting...and it's got a bit of Nuala in it too...plenty on the makeup for the characters
            "But you see, just because we've been dealt a certain hand doesn't mean we can't choose to rise above it. To conquer the boundaries of a destiny none of us wanted. To try and retain whatever essential humanity we can." ~Edward from Twilight
            Historic Connections Ancient history resources business my Dad runs...go check it out

Comment

Originally posted by telpethoniel View Post

It's reeeally interesting...and it's got a bit of Nuala in it too...plenty on the makeup for the characters
              Thanks for the link! Will have to check it out as soon as I get my dsl hooked up - or when I get to the office on Monday.

And yeah, Nuada certainly deserves his own thread - a bit late, but when the DVD comes out, we'll probably have lots to talk about again.

He was the most complex 'villain' to come along is such a long time...not to mention the most beautiful. Of course, we Wraith Worshippers fall for anything with flowing white hair and no eyebrows...so Nuada is a natural fit for us.

Enjoy the thread!

das
              sigpic

Comment

Hi everyone Thank you for posting on this thread. I think Prince Nuada need his own thread because we would post in the WDC when we talk about Nuada. das I l love you post and new signature on Nuada. You really captured the essence of the man/elf. I have made a calendar for October I wanted to capture a softer side to him because I think he can have both a soft side as well as a hard side. I tried posting this earlier but, something went wrong. my computer and photoshop are acting up giving me some grife. I guess it is time to unistall and then reinstall Anyways, I hope this will work

Edit: boy I'm having tons of fun with my crannky computer. plus it is 3 in the morning.

LS

Comment

LS - Lovely calendar!! I love the picture with the book - yes, a softer side...

I really appreciated his relationship with Wink. He called Wink his friend, and I do believe that was the case. I believe he cared about Wink, he was his loyal companion, and it hurt to lose him in the same way it would hurt us to lose our beloved pet.

One of my favorite Nuada scenes is when he's assembling the golden egg. It reflects his own eye for beauty, and underscores that - deep down inside - he himself is fragile. I would love to have that egg...it was beautiful!!

das
                  sigpic

Comment

Thank you das for the complement. That was one of my favourite scenes too. The very look on his face when the he learn of Wink's death. I t was like everything in his life was being destroyed. He must have felt very alone in his world.

The golden casing that held the seed was very beautiful, very old world and yet, delicate and beautiful. And the seed which was an elemental, a forest god, a giver of life or death was beautiful too in it's own way, albeit terrifying yet beautiful. And speaking of old world look there are many scenes in which Nuada look very old world, much like a painting by the masters.

Guillermo del Toro has a way of combing beauty and terror together in his movies. Have you seen “Pan's Labyrinth”? That is an example of bringing the two elements together in a movie. Nuada's softer side is representative of his sister she brings the best out of him. I believe she too, can have a hard side, however, that side does not come out to often. I think when push come to shove that side will surface she did pull a knife on Abe.

I wish I started this thread when the movie first came out I don't think it is too late because the movie is still being released in other countries.

LS

Comment

Originally posted by telpethoniel View Post

Thank you for the link. I saw that one on you tube it is quite interesting in how the whole make up process comes together to make the great characters that they are.

However, look what I found! Now, if you have about $200.00-$300.00 US or (current exchange at the time) kicking around in your cupboard or hidden in one of the pockets in long forgotten coat that is stash in the back of your clothes closet, look what you can spend all that loot on. I wonder if it can change into a lance?

http://www.alteregocomics.com/store/...productid=5156

LS

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidSky View Post
                        Thank you das for the complement. That was one of my favourite scenes too. The very look on his face when the he learn of Wink's death. I t was like everything in his life was being destroyed. He must have felt very alone in his world.

The golden casing that held the seed was very beautiful, very old world and yet, delicate and beautiful. And the seed which was an elemental, a forest god, a giver of life or death was beautiful too in it's own way, albeit terrifying yet beautiful. And speaking of old world look there are many scenes in which Nuada look very old world, much like a painting by the masters.

Guillermo del Toro has a way of combing beauty and terror together in his movies. Have you seen “Pan's Labyrinth”? That is an example of bringing the two elements together in a movie. Nuada's softer side is representative of his sister she brings the best out of him. I believe she too, can have a hard side, however, that side does not come out to often. I think when push come to shove that side will surface she did pull a knife on Abe.

