Letters From Pegasus (117)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letters From Pegasus

Well, I didn't think it would come in the first season but here it is... Atlantis's first clipshow! Feel free to get up and get a beer or maybe a couple of snacks while Atlantis reminisces about the good old times. Actually, it isn't much of a clipshow as it is a hybrid clipshow/character revelation episode/Stargate episode so those of you worrying flat up about it being 100% clipshow can feel relieved, but the fact of the matter is; it's still a clipshow.

Through the guise of sending a message to Earth, every one of the Atlantis crew is allowed to record videos and through them, we learn something about the characters. Some of it may be substantial, others minor, others we already know about but the point is is that it allows us to get into the characters a bit more then normal. Becketts revelation about stuff regarding her mother is good but when it actually gets into her mother, it paints Beckett as something more, something human... Same goes to John (or whoever his name his) who's message to his son has got to be one of the deepest things about his character; both of their revelations allows us to see an emotional side that lies deep down within them that makes them more then just characters. This type of stuff is something that you can't get from any ordinary episode, it takes a certain situation that provides them the opportunity to reveal this stuff and that alone makes the emotional reveals that much special. Of course there are also the humorous ones such as the one involving the Japan doctor; I honestly haven't noticed her at all but it is nice they're giving her a chance to speak though much of what she does is talk about McKay as if she had a crush on her, it's nice to know she has something for McKay and it's nice to give her some background and attempted to include some humor but honestly she fell flat for me; I do take pleasure in knowing that she'll likely contribute to a future McKay episode later in the future.

Now is your chance to shine...

There are also the familiar that's reinforced here. I quite liked Weir's message; it just accurately showed her character and reinforced it in a positive way. As she sends message to all of the families and feels compassion for the people who've died; she's showing to us that she cares about everyone, that she would like to do the things she wants despite the limitations that surround her. Most people already know that about her character but watching her be compassionate and empathetic, you won't even mind that it's common because you'll realize it's something that's an ever essential part of her character. If you've watched her from the beginning then you'll appreciate just how amazing Weir is as a character. Rodney records a one-hour video where he sprouts out about various stuff but manages to sidetrack himself speaking about personal opinions and getting shy while never getting to talk about the one thing he wanted to talk about... While some of it does reveal his personality, I just found it a pain to watch mostly because McKay doesn't have the adamance to make these scenes bearable; even when he does talk about Samantha Carter. The only thing I liked about it was the end where he makes a statement to his sister that's as sweet and compassionate as it can be; otherwise his video serves to reinforce the obvious, that McKay is this egotistical, self-centered person who's main skills come from his intelligence but desires more to be annoying then anything else.

The Czechian doctor describing the pilot in Czech for his family to see is something nice in that shows the excitement of certain people. I like the fact that there are people onboard Atlantis who are excited enough to spill the beans; I mean sure, it may have been just for the clipshow but it showcases the excitement and amazement of all people, who doesn't want to explain what they just saw to their loved ones? specially something as amazing and awe-inspiring as the things they just saw. It's just something that shows the excitement in people, nothing more, nothing less and they haven't forgotten about the hard stuff too, Shephard gets his chance to remember a one-off character (who mostly everybody has forgotten including the audience) and Weir gets to show us that thing that she desires for back at home and both of those moments show off their characters in a way that's good; all in all the look into our characters is satisfactory but we must not forget that this is a clipshow, you could argue that the clips are short and they're good selections but still, they're showing scenes from the previous episodes in certain contexts for the people who are just joining Atlantis or have forgotten about those scenes entirely. Sure, we all like to reminisce but only when I'm watching TV; not when I have all of the episodes on a DVD readily available to watch. As such, I'm not a major fan of clipshows.

At least this mixes stuff up a bit.

They do include something that could resemble it's own episode and it does prove that this is more then just a clipshow. Shephard and Teyla heading out to examine the Wraith and potentially save some people is a nice way to keep people engaged and prevent the show from 100% entirely consisting of clips. It seems like that with ever society of people Teyla makes, we learn a little more about her and that's good because Teyla is a character oozing with personality and to see them exploit that just makes it happy; we also get to see the Wraith culling and destroying a city for a long amount of time and to see the effects it generally has on a city, who knew that it could be so deadly? Unfortunately, with much of that comes scenes which generally play the waiting game and though there is some dialog involving the desire to help, taking on an entire Wraith army by themselves and leaving behind people and taking things which help to give the scenes some metaphorical ground which the genre is know for, it still feels like we're mainly watching them as they watch the city get culled. There is some action in the form of Shephard and an unexpected something which shows how powerful and deadly the Wraith truly are but you'd have to wait along time in order to see those scenes and is watching through a bunch of scenes where nothing happens truly worth it?

I'll admit, I went into this expecting a clipshow but I came out pleasantly surprised; mainly because it wasn't the clipshow I thought it would be. We get some insight on the characters and it proves to be pleasantly decent but let us not forget that this is a clipshow and such it's repeat viewings are limited. Through every good moment you have to deal with the fact that this was designed to show new viewers things that happened or recap viewers about the events that have happened. Sure it has a plot but all the plot does is set up the moments where the clips do appear; it's a decent character episode but it's still a clipshow and it's rewatchability is severely impacted by that one single fact.

6.0/10
    Back from the grave.

Comment

I enjoy this episode. It's got a lot of little character gems.

Some of my favorite parts:

Weir speaking to the families of the fallen. Torri just knocked it out of the park. She's got some real dramatic chops to just sit in a chair, speak straight on to camera and move me to tears. Really well done.

Carson blubbering for his mom.

