This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please think people

Younger cast and younger audience does not mean we will have Stargate The O.C. or Stargate 90210 (I see these in almost every thread)

1) We cant have that young of a cast. Nobody will believe a 18-25 year old will be a lead guy (at least a Colonel). Hell Joe Flannigan is 41 and he played a Colonel. RDA played a colonel until season 8 (around 50 years old as an actor). Amanda Tapping Played a Major until Season 8 as well (year 40s actress)

we really cannot have an actor below age 30 on the show. Just think about it. They need to keep as real as possible, in terms of military. Nobody will believe a 20 year old as a colonel or even a major.

We do not know what they mean by younger yet. They could mean less technical talk (I am heavy into computers/math/physics and sometimes I dont get what they are saying for a while and I am almost done with college)

It could mean more action, and what is wrong with that? I loved SG1 and still do, and I love SGA. They are both different, which is what we need for the third one. SG1 was all about the gate and exploration. SGA was in the middle with some space action here and there. SGU should be more space IMO. I dont want SGU to be the same thing as SG1 is.

SG-1's biggest failing in its last few years, and Atlantis' as a whole, was too much emphasis on space ships and space battles when the core of the show was using the STARGATE (gee, imagine that) to explore the galaxy.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashX86 View Post

We do not know what they mean by younger yet. They could mean less technical talk (I am heavy into computers/math/physics and sometimes I dont get what they are saying for a while and I am almost done with college)
      maybe you should stay on for another year then
      sigpic
      EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
      -Liberty Prime

Comment

No, younger in of itself doesn't mean worse. But there is a rather large correlation between TV networks saying a show will be "young" (or "younger") and the show itself being "hip" and targeted at a teen demographic. It's not a fact, but it's certainly not unlikely either. I think you're fooling yourself if you completly ignore what the network is describing something to be just becuase 'it could be proven to mean anything.'
        I wonder if Teal'c ever has a bad hair day?

Linky
        Survey Safari

Comment

I understand you want to keep your hopes up, but its just gonna make Stargate: Voyager 90210 more disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
            maybe you should stay on for another year then
            Just because I dont know every single thing they say I need to stay in college to understand a TV show?

Im not going for a doctorate in physics, just a BS in computers with math and physics minor.

Comment

Just because I dont know every single thing they say I need to stay in college to understand a TV show?
              if its not a problem, why mention it? if it is a problem, i'd suggest 'yes'.

Im not going for a doctorate in physics, just a BS in computers with math and physics minor.
              thanks, ill sleep better tonight knowing that.
              sigpic
              -Liberty Prime

Comment

Ah cool, ill tell my friends that a requirement to watch stargate is time in a physics class.

I need to help my parents watch it sometimes, should they go to college again too?

Comment

yea people are dumb, they are taking this way to far just because they are all in a bad mood because of the cancellation. It does sound interesting but we know almost nothing about Stargate Universe yet, who knows it could turn out to be very awesome. Maybe base camp is just on the ship, and maybe the ship is in another galaxy, and they travel through the gates there (database in the ship) looking for a way home. There's a chance it rarely takes place on the ship that much. So just shut up and wait before you judge something.
                  I'm gonna miss SG1..
                  Season 10, Simply amazing... Bring on the movies

The ori are going down!!!

Comment

Ah cool, ill tell my friends that a requirement to watch stargate is time in a physics class.

I need to help my parents watch it sometimes, should they go to college again too?
                    you don't need to go to college to read a book, libraries and book shops have them. dumbing down the show so you people don't have to read is not a good way to go.
                    sigpic
                    -Liberty Prime

Comment

Hey I am mad too, but to think it will become the OC or 90210 is just stupid. I dont even know if you can become high enough in the military to be on these exploration at age 25 even.

Comment

I dont even know if you can become high enough in the military to be on these exploration at age 25 even.
                        Right, becuase television shows always get everything from reality right.

Linky
                        Survey Safari

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCarter View Post
                          Right, becuase television shows always get everything from reality right.
                          Didnt SG1 and Atlantis work with the military?

Comment

Yeah, but they weren't trying to appeal to a "younger" fanbase. Anyway the point isn't that they're going to be stupid and not do any background research, the point is that they themselves, the people working on this show, announced they want to appeal to a particular pyshcographic - one which they themselves declared to be "away from the sci-fi aspects" and more "character based." I don't know about you, but when I think of people who don't like sci-fi stories and/or plots, the last thing I think about is people who want everything to be accurate to the real military (as well as science). In fact that sort of thing is often a turn off for that kind of psychographic. Either way no they may not go out of their way to cast younger actors, but they are certainly trying to target a specific psycho, and as a result you can sure as heck bet that the style of this show, and all of it's elements, are going to reflect that.

Linky
                            Survey Safari

Comment

SG1 did... not so much with Atlantis. And it showed. *glares at Sheppard with anger*

Ace
                              "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Working...
                              X