JMS critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JMS critique

Simply put, great writer, bad producer. production values on his shows are horrible

Production values have to do with how much money the studio gives you, ain't they? Or do you mean he can't do the best he could with what he's given?
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

The "critique" would certainly be more worth discussing if you would explain, defend, and/or give a few examples rather than just pooping out your opinion.

Also, be sure to place the "production values" comment in the context of budget, the syndication market (for B5), and (again for B5) 1995 production standards and technologies.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

to further expand, the two shows I am referring to are babylon 5 and jermiah.

While I do believe some of it might have to do with the budget, just the overall look of his shows compounded with bad stunts, wooden acting (let me preface that by saying not every actor.)

The graphics for the time are good.

My main and most general argument I guess is that while the babylon 5 is overly a good show it could have been made much better if the production quality was better

Comment

for me? I find B5 to be the 'bar' that i hold other shows to.

character interaction, in depth characters, characters that change and grow, little to no 'happy status quo' ending, a story that grows and evolves over the years.

IMHO, there aren't many other show creators that can compete. is he perfect? no. But he's a good story teller
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The space battles IMO still hold up today, and the station itself may not be Atlantis beautiful, but it's not meant to be. No one can touch him for writing, either character or plot, much less a complex interaction of the two, plus 'splosions at appropriate points. I think he did wonderfully with what he had for the original series.

B5 TOS. LOL!
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

i agree he is a great storyteller and the characters woodeness were in no way his fault theough writing, but I believe he fell short as a producer in that department as far as casting some of the roles

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
                i agree he is a great storyteller and the characters woodeness were in no way his fault theough writing, but I believe he fell short as a producer in that department as far as casting some of the roles
                Okay... Which roles, in your opinion were poorly cast?
                sigpic
                Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Ivanova, Franklin, Sinclair, both psychichs, and Jeff "Kinicki" Conaway

Comment

do you mean the telepaths, Lyta and Talya?

so...for the sake of discussion, what is your issues with each of these? what makes them - for you - poorly written?

sigpic

Comment

Ivanova, Franklin, Sinclair, both psychichs, and Jeff "Kinicki" Conaway
                      especially Ivanova and Franklin were great imo
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

As I have said they aren't poorly written, but writing while crucial is only part of the overall process of making a show. The acting for these parts varied from terrible to below average.

The Bad

1) Franklin was a very stiff portrayal

2)Ivanova felt forced most of the time

The not so bad but could have been better

1) Sinclair- just something about the actor didnt make the character convincing

2) Talya- the actress if you have seen her in anything else plays her characters all the same, very one dimensional

As for lyta I mispoke

Comment

As I have said they aren't poorly written, but writing while crucial is only part of the overall process of making a show. The acting for these parts varied from terrible to below average.

The Bad

1) Franklin was a very stiff portrayal

2)Ivanova felt forced most of the time

The not so bad but could have been better

1) Sinclair- just something about the actor didnt make the character convincing

2) Talya- the actress if you have seen her in anything else plays her characters all the same, very one dimensional

As for lyta I mispoke
                          I think Franklin was supposed to be. He was brought up in a military family, very emotionally repressed. It'd make sense for him to be stiff. Sure RB comic delivery wasn't the best but he did everything else (especially the addiction arc) brilliantly.

Ivanova? She was very genuine imo. The character seemed just like what i'd imagine CC to be in real life for some reason...

Sinclair... Hmm. First season, yeah. He seemed perpetually stressed. Much better in War Without End though.

Talya, I won't disagree but i've always preferred Lyta. She had her moments but in general I just didn't really ... Believe, I suppose.

To each their own, though.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

talya, yeah i think there was a reason the character got replaced. And yes, talya is quite similar to a lot of other characters the actress has played.

honestly, i haven't seen richard biggs (or saw i guess) or claudia christian in that much other stuff to adequately judge their performances.

in the case of zach, however, i kinda enjoyed his irreverance. he and Jason Carter's character brought some much needed comic relief and humor to the drama. And it was normal to me because some people deal with stress by joking

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

honestly, i haven't seen richard biggs (or saw i guess) or claudia christian in that much other stuff to adequately judge their performances.
                              I believe that further proves my point

in the case of zach, however, i kinda enjoyed his irreverance. he and Jason Carter's character brought some much needed comic relief and humor to the drama. And it was normal to me because some people deal with stress by joking
                              thats a fair assessment, I never looked at it that way

Comment

Working...
                              X