This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a stargate actually exists...

is it time now after something like 11 years for the people of earth to be told about the existance of stargate?

how will it affect my belief in jet powered DC-8s and galactic warlords blowing up volcanoes with people in them?
    sigpic
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
      how will it affect my belief in jet powered DC-8s and galactic warlords blowing up volcanoes with people in them?
      Imagen. you are a villager in P3X-2365.

You are near your stargate keeping taps on gate traffic. Then It dials!
      Out of the gate comes to men wearing black ties, white dress shirts with dark pants and shoes.

They are Jehovah's Wittinesses....What would you think? Gate to gate missionaries coming through your gate every day. From Catholics to Mormons and maybe even some Buddhist monks looking for a great new site to build a monastery...

I think that the Universe is not ready for an Earth Public that knows about the Stargate.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

there will be no affect on that belief. your freedom to surround yourself with hot liquid magma shall continue.

to the original post, in the short term you will have a lot of riots from the religious groups cuz their beliefs will be thrown into disarray. in the long run, all will be ok. i think the program should be revealed somtime soon, but keep Atlantis under wraps for awhile until things settle down.
        if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a photon torpedo.

Comment

Originally posted by sldghamr View Post
          there will be no affect on that belief. your freedom to surround yourself with hot liquid magma shall continue.

to the original post, in the short term you will have a lot of riots from the religious groups cuz their beliefs will be thrown into disarray. in the long run, all will be ok. i think the program should be revealed somtime soon, but keep Atlantis under wraps for awhile until things settle down.
          If the theory of evolution does not change peoples minds, what makes you think that the Stargate would be any different?
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

/slap
            Bad Thetan! You have ruined the secret of Dianetics!

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
              If the theory of evolution does not change peoples minds, what makes you think that the Stargate would be any different?
              I even said that in another thread...
              Religion is like an mutant virus, it just adapts =p

For example, there are some Christians that believe in the big bang.. They just say god made the big bang, and then their whole religion still has meaning...

I can see the religions just saying their gods made the alterans.. and that`s enough for them.

And I`m not so sure about those riots everyone talks about, I mean, if we were on face of alienation that`s ok.. I`m one of those who wouldnt go to work... ( If we are going to be destroyed, why would I go to work ? Get my pay check in the next life ? )
              But with the way the MW is right now, there`s no eminent danger, and we are now quite capable of defending ourselves against most races we have seen.

The "IOA" or whatever organization responsible for the whole offworld thing would have to keep people from trying to convert another planets and all..
              And.. considering people met the ori.. I think if someone were to step trough the gate talking about religion they would be shot on sight =p

Comment

Originally posted by Unbreak View Post

The "IOA" or whatever organization responsible for the whole offworld thing would have to keep people from trying to convert another planets and all..
                And.. considering people met the ori.. I think if someone were to step trough the gate talking about religion they would be shot on sight =p
                I doubt it. Daniel was quite successful in converting worlds with out the use of threats "The Shroud".

Just cause of the Ori, people would be more skeptical. Then again, had you ever had a Jehovah's Wittiness come to your door? They don't talk like the Ori. They use deferent speech patterns. Such legislation would be illegal on many countries any way.

Perhaps converting Baal to Judaism would solve our problems...
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killjoy_Zero View Post
                  /slap
                  Bad Thetan! You have ruined the secret of Dianetics!
                  sorry about that, having trouble differentiating between my internal monologue and posting a reply...... my bad
                  sigpic
                  -Liberty Prime

Comment

Speaking of which, here's a question that bugs me: would Milky Wayans reject the revised Origin (see end of AOT) on sight just because of its negative associations with the Ori?
                    Stargate Wiki

Fanfics: 2008

Comment

If the americans came up and said that a stargate woz real ect, not many views would be changed and i mean many religions adapt to wot science descovers all the time;

"God creat earth" then science says no a massive collision formed the earth and all religion says is oh well god did that then.

The most likly big task is the other countries around the world hating the yanks coz all of the tech thay got

ps soz for the spelling in a rush
                      We need a Zed-PM to power the gate.
                      Huh?
                      Zee-PM He's Canadian.
                      (to McKay) I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by sldghamr View Post
                        to the original post, in the short term you will have a lot of riots from the religious groups cuz their beliefs will be thrown into disarray.
                        Not really, no. There's plenty of support for the existence of extraterrestrial life in the Hebrew Bible, so the Jews and the Christians would simply go back to the bookshelves and draw on a vast number of theological works from antiquity and the Middle Ages. Not sure about the Muslims though. The Buddhists would probably not care either way, so I guess it's mainly the pagans and the animists who would have issues.

The real trouble would actually be the popular paranoia. If it came out that the Goa'uld exist and anyone can be implanted with one, Earth governments would have a massive lynch spree to contain.
                        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                          Not really, no. There's plenty of support for the existence of extraterrestrial life in the Hebrew Bible, so the Jews and the Christians would simply go back to the bookshelves and draw on a vast number of theological works from antiquity and the Middle Ages. Not sure about the Muslims though. The Buddhists would probably not care either way, so I guess it's mainly the pagans and the animists who would have issues.

The real trouble would actually be the popular paranoia. If it came out that the Goa'uld exist and anyone can be implanted with one, Earth governments would have a massive lynch spree to contain.
                          surprise surprise!! changing the story to suit their needs yet again
                          sigpic
                          -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                            I doubt it. Daniel was quite successful in converting worlds with out the use of threats "The Shroud".

Just cause of the Ori, people would be more skeptical. Then again, had you ever had a Jehovah's Wittiness come to your door? They don't talk like the Ori. They use deferent speech patterns. Such legislation would be illegal on many countries any way.

Perhaps converting Baal to Judaism would solve our problems...
                            The part of shooting on sight was more of a joke

And about the law, what I mean is changing another planet way of life, should be prohibited, most of the star traveling sifi have regulations about interfering into planets culture.

It would be unfair for people from earth try to convert other planets, I mean, many of they respect the Tau`ri as the ones who freed them from the goa'uld... They would tend to believe in whatever we say.. And there are a lot of innocent people like the Abydonians were, that are VERY easily converted to any religion...

Comment

surprise surprise!! changing the story to suit their needs yet again
                              Changing? We're talking about stuff written as far back as 5th century AD (that's about the date of the writing of the Talmud passages that mention 18 000 inhabited worlds and a few other interesting things). You suppose they were trying to make their beliefs conform to the theoretical possibilities expressed in 20-21 century science books (and science fiction)?
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Working...
                              X