This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is SG-1/Atlantis filmed in 24fps?

Hiya, longtime Stargate fan here... I've just purchased SG-1 seasons 1-4 on PAL DVD and I'm interested to know if SG-1/Atlantis is filmed in 24fps or 25fps? Naturally I'd say 24fps, but MGM is from the UK so I thought why couldn't it be filmed straight 25fps if it's just for TV?

Also, if it's 24 fps, does anybody know if the PAL DVD seasons have pitch corrected audio? I would rather enjoy the original voices than 4% higher pitch, so if they're not pitch corrected I can do it myself. But I'll be shooting myself in the foot if I lower the pitch if it's already pitch corrected without me knowing it, voices will be then lower compared to original and will presumably sound funny.

It was not made for a UK audience. It aired on Showtime in the States. MGM is in the US, not the UK, and the show is shot in Vancouver, Canada.

It was originally shot on Super16mm which is 24fps and encoded to the proper frame rate. Even now it is shot 24 progressive fps in HD and is converted to 25fps in the encoding process.

However, none of this has anything to do with audio. The sound doesn't have a "frame rate" per se. In the mixing process, it becomes separate from the picture and can be laid down along with ANY frame rate and stay in sync and on pitch.

There is no reason to pitch adjust your sound, as it simply encoded properly with the frame rate that is being delivered. They aren't just speeding up the footage and matching the audio... they are applying a whole new cadence to the VISUAL footage in the process that puts this stuff on DVD.

*edited a crapload of times for clarity
    Last edited by editorguy; 03 June 2008, 04:05 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Okay, thanks for enlightening me.

As for finding out if the audio is pitch corrected, I think I'll have to compare an SG-1 episode in NTSC and then in PAL and look out for differences in pitch.

At the end of the day I'll be watching SG-1 in original 24 fps and with correct pitch.

Comment

You already are.

Comment

Whoa, nice edit!

You know, there are many PAL dvds out there that haven't been pitch corrected. Those responsible have just been lazy and just speeded up the whole package. Pitch correction is wildly irregular on PAL releases... And from what I've found out, SG-1 season 5 PAL for example was pitch corrected, but season 6 then again wasn't!

I think I'll just have to trust my ears and check the pitch. Good thing I have reclock, 24fps playback is much more enjoyable than 25fps. Now it's just this pitch correction stuff that's bothering me.

Comment

Film runs at 24fps, but I feel the need to point out that NTSC standard is 29.97fps (PAL 25fps).

And IIRC they've been filming with digital cameras rather than film for quite a number of years now.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Film runs at 24fps, but I feel the need to point out that NTSC standard is 29.97fps (PAL 25fps).
              Okay? What are you trying to say here, that stargate PAL dvds are converted from the NTSC video rather than straight from film?

I believe NTSC can also be 23,97fps but I don't know if any NTSC dvds use this framerate...

As they're currently filming in HD, I suppose 24 fps isn't used, but what do they use instead, 23,97fps?

Comment

Well, I seem to remember them switching off of film and straight to digital quite some time ago. And since they're filmed on this side of the pond that would put them (at least) at NTSC standard (29.97fps) as source level before conversion to various other formats.

As far as I know
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Digital comes in many frame-rates, even the cheap US HD cameras have 24fps as well as 30fps. It's likely that they are filming at 24fps on HD as the conversion process is less complicated across formats that way - Stargate is a major international franchise for MGM.

The best frame rate to bounce between PAL and NTSC is 23.97fps apparently, although it's been known to drive people insane...

Comment

Im appalled to hear that companies actually release PAL DVDs without redoing the transfer in some way to make the audio run regular speed.

thats ridiculous.

anywasy.. good luck with your efforts, sir. I cant imagine having to go through all of that to watch a show on DVD

Comment

and there is a pulldown applied to 24fps footage to make it run at NTSC compliant 29.97... but they definitely shoot it at 24fps.

Comment

Originally posted by editorguy View Post
                        and there is a pulldown applied to 24fps footage to make it run at NTSC compliant 29.97... but they definitely shoot it at 24fps.
                        And that's why NTSC sucks.
                        PAL users have the option to slowdown the framerate to the original 24 fps and perform pitch correction if necessary. PAL DVDs are also higher resolution than NTSC.

Comment

Originally posted by kutjong View Post
                          And that's why NTSC sucks.
                          PAL users have the option to slowdown the framerate to the original 24 fps and perform pitch correction if necessary. PAL DVDs are also higher resolution than NTSC.
                          woah dude, the 1950/60's called and want their format war back!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                            woah dude, the 1950/60's called and want their format war back!
                            Hah!

But seriously, all new TVs should just support 120 Hz and then if 25 fps PAL is used, just slowdown it to 24 fps and perform pitch correction if necessary. And then all movies should be released in their native 24 fps. This and 30 fps NTSC could be perfectly played back by 120 Hz being a multiple of them
                            Interlacing should also be banned, except for use in sport.

Comment

Originally posted by kutjong View Post
                              Hah!

But seriously, all new TVs should just support 120 Hz and then if 25 fps PAL is used, just slowdown it to 24 fps and perform pitch correction if necessary. And then all movies should be released in their native 24 fps. This and 30 fps NTSC could be perfectly played back by 120 Hz being a multiple of them
                              Interlacing should also be banned, except for use in sport.
                              or they could just stop using analogue broadcasts and go digital HD ;o

Comment

Working...
                              X