This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing Forums Without Asking

I am a newby to the forum and I placed a post asking about an episode with Carson Beckett. I did receive a reply; but then TAMEFARRAR (Excuse the spelling) decided that the thread had been answered and closed the thread.

Why? It was my thread and not offensive. Did you ask me if I wanted it closed? I know ya'll are the moderators; but I do have some time invested in the thread. Others can now only read it and not post. It could create more discussion considering that clone Beckett is back on the scene.

This is the only forum that I have been involved with that closed a thread such as mine just because one of the moderators deemed it finished.

I call foul ---------

we do it to keep things 'neat' for lack of a better term.

the question was asked and answered and, had we kept the thread open, it would have likely been another place for people to discuss something we already had a thread for.

As you can imagine, it gets confusing if you have 10 threads, all about a carson episode and for people to keep track of what's said where.

We have an official thread for every episode and people can make threads about different aspects - like a thread about trio, and then someone making a thread about one plot point of it and that plot point only, but the different thread needs to be different enough to stand on its own and not just be 'another trio thread' rehashing stuff already in the main trio thread
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

For some newbies it's very important to see their own names as a thread starter (I wish people wouldn't mix the terms board, forum and thread...), and it's common that newbies do start a slew of threads, especially if the topic they want to discuss isn't on the first page. Most learn eventually that the discussion is the main point, not who gets the credit for starting the thread.

Of course, rules about this depend on the board, some boards frown on people resurrecting an old thread, instead preferring that they start a new one. However, that isn't the case here, as Skydiver said.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
        I wish people wouldn't mix the terms board, forum and thread...
        Indeed. I came in here having seen the preview for this thread in the main forum tree, scratching my head after having scrolled down the tree wondering what had gone missing
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

If the topic of a new thread is general -- e.g. "Carson Is a Sweet Guy" -- the thread generally stays open indefinitely. If the topic is finite, like a question that can be answered, the mods may choose to close it after it is answered. The topic of conversation set by the thread-started is basically "finished" at that point, and so it's inevitable that further conversation would go off-topic and potentially duplicate the topics of other threads.

We also have a policy on GateWorld that, while thread-starters set the topic (and sometimes ground rules, within limits) for discussion, they do not "own" the thread. Once your thread comes into happy existence, it becomes community property. So the mods, who are asked to keep the streets clean and the criminals in jail, generally won't notify or discuss an action such as closing a thread.

Welcome to the forum!
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

And here I was hoping someone was gonna complain about the forum being shut down all night while the upgrades were done.

There's a thread started by one of the mods that's probably a good reference point for people- and not just newbies: Things to think about when starting a thread. It covers most of the salient points, anyway.

Comment

It's perhaps also worth mentioning that the thread that got closed, as pointed out when it was closed, didn't conform to forum rules regarding spoilers - it didn't specify in the title that it contained spoilers and the discussion within the thread wasn't spoiler-tagged. And, as it related to events in a Season 4 episode, it should have had one or the other.

So yeah, given that the specific question - which season 3 episode? - posed in the thread had been answered, there was no reason not to close the thread and let any further discussion of the topic be taken to the appropriately spoiler-tagged discussion thread.

It takes time to find your way around a forum and learn the etiquette and the way things are done... Other threads that might help you to do so (and to avoid such disappointment in the future) are the FAQ and the X-treme Guide to Gateworld (for newbies).
              sigpic

Comment

close this thread imo

Comment

since Darren has answered this to his satisfaction as well as the Forum's guidelines and a link has been provided to lend a helping hand this thread will...now be closed
                  Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                  X