Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder how much the Ancients did with information networks. If they didn't have them, I'd go back in time, slap the scientists, and then give them information on the internet and more importantlym google. I mean, did they ever think to make a search engine to find all that stuff?
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
    Caboose: They could be worse?
    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

I have a thought for post number 20 by liquid blue. one regarding the durability of the stargates.
      the ancients would have known that it would still be cheaper(asuming they even used currency)to make stargates that were close to indestructable due to the sheer nubers of gates throught the galaxy. i think it was said that there were over 63billion gates in the network. so it would be infeasable to go around repairing or replaceing that many gates.
      p.s. i know that's not how you write threads properly but i'm still new and haven't figured out the "quote" thing

Comment

Originally posted by wedge11
        I have a thought for post number 20 by liquid blue. one regarding the durability of the stargates.
        the ancients would have known that it would still be cheaper(asuming they even used currency)to make stargates that were close to indestructable due to the sheer nubers of gates throught the galaxy. i think it was said that there were over 63billion gates in the network. so it would be infeasable to go around repairing or replaceing that many gates.
        p.s. i know that's not how you write threads properly but i'm still new and haven't figured out the "quote" thing
        I would like like to add a little speculation.

Why did the ancients build the Stargates? I'm not sure that this question has ever really been explained. Maybe the answer is so simple that it doesn't need to be explained -- they built the stargates to get around. But from what has been revealed from Atlantis or even the engineering of the stargates and the stargate network it does not seem so simple.

The stargates seem to connect to worlds that never experienced a sustained Ancient presence. It may be that the majority of the stargates connected to planets that did not have a permanent Ancient presence. Why then were they connected? Did the ancients simply like the ability to go camping? Unless they brought transportation with them through the gate, despite the ability to travel to thousands of world, on the wild worlds they would be limited to traveling within a relatively small area around the stargate. Why then build the stargates to these worlds?

In reference to wedge11's thoughts, the advantages of building a low mantinence gate network only really seem apparent when the network is largely wild gates, those gates not associated with an ancient population. The Tolan have demonstrated that a small, moderately advanced population can re-establish contact with the gate network easily. Orlin show that a population with earth level technology can easily re-establish interstellar travel through the gate network.

The low mantinence, high-reliability gate network seems then to be required when high number of gates are placed away from Ancient or advanced civilizations. This may be done because the Ancient liked a 1000 different sunsets to be available at their doorstep, because the Ancients were building the gates to be of benefit to beings other than themselves, or because they Ancients desired gate travel to continue even if they themselves fell below the technological ability to maintain the gates.

Returning to the Atlantis experience, the ancients in Pegasus may have built the gates so that the scattered human populations could be a single community of humanity.

The Milky Way experience indicates the the gate network was created and left as a legacy, insuring that all worlds can gain simple access to the galaxy at large.

We have not yet received an understanding of gate use in the Orii galaxy. It seems possible that there gates a more restrictive, and possibly more utilitarian.

Comment

^^ damn good question, i hope TPTB read this and maybe explain the ancients purpose and thinking behind this exstensive gate network.

To me there are alot of unanswered questions about the ancients/alterans/lantians that seem to create what look like plot holes in the univereses backstory before the gould were on the scene. Which in turn makes the ancients technology not look up to par with all the hype.

At the moment the asgard look more advanced, i guess this could be explained with the fact the asgard have had the ancient repository to play with and build apon for the last 10,000 years but atlantis just hasn't been explained enough for it to feel as powerful as it should or at least i think so anyway.

The fact McKay has understood and manipulated the atlantis systems so quickly and apparently easily dosn't seem to fit. I guess this could be that the system the atlantis team use and apparently understand how they work are the most basic of systems on atlantis or that the ancients are so smart they take the KISS prinicpal to its extremes.

so what is the point of my post, well seems like nothing when i re read it but i just think it would only server to make better stories for stargate if they could flesh alot of this stuff out and then either explain or atleast hint at some reasons for this stuff.

also posible reason for all the gates in the alterans influanced galaxies (milky way, pegasus, ida) is the alterans belived in information for all so they build all these gates so the humans they seeded (again why did they seed these 2 galaxies with humans and did they seed any others) can share information with each other. but who knows so many holes in the backstory.

Comment

We already know why they built gate networks. I don't know why the people on this forum have to diss the creators so much. Like the show or not, it is your choice.

Comment

I think the ancients put stargates on every world they terraformed
              not necessarily on planets they lived on.

Comment

but that wuld make sense wuldnt it???
                tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
                yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
                Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Working...
                X