This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being an Astronaut Sucks

I wouldn't want to be an astronaut in the SG universe. You spend all that time and effort getting accepted by the program, learning systems, training for the flight, and then you're told that what you do is essentially a show. While you're in space with the program's meager technology, other people are going to alien planets, in hyperdrive-capable starships, and meeting alien races.

There's also the pesky tendency of evil alien consciousnesses to hitch a ride in your body.
    It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

Then don't be an Astronaut.
    Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Well if I wasn't part of the Stargate Program I would love to an Astronaut but thats just me I guess
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
        Well if I wasn't part of the Stargate Program I would love to an Astronaut but thats just me I guess
        Imagen your son saying

MY Dad is an Astronaut!!! How cool is that?!?!

Then another kid comes along and says

You dork, My Dad is the Commander of the Earth Spaceship Apollo. He gets to do all sorts of cool stuff, like exploring new worlds, and playing with Aliens, and traveling an infinity plus 1 miles an hour and....

Yeah, I would feel a shamed of being an Astronaut.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Absolutely. In the Gateverse, the program has been up and running for only 12 years or so. That means guys who are going up "now" were busting their hump and sacrificing almost everything they had just to get into the Astronaut program back when O'Neill and co. were skipping between galaxies in Cronus' mothership.

It just doesn't seem fair.

Plus, what's the likelihood that the "attainable" goals for the regular space program (getting back to the Moon, going to Mars) are probably the sort of thing that Caldwell and Ellis indulge in every now and then on their trips to and from Atlantis.

Imagine, 20 years from now, a multi-national expedition to Mars finally lands on the red planet, and as the first man/woman sets foot on its soil and is about to utter historic words, they stop...

"Mission control, I think I see something."

"Roger that... uh... advise you continue with mission."

"But I think it looks like writing! It's a little dusty, but I can just make it out."

"It's probably nothing. You should really collect some mars rocks, or something cool like that. Ignore this... other... thing."

"What!? Wait! I see it, I think it says, 'Abe was here'"

"... *ahem*..."

"Oh, come on! What the hell, Houston?"

Comment

Originally posted by PotluckoftheGods View Post
            Absolutely. In the Gateverse, the program has been up and running for only 12 years or so. That means guys who are going up "now" were busting their hump and sacrificing almost everything they had just to get into the Astronaut program back when O'Neill and co. were skipping between galaxies in Cronus' mothership.

It just doesn't seem fair.

Plus, what's the likelihood that the "attainable" goals for the regular space program (getting back to the Moon, going to Mars) are probably the sort of thing that Caldwell and Ellis indulge in every now and then on their trips to and from Atlantis.

Imagine, 20 years from now, a multi-national expedition to Mars finally lands on the red planet, and as the first man/woman sets foot on its soil and is about to utter historic words, they stop...

"Mission control, I think I see something."

"Roger that... uh... advise you continue with mission."

"But I think it looks like writing! It's a little dusty, but I can just make it out."

"It's probably nothing. You should really collect some mars rocks, or something cool like that. Ignore this... other... thing."

"What!? Wait! I see it, I think it says, 'Abe was here'"

"... *ahem*..."

"Oh, come on! What the hell, Houston?"

nah, it should say: "Homer was here."
            if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a photon torpedo.

Comment

Working for SETI must be a pain too; spending all that time and money searching for any signs of Extraterrestrial life, when the SGC can spend a few minutes to dial a gate and communicate to anyone using a mere MALP! And what's more, besides communicating, they can actually visit them and have face-to-face talks!

*a SETI researcher points a Huge, Multi-Billion-Dollar Satellite towards the Pegasus Galaxy*

"I fell into a burning ring of fire,
              I went down, down, down
              and the flames went higher.
              And it burns, burns, burns
              The ring of fire,
              The ring of fire.
              "

*Blinks- Keeps listening in awe as this terrestrial music is being transmitted across Galaxies*

"The taste of love is sweet,
              When hearts like our's meet
              I fell for you like....
              SHEPPERD- Stop playing Johnny Cash on Atlantis' Deep Space Communicators! The entire population of Pegasus doesn't want to hear it!!"

*The SETI researcher quits for unspecified reasons and takes up a career as an Accountant, like his mother wanted him to be*

OUCH.

Comment

Theyre shuttle program is probably in limbo like ours was after the challanger, etc.

Comment

People on NASA have security clearance to know about the program. Several episodes they say "NASA just picked up X enemy ships".

The last time we have seen/heard of a shuttle was on that red sun planet ( I guess the name was Odin`s eye or something like that ), and it was before the Prometheus.

Well, after Prometheus, I dont really see the point in the gov spend billions of dollars making shuttles, even if for the sake of covering the stargate program.

I really see some of the nasa guys being transfered to area 51 to help project ships, and a deep space sensor installed/given access to NASA.

I mean, they have the "know-how" about space, if we were to build an lunar outpost for example they would be of great help.
                  Not to mention more research ( even tough the asgard/alterans were ubber, they might have missed something, I mean science is an art )

Comment

Originally posted by Unbreak View Post
                    People on NASA have security clearance to know about the program. Several episodes they say "NASA just picked up X enemy ships".

The last time we have seen/heard of a shuttle was on that red sun planet ( I guess the name was Odin`s eye or something like that ), and it was before the Prometheus.

Well, after Prometheus, I dont really see the point in the gov spend billions of dollars making shuttles, even if for the sake of covering the stargate program.

I really see some of the nasa guys being transfered to area 51 to help project ships, and a deep space sensor installed/given access to NASA.

I mean, they have the "know-how" about space, if we were to build an lunar outpost for example they would be of great help.
                    Not to mention more research ( even tough the asgard/alterans were ubber, they might have missed something, I mean science is an art )
                    i thought it was NORAD that picked up the enemy ships

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                    Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

./121serpentsgrasp.htm: sir. NASA is just re positioning Hubble right now. We should be able to get
                      ./121serpentsgrasp.htm: communications to all Air force bases, and to NASA." GH looks down at Davis.
                      ./201serpentslair.htm:<p>DAVIS: NASA confirms sir, the Goa'uld ships are still up there.</p>

I`m too lazy to open the files and past the "real quotes" but they are there =p

There are a few more reference to the nasa =D

Comment

Originally posted by Unbreak View Post
                        ./121serpentsgrasp.htm: sir. NASA is just re positioning Hubble right now. We should be able to get
                        ./121serpentsgrasp.htm: communications to all Air force bases, and to NASA.&quot; GH looks down at Davis.
                        ./201serpentslair.htm:<p>DAVIS: NASA confirms sir, the Goa'uld ships are still up there.</p>

I`m too lazy to open the files and past the "real quotes" but they are there =p

There are a few more reference to the nasa =D
                        i stand corrected, but why would NASA use the Hubble coz its in Australia?

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
                        Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

OH CRAP!!!

Comment

Still If I had a choice between being an Astronaut and not going to space I would choose Astronaut
                          Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                          A Face you Can Trust
                          sigpic
                          So whats the worst that could happen?
                          Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                          It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by jonos101 View Post
                            i stand corrected, but why would NASA use the Hubble coz its in Australia?
                            Nope, Hubble is in orbit. You might be getting confused with the Parkes radio telescope. Thats in Australia.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                              Nope, Hubble is in orbit. You might be getting confused with the Parkes radio telescope. Thats in Australia.
                              ahh, thanks, should have known that as i live in Australia

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:

I like the yellow ones.

OH CRAP!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X