I wish I started this thread when the movie first came out I don't think it is too late because the movie is still being released in other countries.

LS
                        Hi all! LS, I'm glad you started the thread. And das, thanks for directing me here!

The calendar is beautiful and I agree with you and das. That is a wonderful soft look on the Prince's face as he is looking at the book (though, as I recall he went into quite a rage after that as he sought in vain for the last part of the crown!)

The scene with Nuada working on the egg is also one of my favorites -- he seems so at ease and peaceful (and beautiful). And the egg - it reminded me of one of those gorgeous Faberge eggs made for the Russian czars! And then it turned out to be one of the weapons in Nuada's arsenal- an exquisite bomb whose payload was the forest elemental. Interesting that he would lavish such love and care on a device intended to destroy -- perhaps because he had nothing else left to care about. A very lonely being indeed.

Guillermo del Toro's and Luke Goss's comments about Nuada's role sum up what I felt about him. He may be the villain, but you can see so clearly what his motives are and that his cause is just. I think the character is so well-done and believable because Luke Goss really understands him! It was tragic but inevitable that he die fighting for he thought was right. Nuada is the last warrior of his people and is doing all he can to save them from the never-ending depredations of mankind. Yeah, I'm a tree-hugger and I agreed with Nuada's criticism of mankind's abuse of the earth and the non-human races -- of course, being a human myself, I wasn't too keen on his plan to exterminate us. It's a pity it came down to and us-or-them situation.

@telpethoniel: thanks for the link! That little behind the scenes glimpse of Nuada and Nuala was wonderful!

@LS: I did see Pan's Labyrinth. It was strange and wonderful.
                        Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow_hawk View Post
                          Hi all! LS, I'm glad you started the thread. And das, thanks for directing me here!

The calendar is beautiful and I agree with you and das. That is a wonderful soft look on the Prince's face as he is looking at the book (though, as I recall he went into quite a rage after that as he sought in vain for the last part of the crown!)
                          Thank you.

It was that moment when he was looking into the pages that i wanted to capture. He did indeed went into a rage because, he was becoming desperate in wanting to get the finale crown piece

LS

The scene with Nuada working on the egg is also one of my favorites -- he seems so at ease and peaceful (and beautiful). And the egg - it reminded me of one of those gorgeous Faberge eggs made for the Russian czars! And then it turned out to be one of the weapons in Nuada's arsenal- an exquisite bomb whose payload was the forest elemental. Interesting that he would lavish such love and care on a device intended to destroy -- perhaps because he had nothing else left to care about. A very lonely being indeed.
                          He was the last warrior of his kind and he was very alone you feel some kind of empathy for him. His farther became complacence and let the humans do what they want. King Balor did not want the golden army to awaken again. With good reason. He would rather have the death of his son then allow the golden army to cause destroy all humans. But, Nuada would rather fight than bow down to humans. He said I rather burn away then fade away.

LS

Guillermo del Toro's and Luke Goss's comments about Nuada's role sum up what I felt about him. He may be the villain, but you can see so clearly what his motives are and that his cause is just. I think the character is so well-done and believable because Luke Goss really understands him! It was tragic but inevitable that he die fighting for he thought was right. Nuada is the last warrior of his people and is doing all he can to save them from the never-ending depredations of mankind. Yeah, I'm a tree-hugger and I agreed with Nuada's criticism of mankind's abuse of the earth and the non-human races -- of course, being a human myself, I wasn't too keen on his plan to exterminate us. It's a pity it came down to and us-or-them situation.

Maybe Prince Nuada could have scared the crap out the humans by saying stay in the cities and leave our forests along or I will send in the golden army then give a little demo. But maybe he tried that and it didn't work. Humans being what we are don't like being told what to do.

LS

@LS: I did see Pan's Labyrinth. It was strange and wonderful.
                          Yeah, I thought it was beautiful made.

LS

Comment

I made a todd picture like this, so here's one for the prince.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
                              I made a todd picture like this, so here's one for the prince.

Spoiler:
                              Oh I love when he does that with his lance thingamy! it like all vanishes behind his hand oh oh and niiiice banner!

Comment

Working...
                              X