Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im not sure Im a Stargate Atlantis fan anymore? Can anyone help me back!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not sure Im a Stargate Atlantis fan anymore? Can anyone help me back!

Well I should start by telling you that SG1 is my favorite show of all time. I was pretty thrilled when they announced atlantis. I loved the 1st season, thought it was awsome, really liked the second season too. I really started to dislike the show in the 3d season. By then, it seemed to me that they had really dumbed down the wraith for one, they really werent that scary anymore, the ancients I thought were too humanized, didnt really feel like the most advanced race of people we had ever met. And then, they bring in the asurans who are like a neutered version of the original replicators, not really intimidating or scary at all. Then season four comes, they kill off weir which I hated, I really liked her character, and at this point it just seems like many of the episodes are just rehashed ideas already done in other series, every problem they encounter seems to be solved by rodney typing on his little PDA thing, for the last 2 seasons, there are very few episodes progressing the acutal wraith storyline that was really focused on more in the 1st 2 seasons. And after watching 4 full seasons I honestly can say that the team interaction is nowhere near that of SG1, and 4 years later I dont think the characters with maybe the exception of rodney and shepard are even developed to the point that the original sg1 team was after the very 1st season! Now Amanda Tapping is gone and they pissed off Tori Higginson so bad that she dosent want to come back (cant say I blame her) It seems like the cast is just like a revolving door at this point. More and more I feel like Im having to force myself to watch through these. Im not looking to get flamed or start a flame way, I guess Im wondering if anyone else feels any of this stuff Im feeling. Maybe some of you can even help me to get back into it.
    SG-1 Rocks!!

Another gripe I have that I forgot to mention is that "stargate" atlantis sometimes feels like it has nothing to do with the stargate anymore! lol Ive seen whole episodes where they dont even turn it on! Even the enemies are bland, I mean who does atlantis have? Michael? Comare him to Ball or Anubis, even the Oraci or 5th. Am I being too hard on Atlantis???
    SG-1 Rocks!!

Comment

Well I have to agree that most of the ideas seem to be recyled and they are lacking in anything really new, but Scfi episodes are for the most part recycled in one way or another because there are so many ways to spin the same idea. Some SG-1 eppisodes are reused storylines almost identical to some trek storylines so that cant really be helped. As for the whole Wier Carter issue I was a big fan of both also and dissapointed to see them both go but i think that Woolsey will be a good fit. Being a bureacrate I think he will have a more diplomatic leadership style kind of like what Elizabeth had. A style which I thought was much need in Atlantis. And has for team chemistry they dont seem to be as tight as SG-1 was but I think that close knit chemistry feeling is down played by Mckays constant whining. In terms of rekindiling your Stargate Flame all i can suggest is to keep watching and see if you see something you like, otherwise you can alwasy still watch season 1 and 2 over and over again.

Comment

What you have to remember with not turning the gate on is that SG-1 was all about exploration of the galaxy and while Atlantis is about that too its mostly about exploration of the city of the ancients and unlocking its secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Ackeb View Post
          Well I have to agree that most of the ideas seem to be recyled and they are lacking in anything really new, but Scfi episodes are for the most part recycled in one way or another because there are so many ways to spin the same idea. Some SG-1 eppisodes are reused storylines almost identical to some trek storylines so that cant really be helped. As for the whole Wier Carter issue I was a big fan of both also and dissapointed to see them both go but i think that Woolsey will be a good fit. Being a bureacrate I think he will have a more diplomatic leadership style kind of like what Elizabeth had. A style which I thought was much need in Atlantis. And has for team chemistry they dont seem to be as tight as SG-1 was but I think that close knit chemistry feeling is down played by Mckays constant whining. In terms of rekindiling your Stargate Flame all i can suggest is to keep watching and see if you see something you like, otherwise you can alwasy still watch season 1 and 2 over and over again.
          Its good to know Im not the only one feeling some of these things about the show.
          SG-1 Rocks!!

