Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could we stop putting all of our eggs in the same basket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the thing, Stargate is a television show written by Humans. We as Humans aren't perfect. Every single television show/movie on the air has it's issues. Star Trek has it's issues, Star Wars has it's issues, sitcoms have issues, etc, etc. As it has been mentioned before, if Stargate was made to be perfectly in line with what the Human belief is, the show would be best suited for viewing by Vulcans:

- Teal'c, Jonas Quinn, Teyla, Ronon would not be on the team, they would probably be isolated at a place like Area 51 away from public contact or their species to prevent secrets being released.
    - The 'main characters' would have desk jobs or be sitting in the gate room relaying orders, only being sent out on the more EXTREME missions. If this was the case, you might as well make 'Stargate: Daedalus', and even then, people like Sheppard wouldn't be in the F-302s, more like commanding them from inside the Daedalus.
    - McKay could've spent his last moments with a bunch of marines and medics he would barely know (remember he couldn't even remember the name of that one scientician (lol) in his OWN department back in season 1?). Then Keller enters a state of remorse/depression after not going with McKay and becomes isolated ALA Star Trek Deep Space Nine: "It's Only a Paper Moon".
    - We get episodes full of 'Character of the Week' doing missions (apart from Lorne and possibly Zelenka), which could result in the Star Trek: Voyager problem (So many different background characters, yet the crew is only supposed to be 150 and isolated from Earth, but most people who do these background roles only come for the one episode).
    - Paperwork
    - Paperwork
    - Paperwork
    - Paperwork
    - Report to commanding officer
    - More paperwork
    - Eat
    - Talk
    - Sleep

When you watch Sci-Fi, you have to take it with a grain of salt. Yes, it's nice when they try to make things perfect to the status quo, but when it comes to science fiction, you just can't do that. People watch Atlantis to see our heroes enter peril and see how they get out of it, not to watch them sitting at a desk or console for 40 minutes doing paperwork while No-Name Team Epsilon goes out to blow up a Wraith Hive Ship. If that was the case, why have main characters at all? ("This week on Stargate: Atlantis, watch as Lieutenant Joe Smith IV and his team of Elite Russian Commandos infiltrate a Hive Ship to save Doctor Christopher Allen, all the while, our hero, Colonel Sheppard, faces a budget crisis as he argues with Woolsey over money spent on a new reloading mechanism on Atlantis' P-90s! All this and more this week on Stargate: Atlantis!") I personally don't focus on these kinds of issues. I watch Stargate: Atlantis as it's quality entertainment, and if there are a few errors that don't conform to real-life standards, then so be it. We're Human, we're not perfect, and neither are the writers.

My two cents.
    Last edited by Enzo Aquarius; 02 September 2008, 10:41 AM.

Comment

"if Stargate was made to be perfectly in line with what the Human belief is, the show would be best suited for viewing by Vulcans:"
      LOL... i love that so verry true...
      I'll take a show for Humans for one plese.
      and your two cents... are so verry much the wisdom of merden....
      honestly this show is about friends who live in another galexy....
      not a garison of spc.forses men on high alert in bagdad...
      its fiction INJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!

And my two cents go along with this ones:

Originally posted by perkin127 View Post
      In my opinion if your going into wraith territory your going to want your best team, thats shep, ronon and teyla, also the whole idea for going was to say goodbye to Rodney, for his friends to be there, what would be the point of him feeling better for a day with a load of marines? They knew it was dangerous but have always put their life on the line before, and as for Keller she was also his friend as well as a doctor, i mean hes just told her he loved her she has just as much right to be there as the others even if she wasnt a dr!
      totly right i don't care what amount of risk there was for me...
      if the man who loved me was going you better bet im going to be there with him...
      even if i had to defiy orders to do it!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X