This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: Universe - Uneeded Replacement or Welcome Continuation

I Personally have a Problem with all those nay-sayers who say Stargate: Universe is going to ruin the Franchise, as Have any of you actually seen it yet, No! You just keep saying that its a Voyager Rip-off and it isn't even aired until next summer.

Come on Give the Show a Bloody Chance.
    The same thing happned when David Tennant took over as The Doctor and Look Now - He's More Popular than Tom Baker and Christopher Ecclestone.

Please Just Wait until the episode has aired in the states or how is any show going to be better than it can be with you complaining that it's S**t Before its even begun.

You Should be Happy Theres another stargate series in production.

"We Are Pleased To Announce The New Series STARGATE: UNIVERSE is Coming Summer 2009.
    So Button It"
    sigpic

As long as they finish atlantis off with a bang, I don't mind.

I just hope they do something REALLY spectacular with Universe, because the story sounds really cool and mysterious. It's all about atmosphere and smart stories, and I don't mind that the team are younger, SG-1 were young too at one point.

They are NOT 17 year olds, I don't want to hear that anymore. Young means 20-30 years old.
    My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

A new Stargate series shouldn't mean "Shut up and enjoy it! It's Stargate and we're lucky to be getting it!"

If the new show's quality takes a nose-dive, or it strays too far from what Stargate is, why whould we fans watch it? Why should we settle for crap when we're used to quality television?

Please kindly keep your own orders to yourself, and people will keep theirs to themselves.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I was never an SG-1 fan. Can't sit through it. I loved SGA from day one. S2 lost its direction by being reunited with Earth. I still enjoyed the characters enough to stick with the show. S4's "improvement" left me with characters I barely recognized and not so great writing. S5 looks to be going the same route.

SGU is going to be the same folks who made a show I didn't much care for (SG-1) and took a show I liked very much (SGA) on a path that nearly ruined it for me. Same old TPTB means same old plots, same old mistakes (IMO) being made over and over again. I have no intention of putting myself through that.

I was never in it for the franchise.

Comment

if they really want to scare off the truly loyal viewer this what they can do, they can hire the cast of "the hills" add in ryan POS seacrist as the leader and just use the aurora set then have any offworld done with a green screen and save a boat load of money, science who needs science, who even needs to follow official stargate canon, i loved both SG1 and SGA, but if they think they can produce crap then slap stargate to title and expect me to watch, they are full of it, but we have zero say and little power over what is happening now,for years stargate has been good scifi, if it turns into anything else i and everyone else should wash our hands of it......

but to appease those who like whats going on it could be good could double the audience, it could recreate a feeling in stargate that some would argue has been missing for some time, or it could alienate the shows fan base a lead to very low ratings. Maybe ,just maybe they should have put some feelers out before making a game changing decision they way they have

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            A new Stargate series shouldn't mean "Shut up and enjoy it! It's Stargate and we're lucky to be getting it!"

If the new show's quality takes a nose-dive, or it strays too far from what Stargate is, why whould we fans watch it? Why should we settle for crap when we're used to quality television?

Please kindly keep your own orders to yourself, and people will keep theirs to themselves.

I Never Said That Basicaly You Should Shut Up And Enjoy it.
            I said Give it a chance.
            Two Totally Different things.
            all im saying is that it could be good it could be rubbish.
            The Fact People are slamming it before it has even aired is what is causing this thread.
            sigpic

Comment

But you're sort of ignoring the thread title in your actual post. "Unneeded Replacement."

Universe may be a good show. I'll probably at least watch the pilot, but there will be no Season 6 of Atlantis simply because of their wild urge to push Universe, and that bothers me.

So, no, I'm not happy that there's another show in production, because it's pushed the show I love out the door.
              Theoretically spoilerish:
              Spoiler:
              Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
                But you're sort of ignoring the thread title in your actual post. "Unneeded Replacement."

Universe may be a good show. I'll probably at least watch the pilot, but there will be no Season 6 of Atlantis simply because of their wild urge to push Universe, and that bothers me.