Comment

Atlantis isnt bad in my mind but in will never compare to SG-1. SG-1 will alwasy be the original and the far better show.

Comment

I don't think you're alone in any of those complaints. My biggest point of agreement is the team issue. I completely agree that SG-1 was a team at the end of season one, and Atlantis has barely done anything to establish their "team" in four years. I blame that on the fact that the writers ignore most of their characters for long periods of time. Most of the time, they focus on Rodney or Sheppard . SG-1 was sometimes guilty of the same thing, but they had a better balance between their four main characters. And they focused on teamwork in solving problems.

I've never watched Atlantis as religiously as I did SG-1. But I'm getting a big kick out of watching this season, partially because I still want to watch Stargate in some form, even if I can't have SG-1, and partially because I'm having fun picking the episodes to pieces. Which probably means I'm overly involved in the show, so I guess that makes me a fan. If an occasionally disgruntled fan.

Originally posted by Ackeb View Post
              What you have to remember with not turning the gate on is that SG-1 was all about exploration of the galaxy and while Atlantis is about that too its mostly about exploration of the city of the ancients and unlocking its secrets.
              It is? I don't feel like they've done much exploring of the city. And I think we learned more about the Ancients from SG-1 than we have from Atlantis. I think SGA is more about fighting the enemy of the week. It's more about battles and explosions. Exploration, through the Stargate or of the city, never seems to be a priority for them.
              Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
              Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

You aren't the only one. I've been a fan of the franchise since SG-1 began, but now I'm just watching out of habit, hoping something will spark the interest I once felt. And if something else is on that interests me, I don't watch Atlantis any more.
                I feel like there's not much point in getting invested in any characters other than Shepherd or McKay, because everyone else is expendable. And that instead of providing really good stories for the cast, TPTB try to create drama by replacing the actors on a regular basis. Somehow, SG-1 managed to maintain excitement with the same cast for years, so I don't buy that excuse at all.

This is the first year I haven't bought a season dvd in a long time. It makes me sad, but there it is.

Comment

I've also had those feelings for a long while now... since the third season, I should think.

All the things that you've wrote are true, in my opinion, but you're a little pessimistic here.
                  Look at it this way: SG1 had it's bad days... Atlantis obviously has 2 bad years, which is a long time, but things can still get right. Of course, in my opinion, it's better to not have a show than have a bad one, but while it's on, there's still a chance, isn't there?
                  And I hope that the fifth season will bring some changes. In writing, not with the cast. They do that too often, but the show is not the better for it.

And some other things: I think the main problem here is arogance. Atlantis program became a little too confident, don't really know how i should put it... but it seems that the show isn't as deep as it was, when we were small and in danger of being wiped out by the Wraith or in the case of SG1, goa'uld. The small things, the specialities, were important, but now there's just deadalous beaming people, blowing up and killing wraith. Too much technologies and not enough storytelling.

Comment

SGA is still young mabye the characters arent as gelled as SG1 but all the enemies you mentioned didnt come in till at least season 4 and that what SGA has just finished

SG1 Rules Always
                    Darth Bigron

Comment

SGA has shown itself to be a poor imitation of SG-1 and not a very good spin-off in my opinion. SG-1 had fantastic chemistry between the team members, well rounded characters (with the minor exception of Carter, who's still better than many of the SGA characters), and the cast mostly remained the same for many seasons.

Even SG-1 evolved from an exploration based show to a show about war...that still managed to crowbar some good ol' exploration in. And it had better enemies. The potential threat of the Wraith has been diminished with every episode, whereas the Goa'uld were still potentially unstoppable right up to season eight. The Asurans are essentially the writers admitting they've run out of ideas, I think, and yes, they are rubbish when compared to the replicators from SG-1.