Zelenka giving away all this classified info because Ford doesn't speak Czech.

Then there's McKay and Leadership! I've been teaching a class on leadership for the last year. Whenever I'm preparing a lesson I think of McKay.

I also wish I could see Sam's reaction (and Jack's) when she sees his confession of love.

I am not a Kavanaugh hater. I think Weir did treat him badly and did inappropriately dismiss his concerns. He has some points with his complaints.

The Teyla/Shep story is really overshadowed. I'm not sure who's side I come down on with this one. Once again Shep shows that he is unwillingly to listen to anyone and makes decisions totally to suit his own desires. If the people on the planet mattered to him he would have had no problem risking the mission to save them. So he said all the right things for all the wrong reasons. On the other hand, Teyla was willing to risk the mission because of her personal feelings. She did the same thing in The Storm. Once again it shows a lack of protocols that keep everyone working from the same playbook.

Comment

I find myself agreeing with Shep on this one. They are at war and at war their are casualities. If they try to save every last person like Teyla's friends then they probably would have died a lot sooner. I empathize with what Teyla is saying but you have to look at the big picture. Worrying about every little person is just not a good stragety. The clips were interesting to say the least. Some more than others. I can just imagine what Jack would say after watching Kavannagh. He would probably just throw the tape in the trash given the low tolerance Jack has shown to have from people who bicker and whine. The McKay ranting was funny but got boring after awhile. Weir's stuff made me kind of sad. This episode gave me a lot more respect for Bates after I just thought of him as a jerk in previous. That light beam on the planet still annoys me. It has always annoyed me how we never really found out what the Wraith were using that thing for
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          That light beam on the planet still annoys me. It has always annoyed me how we never really found out what the Wraith were using that thing for
          I think they use it to tag the planet. (I think)
          sigpic

Comment

Or fuel their ships seeing as how they are semi-organic. *shrug*
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

In one of my stories, not published on my site yet, I have the Wraith beam weapon be a form of an electromagnetic weapon designed to disrupt the frequency of Asgard beaming technology, indicating that the Pegasus Asgard were there. I also took it to be the definitive episode (sorry to all you Teyla/Sheppard people) that proved Teyla wasn't going to be with Sheppard. Some lines you just don't cross, they're deal breakers. And when Teyla answers Sheppard's "What do expect from me?" question with "Too much I fear", I take that to mean that Sheppard hit the deal breaker moment and while he may be hot for Teyla, she's not going to be so hot for him, it'd be pretty hard for someone like Teyla to just forget that trying to abandon people she considers family to the most brutal culling she's ever seen in her life (and that's alot of cullings) if she hadn't intervened while Sheppard was gone and brought some villagers onboard the jumper.
              sigpic

Comment

This was a pretty good clip show. I agree with someone that said you kind of forget it is a clip show.

This is my first time watching this episode. I thought Pegasus in the title was in reference to Pegasus the ship. It didn't click with me that they were in the Pegasus galaxy until after I watched the entire episode and thought about it a little.

The one thing I thought was a odd is Teyla dropping the cloak to rescue the family. I think she could have just poked her head out and waved them inside. Also with the number of times Shep and Teyla go off mission to what their heart feels I would never let them go anywhere.

One really good moment that I liked is where Weir is talking about two dead background characters. I like seeing that they actually care about their people.

Comment

Yea, i wish we had more instances of that.. seeing wier/hammond/landry writing letters to the next of kins of fallen troops.

Comment

I find that Stargate sets a new standard for the 'clip show'. In older shows from the eighties, like MacGyver, this type of episode was a stolen evening, especially in old times when one had to wait for the next week and couldn't just skip to the next part. But all episodes of Stargate, including this one, have a strong script that significantly advances the story. I also liked "Disclosure" from SG-1. Only after watching them I realized, hey, they are clip shows.

All the recorded messages seemed moving to me and didn't leave me indifferent. Sergeant Bates unexpectedly showed his human side, while he's usually a military "yes, sir" man. The little brother can be proud of him. Both Tayla and Sheppard had good arguments while planning the rescue.

I also rather liked McKay and could identify with him a little. Since communication with Earth was the result of mainly his effort, it is only fair that he gets to consume a disproportionate amount of bandwidth, and shouldn't have an strict need to ask for permission to do that. Military and government people usually get that right just by being there, which I can't approve. And I heard McKay values cats from a rational perspective. Just like cats tolerate humans.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                      I also rather liked McKay and could identify with him a little. Since communication with Earth was the result of mainly his effort, it is only fair that he gets to consume a disproportionate amount of bandwidth, and shouldn't have an strict need to ask for permission to do that.
                      He's just as much part of the expedition and everyone should have just as much time to send a message home. He's no different or special than all the other members of the expedition. And he sure did not do it all on his own, as much as he likes every one else to believe. His longwinding talk in front of the camera was hilarious at best, only at at the very end he realizes he should say something profound.

Comment

He isn't? The expidition would not have survived as long as it did up till then was it not for Mccay's mind, and them even getting to send messages home was not going to happen was it not for him.

Comment

They would have, we just didn't get to see the other smart people on that team... sadly. So, no... he isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            They would have, we just didn't get to see the other smart people on that team... sadly. So, no... he isn't.
                            Despite later efforts to ridicule Zelenka, at this point Radek is just as qualified as Mckay.

Comment

One of my favorites. So much tension between Sheppard and Teyla.
                              sigpic

Comment

I would side with John, because he is right. But I completely understand Teyla's position. I don't know if I could knowingly let people I care about die if there is a chance I could help. This was a good episode. And the letters were so touching... except Cavenaugh's.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X