Possible Mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Mistake

I was thinking did they move the gate out of the water using the puddle jumper? I just checked and Ronin carries him through the gate and as we saw, it was underwater.

Yeah, that whole part was a little confusing. But here's what happened:

1. Team Sheppard gates to flooded planet. The outgoing-from-Atlantis wormhole shuts down.
    2. Realising the problem. Sheppard dives into the water and dials Atlantis, telling them to keep the shield up. Unfortunately, now that the wormhole is incoming-to-Atlantis, the water's pressure will keep the gate open for 38 minutes.
    3. Team Sheppard waits for 38 minutes, the outgoing-from-their-end wormhole shuts off, and Atlantis dials in, sending their jumper. The gate shuts off again.
    4. Here's the thing. They can't dial Atlantis again because that'll be the same problem as when Team Sheppard dialed back; they'd have to keep the shields raised or else the water would come through and flood the tower. Thus, they have to wait until the water recedes, which they do.
    5. 9+ hours later, the water recedes, the gate is left above the water line, they dial Atlantis, and walk through while the Jumper tries to find Dr. Nichol's team.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Thus, they have to wait until the water recedes, which they do.
      5. 9+ hours later, the water recedes, the gate is left above the water line, they dial Atlantis, and walk through while the Jumper tries to find Dr. Nichol's team.
      I dont think this was mentioned, but it makes complete sense

Comment

Originally posted by deagletime View Post
        I dont think this was mentioned, but it makes complete sense
        Wolsey asked Sheppard "Why didn't you bring the jumper back?" and Sheppard replied "I sent it out to look for Nichols team, they might still be alive."

And before that, Sheppard said they would wait in the jumper until the water recedes, he specifically told McKay he would be warm in the jumper

I may be paraphrasing though, but basically that's it.

Comment

LATER. Team Sheppard hurries through the Gate into Atlantis' Gateroom. Ronon is carrying an unconscious Rodney in his arms, wrapped in a blanket. A medical team is waiting and Ronon lays Rodney down on the gurney.

KELLER: How long has he been unresponsive?

TEYLA: Since he fell asleep in the Jumper -- about nine hours.

KELLER: OK, let's get him to the Infirmary. I want him under a scanner. (She looks at the rest of the team.) I wanna have a look at you guys too.

DEX: We're good.

KELLER: By that, I mean now.

(The medical team wheels Rodney away, the others following. Richard falls into step with John.)

WOOLSEY: I think you've just made a case for my proposal to send a M.A.L.P. ahead of every single transit.

SHEPPARD: Stuff happens, Woolsey, and by "stuff," I mean ...

WOOLSEY: I know what you mean, thank you. Why didn't you return in the Jumper I sent you?

SHEPPARD: I ordered the rescue party to continue the search for Nichols' team. There's a chance they're still alive.

WOOLSEY: Of course.

SHEPPARD: I'm gonna go checked out and then I'm gonna check on Rodney.

Comment

What they should have done is dial an unpopulated planet or spacegate in the jumper then dial Atlantis
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              What they should have done is dial an unpopulated planet or spacegate in the jumper then dial Atlantis
              But then any potential survivors would've had less of a chance as every second counts in a situation like that. Despite Mckay's declaration that they were of course dead in his self assured matter, there was a possibility that at least someone survived and in that case the more time they wasted, the less of a chance they had. Mckay's life wasn't on the line, he was just sick and cold (as far as they knew). So, they were right to make starting the search right away the priority, rather than wasting an additional 38 minutes at another gate so they could first drop them off at Atlantis. What they really should've done was sent multiple jumpers. That way they'd maximize their searching capabilities and they'd be able to spare one to take the team home.

Comment

They choulda done the extended jumper shield thing like in Grace Under Pressure, let the team walk thru the gate normally, then flew off to search for the redshirts.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                  They choulda done the extended jumper shield thing like in Grace Under Pressure, let the team walk thru the gate normally, then flew off to search for the redshirts.
                  yeah but who was gunna do that, mckay? good idea tho

well i guess this answers the question in the forums what happens when u activate a stargate in the ocean. water will flood in for the 38 minutes, guessin in sg1 on the water planet the living water jus held themselves and didn't go thru.

but thats only sheps assumption, who knows if they did lower the shield would the gate still let the water thru?

they cud of tested it. ya know lower the shield and if water comes thru activate it again. not really worth the risk tho.

Comment

Originally posted by x303 View Post
                    yeah but who was gunna do that, mckay? good idea tho

well i guess this answers the question in the forums what happens when u activate a stargate in the ocean. water will flood in for the 38 minutes, guessin in sg1 on the water planet the living water jus held themselves and didn't go thru.

but thats only sheps assumption, who knows if they did lower the shield would the gate still let the water thru?

they cud of tested it. ya know lower the shield and if water comes thru activate it again. not really worth the risk tho.
                    yah coz if it had come throw it might have pulled in the person in the water and if they rased the gate befor the person was pulled in... dead person.

all in all i think they did what was best for both atlantis, the team and what servivors there might have been from the camp.

Comment

On the daily logs Rodney says he loves Jennifer on day 06. When you first see the start of the scene, when Jeanie interupts, the time of the recording says 21:16. And then at the end when you see the whole scene the time has jumped to 22:14 even though part of the scene is repeated.

Comment

They should've dialed a space gate address and watched as the water flies off into space. Once water level recedes in 38 min it may be enough to dial Atlantis and go through with some water for a few secs as they pass through and raise shield ASAP.

Problem solved. Or even just let some water through for the few secs and go direct to Atlantis. Seems more logical to me this way

Comment

I thought SG1 established that the gate can differentiate between what's trying to actually get through and what's just pushing on the wormhole.

sigpic
                          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Working...
                          X