So, no, I'm not happy that there's another show in production, because it's pushed the show I love out the door.
                And also it says "or Welcome Continuation"
                Look I'm Not Trying To Justify SGA's Cancellation as it's the show that initially got me into Stargate.
                all i'm saying is don't condemn the show on the principalthat it has only been announced as SGA Cancellation has just been announced.
                I Never Said I was Happy I Just Said Give it a Chance.

I'm Thinking of posting another thread that explains this is a post to Say Give it a Chance as people seem to think i'm just praising this as a Shut Up And Enjoy post.
                I Haven't seen the show yet and i'm pretty sure none of the other people on this post have so wait until it airs next year dont condemn the show just because Sci-Fi Were the idiotss that cancelled Atlantis. I don't work for them.
                Read the Title of the God Damn thread for once, Please!
                Last edited by Rodney M. Caboose; 22 August 2008, 09:57 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney M. Caboose View Post
                  I Personally have a Problem with all those nay-sayers who say Stargate: Universe is going to ruin the Franchise, as Have any of you actually seen it yet, No! You just keep saying that its a Voyager Rip-off and it isn't even aired until next summer.

The same thing happned when David Tennant took over as The Doctor and Look Now - He's More Popular than Tom Baker and Christopher Ecclestone.

Please Just Wait until the episode has aired in the states or how is any show going to be better than it can be with you complaining that it's S**t Before its even begun.

I"m willing to give the show a chance. I am not, however, all that excited about it. Everything being said about it makes it sound like a cross between Voyager and BSG. I'm not a "younger" viewer, so obviously I'm not their target audience. My biggest beef with the show is that they cancelled Atlantis to bring this on. If it sucks, or even if it's good but I don't like it, I lose. My vote is for an Unneeded, or not needed yet, replacement.
                  Spoiler:
                  sigpic

Comment

I really don't want to have to get used to a new team. It took me two seasons to get enthusiastic about the Atlantis crew, and that was with McKay and Weir there to ease the transition. I do hope that there will be at least someone from SG-1 or Atlantis.

Comment

Well I am happy that Universe is starting up, but I wish It could have ran along side SGA for at least a year. As upset as I am about Atlantis ending, its not gonna stop me from enjoying SGU and the movies if they are good.

Perfecto!

Comment

In a weird sense I see it as both.

I can see SGU being used as a replacement to SGA, as it will be a newer, cheaper show to make than SGA and I would rather have both shows at the same time. However I also believe that SGU has a lot of potential and I think that it will be a welcome continutation.

To me, I think SGA was risking turning into SG1 in the sense that the true villain of the show was defeat, the replcators had shown up over the seasons and were taken care of and now a newer, more powerful enemy was being introduced. Instead of risking an Atlantis version of the Orii arc, by cancelling the show they can do that arc for Universe without risking turning Atlantis into something most fans objected to.

sigpic

Comment

It's hard to say that a TV Drama is ever 'needed', but that won't stop the good ones from being good and getting viewers.

I'll watch it with interest, and hope that it's my sort of thing. If it's not, no worries, there's a lot of successful TV SF that doesn't float my boat... but any popular SF show makes it easier for the next pilot of a SF show to be greenlit, so even if it's not my cup of tea there's a small upside.

"We Are Pleased To Announce The New Series STARGATE: UNIVERSE is Coming Summer 2009.
                          So Button It"
                          Would you mind not telling people to 'button it', only we have rules here about not dictating what show-related opinions people can or can't post.

Cheers

Madeleine

Comment

So Button It"

I'm really displeased with the "younger generation" comment...and I think doing that may alienate a lot of the current fans before the show even starts. I myself am not really looking forward to a bunch of younger, less experienced soldiers running the show.
                            It feels good to be alive.
                            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

I think SGU will either be awesome.... or diabolical.

The concept has grown on me in the past few days after the news has had time to sink in. This idea has alot of potential and could be fantastic if it is implemented correctly.

As for the age issue as long as the characters are mature and it doesn't turn into a soap I can deal with younger actors.... hell the stargate its self requires suspension of disbelief its just a matter of where you draw the line.
                              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Working...
                              X