As far as SGA's team is concerned, well...Shep's too arrogant and rude, McKay's too arrogant and whiny, Teyla's annoying (to me, anyway) and doesn't bring much to the table, and Ronon's too...too...what does he do besides grunt and shoot things? I still watch and vaguely enjoy SGA, but SG-1 is so far proving unbeatable.
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Wow, thanx so much for the responses thus far, its really good to know that alot of people have the same gripes as I do about Atlantis. Thank god Continuum is coming out! Im dying for some more sg1!! As for the above poster, this is the 1st season too that I havent bought as well. I just still cant understand how they could have screwed the show up this bad. From season 1, I thought the whole concept of finding the city of the ancients and finding a powerful new enemy like the wraith was great! But somehow they have just turned it into a wreck Im trying to figure out how the hell such a great concept went wrong? How come SG-1 was so good for so long but Atlantis seems to have lost its mojo after the second season?
                        SG-1 Rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                          How come SG-1 was so good for so long but Atlantis seems to have lost its mojo after the second season?
                          Three big reasons I can think of:

1) The team just doesn't have the natural chemistry that SG-1 had, both with each other and with the viewer.
                          2) Which do most viewers have more emotional attachment to? An incredibly advanced, alien and ancient city on a planet millions of light years away...or Earth?
                          3) The gate. C'mon, the SGC's gate sounds better, looks better, the juxtaposition of ancient alien tech interfaced with our recognisable engineering works well, and in some episodes, it was almost a character. Atlantis has...just another gate.

SG-1's chemistry seems almost accidental, and that's why it works. Rather than trying to force the chemistry, I think the writers simply addressed the semi-realistic needs of the SGC's flagship team - it needs a military leader, a physicist, an alien expert and a linguist/anthropologist. Only when they'd decided this did they analyse the respective personalities, write the characters accordingly and realistically, and realise where the conflict and chemistry comes up, how each character reacts etc. With SGA, I get the impression they intentionally tried to force the chemistry, possibly to distance it from SG-1, so the characters are less realistic - and their lack of a direct Daniel-analogue is a major flaw.

SG-1's predominantly Earth setting is one of its biggest strengths I think. It grounds it, it means we can directly, as an audience, associate and empathise with these people. An alien city just can't do that, no matter how cool a concept it is. Atlantis needed (or needs, if it can still be "saved") something to ground it more, draw it back from this generic sci-fi mish-mash its become.

And finally...SG-1's gate was awesome.
                          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
                            It is? I don't feel like they've done much exploring of the city. And I think we learned more about the Ancients from SG-1 than we have from Atlantis. I think SGA is more about fighting the enemy of the week. It's more about battles and explosions. Exploration, through the Stargate or of the city, never seems to be a priority for them.
                            The is the biggest missed opportunity of the whole show!!! They have a huge city to be explored, and after 5 years it's not even a priority???? Why aren't the scouting the city to find new technologies? Atlantis is pretty much just the control room, mess hall, and a couple of bedrooms........

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                              Three big reasons I can think of:

1) The team just doesn't have the natural chemistry that SG-1 had, both with each other and with the viewer.
                              I was going to say something about that, but you summed it up nicely. For some reason, the four main actors/characters on SG-1 worked exceptionally well together. They had this camaraderie that was obvious in every scene (well, almost every scene). For some reason, with the Atlantis bunch, that camaraderie just doesn't translate on screen as well. And I have no idea why. But on some level, I agree that you can't force that level of chemistry.

One of the other differences between SG-1 and SGA is the mythology. I've heard a lot of people say that they were drawn to Stargate because of the way it incorporated Egyptian and other types of mythology. And even Michael Shanks has said in interviews that he thinks the mythology component makes Stargate unique. Well, Atlantis doesn't make use of mythology. Given the name "Atlantis" you'd think they would, but nope. And it seems to leave a gaping hole. SG-1 felt more layered and complex because of that extra component, and it has always baffled me why the writers never tried to include some mythological elements in Atlantis. It was a major oversight, in my opinion.
                              Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                              Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Working...
                              X