• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'The Shrine' (506) General Discussion

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ATLANTIS - SEASON FIVE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 506

Rodney McKay is stricken with a mental affliction that robs him of his knowledge and memories, causing him to revert to a childlike state.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 12:22 AM.

Great episode!

I loved it! This was written and acted out very nicely. I liked the splice-ins of McKay's log of his thoughts.

I'm the smart person/McKay equivalent of my family so this episode really spoke to me about stuff. But that's another topic.

The flooded gate scene was cool. I saw the promotional pics before the episode aired and was wondering why they were sitting on top of the gate. Would water have gone into Atlantis if they dropped the shield? I was just thinking that they should sent a M.A.L.P. to every planet from now on to be sure and then Woolsey said it. Smart thinking.

I personally hate "fake flashbacks" as it's usually just lazy writing but not this time and it was done nicely, just like the whole Col. Mitchell F-302 thing. I like when they tie in an already existing episode for the explanation like in "The Seed" it was tied to being on Michael's cruiser in "Search and Rescue"

I was surprised to see Jeannie in it from the beginning, I figured we'd get to see when they brought her there. How did she get there? By gate or ship? But I guess that's what we get when they have to make room for commercials. Extended editions anyone?

The whole Shrine thing was very cool. Another Pegasus disease that Ronon and Teyla know about. I like episodes like this, it reminds me back in SG-1 when Teal'c knew all sorts of weird things that without him the SGC would never have known about.

The 2 hive ships on the top of the cliffs was cool. So much firepower just to destroy a M.A.L.P. - very smart to use a smokescreen to hide the jumper coming out of the gate.

Why was Keller so resistant to letting McKay go there? Other than her disbelief in the Shrine. Ronon's story was cool. Wow! Hunting at age 6! Did he have dreadlocks back then too? I mean in the show not in reality. Just a thought.

Sheppard having a beer (Budweiser) with McKay was a nice bonding moment, I wouldn't have expected something like that, I guess Sheppard does value McKay's friendship to some level.

So what would the Shrine really have been for it it was something the Ancients built? That was a cool byproduct of the radiation though.

I was wondering how Keller would do brain surgery in a wet and unsterile cave. Sheppard's DIY surgery was priceless! I didn't think that life signs detectors could be modified like that. I thought they already had that ability, remember Dr. Beckett used it to remove the tracking device from Ronon. The surgery scene reminded me of that scene a little.

The parasite coming out of the drill hole was cool, I didn't see that coming. A very nice twist.

What is with Keller and brain operations? She did that decompressive operation on Weir in "Adrift".

Ronon's shooting it was cool. Why take a chance just stepping on it?

Vala,
    Last edited by Vala_M; 22 August 2008, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Best. Episode. Ever.

Comment

Great episode, except for the ending McKeller scene. *hides from shippers*

This episode just proves that SGA was cancelled too soon.
        Last edited by naamiaiset; 22 August 2008, 07:12 PM.

Comment

AHHHH!

He loves her!
          He loves her!
          He loves her!
          He loves her!
          He loves her!
          He loves her!
          He loves her!

Now that that is out.

Best! Episode! Ever!

I will say more when I stop hyperventilating.
          sigpic

Comment

The only thing that "ruined" this episode for me was that in the back of my mind, I knew the show had been cancelled. I think it's gonna make the rest of the season bittersweet for me.

I put ruined in quotes, because it wasn't really ruined. This was my favorite episode ever! Just cast a bit of a pall I guess.
            sigpic
            It was Arrested Development

Comment

I'm no shipper but this was a beautiful episode.

Poignant, smart, surprising, sweet. It made me cry. And laugh.
              Just a brilliant script, and compellingly acted by all.

Cancelling Stargate Atlantis is a crime, an absolute crime.

Comment

I have not seen it yet! I had to go out so I taped it. Now I have to watch it!!
                there’s a decent living to be made in the selling out of ideals--Darren Hayes

Comment

With the exception of the end which kind of came out of nowhere for me (I don't get how one beer translates to I've loved you for a long time) and didn't work IMO, this was one of the best episodes ever. The scene with Sheppard and McKay on the pier was priceless. You can't buy that kind of chemistry.

I can't believe they are canceling a show of such high quality. Amazing chemistry, great characters, phenomenal acting. If anything, The Shrine makes me miss Atlantis even more.

Comment

What an amazing episode. Everyone was outstanding, but DH really blew me away with his performance. The scenes with McKay and Shep were heartbreaking.

It was great seeing Jeannie again as well. I imagine that might be the last we see of her.

Loved Ronon seeking Jeannie out. Only bad part of the entire episode was Ronon's wig though. Maybe its just that I know its a wig, but it just looks off to me. If that is what $10,000 buys I can think of better ways to spend the money.

I thought Teyla didn't get much use here, but everyone else just did a fantasic job.

Comment

Absolutely a great episode! The first episode in a very long time in which I wanted to watch it again after it was done. And the first episode, since the first season, in which I thought "Wow... this is really good. SG1, good".

Outstanding job for Brad Wright and David Hewlett. This one may be may favorite for the entire series. Who would have thought a character piece would take that honor in my book!

Great episode...

Ace
                      "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Absolutely - freakin' - great...

Loved it...

Comment

Hmm...Tao of Rodney redux. An incredibly slashy one too.

When Ronon comforted Jeannie in the hallway I kept thinking that she was crying at the awfulness of his wig.

Comment

Ok, after "Ghost in the Machine" I was sure the Shrine would not be that good. The previews did not really excite me.

Boy was I wrong.

The story, in an out of order sequence similar to "Tabula Rasa", was superb. I mean, it was smart, emotionally heartwrenching, and great. The character moments were spot on, everyone contributed, and nothing felt forced.

Kudos to David Hewlett. He was undeniably brilliant in this. The slow degredation of McKay, the childlike state he was left in, and even his panic upon regaining his sanity (I know I would have freaked out!), all of it was dead on and awesome. Sure, the arrogant McKay is played up a lot, but he really is a deep character, and this episode explored it perfectly.

And I have to say, the rest of the cast was great, especially Jason Momoa. I was really wondering how Ronon would be used in a McKay heavy, medical/science type story, but he shined as the humane figure. He was there to console Jeanie, caring for his friend (he even called McKay "buddy"), and his experiences ended up saving him in the end. And his "that's life" line? Great stuff. Also, Woolsey has seriously grown on me. His father's Alzheimer's history was a great touch, and as I have had a family member afflicted with Alzheimer's his performance seemed very real and believable to me.

Oh, and then there's the Sheppard/McKay scene on the pier. Great stuff. Since season 1 Sheppard has been the friend, he would not let anyone he cared for be left behind or hurt. I got shades of Hawkeye and BJ in MASH "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen" in that scene. Brilliant bit, especially McKay's "Arthur" joke.

I must admit, I am a Ronon/Keller shipper, so McKay's declaration upset me a bit, but it worked. Especially considering the minor flirting between Ronon and Keller (loved how he took her advice literally. I mean, as Sheppard pointed out, he could have just shot it. But, he did what she asked and shot it to a burnt crisp!), so it balanced out. Looking forward to see where the love triangle goes. I have a feeling "Tracker" is going to be very romance heavy.

There is so much I could say about this episode: acting, directing (yeah, who directed this?), CGI, everything. And I'm sure I'll get around to it. But simply put, great episode.

All in all, this is just another brilliant episode in Atlantis's best season. How the hell are they cancelling the series when it is at it's greatest moment? Episodes like this show why the show needs to continue.

5/5. Brilliant work, all around.
                            Rush rocks.

Comment

Best episode in season 5!

Comment

Working...
                              X