Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you immediatley know the candle light is fire....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boondock28 View Post
    It's about keeping your mind open to infinite possibilities. And discovering things on your own not by what one tells you. Just like the quote there is many different answers that will eventually lead you to the great path. LOL
    one post, and nails it
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Look at the context. This phrase was used to answer Daniel's statement.
      Monk: "You think the child is safe with you?"
      Daniel: "Yes, absolutely."

Look at the 'If'. If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago.
      The first part refers to belief. It's common sense that light from a candle is because of a flame. It refers to something you believe so strongly you take as fact.
      Then the meal was cooked a long time ago. If the meal has already been cooked, what can you do? Nothing. It's in the past; you can't change it. The reference to cooking is about setting something in stone, or making it very hard to change.

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago.
      If you're so sure about what you believe, then there is little that can be done to change your mind.

Besides, thought a candle burns in my house, there's nobody home.

sigpic
      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

when it was originally said the previous statement was something along saying that Jackson was missing something because it was obvious to me it seemed to mean "if you look for something specific you'll miss what you don't expect" thats why jackson doesn't realize oma didn't want him to take the boy

Comment

To be perfectly honest...Out of universe...I think it's just none sense. Has it ever been confirmed to mean anything?
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

Wasn't it just a rip off an old Chinese proverb? Something about a fool that went looking for fire by candlelight.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
              Wasn't it just a rip off an old Chinese proverb? Something about a fool that went looking for fire by candlelight.
              considering this thread, i wonder how much thought the writers even put into this. They must've laughed their asses off

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                considering this thread, i wonder how much thought the writers even put into this. They must've laughed their asses off
                The problem is the whole meal thing. Has nothing to do with candle fire, the imagery doesn't match. So, yeah....they probably had a good laugh.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                  The problem is the whole meal thing. Has nothing to do with candle fire, the imagery doesn't match. So, yeah....they probably had a good laugh.
                  Maybe that's the point. If you understand the concept of fire outside of the realms of its practical use for you, then you are already enlightened to a degree.
                  If you recognize and understand a concept (i.e. fire) outside of the context from which you originally learned it, you've taken an important step in enlightenment, and the process of understanding had to have started a long time ago.
                  sigpic

Comment

I always thought it meant the fire had burned out so much it was as dim as a candle's light they used fire to cook with and for heat, so if the fire is dying down it must have served it's purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Raddo View Post
                      "If you immediatley know the candle light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago"

Okkkkkkkkkkkk

I have thought about this over and over and although I do have a few theories about what Oma Desala meant by this i'm not totally convincing myself.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on what Oma meant by this or what she was trying to get Daniel to think about when she said this?

i thought it ment that if it was so simple (easy) it would already be done

Comment

i've always taken the meaning to be: Once you come to a realization about about something, it's been that way the whole time.

example: at some point some one realized that the Earth was round not flat, then realized, it's always been that way.
                        if you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a photon torpedo.

Comment

Originally posted by Raddo View Post
                          "If you immediatley know the candle light is fire then the meal was cooked along time ago"

Okkkkkkkkkkkk

I have thought about this over and over and although I do have a few theories about what Oma Desala meant by this i'm not totally convincing myself.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on what Oma meant by this or what she was trying to get Daniel to think about when she said this?

It means, you already have it but not yet fully realize it.

It also means, if you know your feet are wet, then there is water in your glass.

Comment

Or it means that for someone to identify what candles are, then you were capable of having cooked the meal a long time ago....but I like my "It's gibberish" asnwer from a long time ago better.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kebab Gud View Post
                              to clarefy

"If you immediatley know one statement to be true.. then nothing can change your mind"

get it better now?
                              I like this one.

Comment

if you jump to a conclusion, and you are unwilling to open your mind to other possibilities then you will never be able to learn the true nature of things or new things in general.

basically.. since you have already made up your mind, you are done learning.

or,

you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

if that is not simple enough then lest put it another way...

it went over your head.

Comment

Working...
                                X