Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ark of Truth vs Continuum (Movie Evaluations)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ark of Truth vs Continuum (Movie Evaluations)

I'd like to start this thread with everyone thinking back to the very first Stargate movie. Personally, I liked it. It was something different, something of which hadn't been done before, something science-fiction based, and something that was based around a theoretical idea.

For those that are unsure what I mean by theoretical idea, I mean the theory that aliens came to Earth long ago, and helped construct the Pyramids and such. Anyway, the original movie was one of a kind. I didn't expect to see a series follow on from it, though was drawn to the series from day 1.

Ark of Truth, quite simply, was a finalisation to the Ori storyline. I didn't find the Ori all that great an enemy to be honest, but they did their part, and some aspects of their storyline I liked. Ark of Truth was only developed to finish them off (being that season ten could / did not).

Continuum, in a way, again was to finalise a storyline. This one being based around the Goa'uld, more specifically Ba'al. The Goa'uld have been the main enemy of Earth since the original movie, and the first SG-1 days.

They should both now remain finished, with the execution of Ba'al, there is little need for anymore Goa'uld storylines, nor are there any need for the continuation of any Ori storylines.

Ark of Truth was mostly based in the Ori galaxy, and had (I think) some nice character developments. We got to see how Teal'C felt about serving the Goa'uld (his talk with Toman), and we got to see a fair bit of action. There is also the Replicator twist, which I think is fair to say, nobody saw coming. Personally, I loved that part.

The major problem with Ark of Truth was that it didn't involve O'Neil. It was nice to see the end of the Ori in the way that they went too.

Continuum was completely different. We had O'Neil (great start), we also had the Goa'uld back, and we had multiple special-guest appearances. However, on the other side of that, we also have the famous "Reset". Having a movie of which results in one of these, I feel is pointless. It is like watching a film, or reading a book, where the person at the end wakes up, and realises all was a dream. What is the point?

I am also highly disappointed with the lack of involvement the Goa'uld were involved in this movie, moreso the other System Lords.
    Spoiler:
    We only saw most of them once, Apophis' role was lame, and Ra didn't even speak (well, he did, but only the same as the others, when leaving). Hardly worth the screentime.
    For a movie based on an Alternate timeline by Ba'al, there could (and should) have been some serious Goa'uld character developments, especially with Ra (of whom we know little about).

I think it is a fair assessment by me, to say that both movies were generally a disappointment. Both movies had a massive amount of hype, first with Ark of Truth. That was released, and people were disappointed (overall). We then got to find out a few things about Continuum, and again, there was so much hype, but yet again, the movie was released, and it wasn't all that brilliant.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the films, I am a fan of Stargate, and will continue to be so for many years to come. I just had hoped for a lot more in these two films, especially Continuum. Ark of Truth (like I said), was to tie up loose ends. Continuum was different, it was based in an alternate reality, and we could have had a movie based on so much more.

Ultimately, Ark of Truth and Continuum are totally different movies, about totally different events. One can't really compare them, at least, I don't think so. Both had their flaws, but likewise, both had their good parts. It is a shame that both had so much hype, yet were seen as a letdown by Stargate fans.
    sigpic
    It's Probin' Time!

AoT 6.5-7/10
    Continuum 4-4.5/10

Comment

Originally posted by cyberash View Post
      I think it is a fair assessment by me, to say that both movies were generally a disappointment. Both movies had a massive amount of hype, first with Ark of Truth. That was released, and people were disappointed (overall). We then got to find out a few things about Continuum, and again, there was so much hype, but yet again, the movie was released, and it wasn't all that brilliant.

Ultimately, Ark of Truth and Continuum are totally different movies, about totally different events. One can't really compare them, at least, I don't think so. Both had their flaws, but likewise, both had their good parts. It is a shame that both had so much hype, yet were seen as a letdown by Stargate fans.
      Continuum spoilers:
      Spoiler:
      Truthfully, it was also what I believe. Both film were a disappointment to me, especially AoT. I was really expecting more from AoT. I literally crashed down when I first saw it. The plot conviences and plot holes were soo incredibly big to ignore. But there were really good character moments and Tomin arc was wrapped up really nice. I had never been a fan of his character but it was great in AoT and the actor played his part very well. And there is that meaning in AoT, more than Continuum. You know the characters were suffering something, trying to do something. In Continuum in the other hand, it wasn't like this. It lacked that meaning, you know it's pretty much for nothing. Characters you're invested in even tried really hard to change things, they just reacted to the things happened them. I always knew that there was going to that Reset button at the end but we were promised to see a significant change in the timeline and great character moments and I was dying to see Vala as Qetesh and wonder how they would interact with each other but the execution of it was disappointing, IMO. I didn't see great character moments neither I saw a great insigficant change in the end.

Yes, they were entertaining but that's it. And even if Continuum is a better movie overall, I still enjoyed Ark of Truth more. In fact in Continuum the only things I really liked were Qetesh, she was so much fun to watch, saving grace of Continum, the interragation scene after the rescue with edited montage, their talk with Landry -really a great scene- and again edited montage we saw as they parted their ways, read to them their instructions and they listened it with that expression in their face. desperation and hopelessness. I think it would be really good to see how they passed that one year in that timeline, instead just single moments for every character. Not like Unending style with music, but like Window of Opp. style like what they did with Jack and Tealc in the timeloop.
      sigpic
      Banner made by Stef

Save the sexy female alien, save the SG-1

Comment

Continuum - 8/10
        Ark of Truth - 6/10

A much "more enjoyable popcorn experience", with 2 massive plot holes (Time travel... gotta luv it). I can even overlook the 2 plot holes because of the sightly altered timeline (here's hoping that the New Star Trek movie uses the same technique), because now we have a....

Spoiler:
        Moonbase? I nearly pee'd my pants at that one.

Comment

I wouldn't take that line too seriously if I were you.

Comment

Ark of Truth 7/10
            Continuum 9/10
            sigpic
            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              I wouldn't take that line too seriously if I were you.
              Natural vitamin D comes from exposure to sunlight. Lighten up dude, and stalk someone else.

Comment

Seek help.

Comment

AoT - 3/10. Much better than I expected.
                  Continuum - 8/10. Not as good as I expected but still pretty darn good.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Woot! another positive review.

Comment

I enjoyed both movies for their own reasons. AOT was a nice wrap-up to the Ori storyline, and Continuum was a great new adventure.

AOT - 8/10
                      Continuum - 9/10
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I preferred Ark of Truth. Continuum just seemed like a revamped episode with story ideas that had been done to death in the series and a very large reset button.

Comment

AoT - 1/10
                          Continuum - 6/10
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

AoT 5/10
                            Continuum 9/10

But I have to say that both movie had beautiful scenes, which could never happen in a normal television SG show. For example: a burning ascended Ori. I really enjoyed these Ori and Goa'uld stories, but I think they could be even more entertaining with more creativity.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              But I have to say that both movie had beautiful scenes, which could never happen in a normal television SG show. For example: a burning ascended Ori. I really enjoyed these Ori and Goa'uld stories, but I think they could be even more entertaining with more creativity.
                              you are so right
                              Stolen Kosovo
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X