Technological Singularity - Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technological Singularity - Discussion

I apologize if there is a better place for this, just let me know!

I'm doing research on Technological Singularity at the moment - where computers/machines become more intelligent and are able to think for/develop themselves.

I'm trying to come up with a list of Stargate episodes that deal with this theme. Obviously all episodes including The Replicators, but does anyone have specific episode titles that they're in? Also, I believe that Nanites would also fall under this - which episodes deal with them?

If anyone could help me out that would be great and does anyone know of any more episodes that deal with this?

Do you believe that Machines have the ability to develop this far? Or do you think that machines are only as smart as their creators? I'm finding it a very interesting topic so far.

menace- reese the mother of all replicators was a failed attempt to make a proper human android. Always in a child like state.

Progeny (SGA)

100 days- first encounter with nanites that self replicate

the real world (SGA) nanites try to take over wier.

well computers are much better at math than i will ever be, and they find more gramatical errors than i would ever find. If a programming could be found that would just assimilate information and use that information then yes but it would be so adjustable it may be vulnerable to tampering.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

machines can be somewhat self aware, yes. best way to do that, is to link every computer on earth via internet, and make it capable of info gathering, processing, and handling. you get a superentity capable of handling massive programms, problem solution, etc. only problem is, computers do what they are programmed to do. self improving would be possible to programm. however, doing so would be dangerous, as there can be to many consequences

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
        menace- reese the mother of all replicators was a failed attempt to make a proper human android. Always in a child like state.

Progeny (SGA)

100 days- first encounter with nanites that self replicate

the real world (SGA) nanites try to take over wier.

well computers are much better at math than i will ever be, and they find more gramatical errors than i would ever find. If a programming could be found that would just assimilate information and use that information then yes but it would be so adjustable it may be vulnerable to tampering.

we first encounter nanites in Brief Candle, thats the episode where op'nell is aged, not 100 days.

so yes
        sg - 1 s1
        Brief Candle - nanites aged O'neill
        Tin man - SG-1 are copied into robot bodies, though they remember being human and having emotions, they are essentially robots.
        s2
        message in a bottle - O'neill is taken over by an artificial entity through a spear in his shoulder, the "species" for lack of a better term just want to go to a new home.
        s3
        Learning curve - if i remember correctly the race use some kind of technology to download all the knowledge a person learns into the rest of the society, might not be what you are after.
        Urgo - chips placed into SG-1s heads make them see an entity called urgo, who is an artificial lifeform - this is the first episode of stargate where we question what defines a life.
        Nemesis - introduction of the replicators in there basic bug form.
        s4
        Small Victories - more info on the replicators and how they learn things
        Scorched earth - a space ship creates a life form in the form of the species on the planet they are terraforming to better communicate with the,, im not sure if he was a robot or a biological entity, either way technolody made him and taught him in less than a day.
        Entity - a malp is sent through the gate to a very advanced world (imo an ancient world ) and an entity is sent back through the feedback signal, this entity takes over carter, though it cant speak it can communicate and feels emotions etc.
        Enemies - more replicator stuff, though they are more used for dramatic effect in this ep.
        Menace - episode where we find out where the bug form reps come from. we see reese the robot with a childlike personality, who is responisible for destroying her world.
        s6
        unnatural Selection Probs the most important episode in terms of replicator evolution. First time we see human form reps, one seems more human than the others (fifth) this is because the others tried to correct reese's flaw in her programming, they see it as weakness and O'neille forces carter to take advantage of his humanity "you used his humaity against him"
        s7
        none
        s8
        New Order pts 1&2 here we see the reps return, this ime they are lead by fifth who is pissed with carter and seeks revenge, a very human quality, however being a replicator he can take it to levels no one ever has, inlcuding toturing carter and then trying to trick her into thinking she is living with pete on a farm having a normal life, which is what he really wants with her.
        Gemini - Replicarter tricks carter and fifth, having learnt betrayal from 5th who learnt it from carter, she now controls the replicator army.
        Reckoning 1&2 The replicators under the control of replicarter invades the milky way and begins to attack the goa'uld. in this two parter we destry the replicators in the milky way and believe we have seen the last of them.
        s9
        none
        s10
        none

SGA s1
        Hot Zone - nanites that act like a virus - believed to be an early version of the nanites that evolved into the asurans
        s2
        The long goodbye - here we encounter pods which can hold peopels minds and downlaod them into other bodies.
        s3
        Progeny Here we meet a species we think are ancients, turn out they are Asurans/Replicators - the first form of them in any known galaxy. some wish to ascend
        The Real world - here nanites attack Dr Weir mentally, making her believe she on back home on earth and atlantis and the SGC never exsisted, theya re trying to turn her into a replicator or sorts. she wins the battle
        The Return 1&2 - Soem ancients return and take back atlantis, the replicators then attack atlantis and take it over killing all but woolsey and O'neill. The Ancients believed the reps unable to attack them as it was in there base code. now mckay has messed around with the code so they can mess with it now too. sheps team destroy the reps by converting the shield too an AR wave.
        First Strike here we learn the reps are building war ships, so we destroy them and they retaliate forcing us to abandon the planet we were on.
        s4
        Adrift - Mckay and Keller turn on weird nanites again to save her life.
        Lifeline They use weir to infiltate Asuras to steal a zpm, here weir can interface with the reps subspace network. they get the zpm but weir has to sacrifice herself to help the team escape. mckay reactivates the code that makes the reps attack the wraith
        Millers Crossing here we see how earth is using nanites to cure medical problems, though its not perfected yet.
        This mortal Coil - we see as shep and his team discover they are not the real team but are biologically created copies made by the replicators who wish to ascend. they all die after helping the original versions.
        Be all my sins remembered the team, team up with some wraith and travellers after the reps have been targeting human worlds in order to attack the wraith. they send a fleet to distract the wraith whilst mckay sends a replicator down to the planet HE created who helps destroy them by magnatising the wraith (for lack of a better term) then blowing up the planet and destroying the replcators once and for all... or so we think when at the end we see weir and several reps on an aurora vessel stating they can now begin without having to watch over there shoulders.
        Outcastshep learns someone on earth has created a human form rep, one with limited regenerated abilities and no rep powers. it escapse. they stop it with the help of another replicator created by the same man, though this is the first rep we have ever seen that was designed based on a human and has her memories and personality.
        s5
        Ghosts in the machine
        Spoiler:
        The "real" weir returns after having "digitally ascending" though not really ascending, described more as the worst migrane ever and lots of noise and light. she and 8 other reps come to atlantis so that they can have physical form again, they all agree to have rep bodies then in them build human bodies and transfer the minds into them. this goes wring when one of the reps betray weir, she stops him. at the end weir and atlantis trick the remaing reps to step through the gate into space, along with weir. so the last remaining reps are frozen in space...aswell as weir (sobs)

Ark of truth
        Spoiler:
        The IOA uses bug reps as a fail safe to destroy the ori followers in teh ori galaxy. they have a kill switch.

hope that helps lol.

Click Signature for my take on all things in life, also known as my BLOG!!
        Please Read and if it interest you make a comment

Atlantis -
        SG1 -

Comment

You forget the episode Avatar, the virtual reality chair is linked to Teal´c mind and uses it to change the VR beyond the parameters.

Comment

i thought about that, but i wasnt sure.
            i also forgot double jeoperdy (sp) where the sg1 robots help kill cronus.
            the theme of them being real or not is brought up.

Click Signature for my take on all things in life, also known as my BLOG!!
            Please Read and if it interest you make a comment

Atlantis -
            SG1 -

Comment

Working...
            X