Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantis Family Appreciation Thread (S1-S3)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Family Appreciation Thread (S1-S3)

.: This is a thread to appreciate the Atlantis "Family" characters that we had in the seasons one through three. I thought that the main and supporting casts of these seasons had such magnificent chemistry and balance together, and I know many others that agree.

.: Because nothing can replace the lovely cast of characters we have. Feel free to appreciate the S1-S3 Atlantis family (this includes Radek, Lorne, Kate, Katie, etc) and their friendships with one another.

.: This is NOT an anti thread. Nor is it one that you can come in and say that Character Y replacing Character X or the killing of Character X was the best decision evah. It is also not one to bash other peoples' ships or preferences. I hope we can establish a friendly, multi- and non-shipping community here.

smilie by zuz

Nice thread idea

I think that's one of the big reasons I came to love Atlantis so much - the found family, the building of a team and of friendships and trust. I learned to love seeing that family on screen as though they were my own.

Comment

Yes what a great thread!

Here's a mental green for staring this thread coz can't actually green you!

I love the feel of the first three seasons with all the cast of characters. Everyone really did just gel and fit in and the chemistry was great imo. That was one of the reasons I likes SGA from the start.
      sigpic

Comment

I like this thread! A big part of what sets SGA apart from SG-1 in my mind is that there's so much less of a chain of command, that it feels like a familial structure instead of a military or hierarchal one. With Weir as the mum and Shep as the dad, Atlantis is like a giant extended family, and I love that! I still feel like the family aura is there in S4, even if it's a broken family, but I'll gladly celebrate when the family was safe and secure.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
        ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

really great idea Reiko

I like the family feeling too. their support towards each other and how they treat ech other - that's something that lacks in reality sometimes.

Comment

I think one of the most utterly painful things in the show was having the team so terribly broken apart, and thinking back to the things that happened before.

Shep and Wier learning to both trust and respect each other. Sheppard telling Teyla he would do anything, for any one of them. Rodney proving just how loyal and brave he really was under that scared, abrasive skin of his. And our Carson, become not only a trusted doctor but a team-mate and friend. The times Sheppard was willing to sacrifice his life for them without hesitation.

It makes me deeply sad for the rest of that family that they have to go on seemingly unchanged with such a big part of them missing. That they have to deal with a replacement leader and a replacement doctor.

Sheppard may never again have the security of a leader he trusts. Since he and Rodney are pretty much the people I watch the show for at this point, that makes me sad.

Some of the family dynamics in the earlier seasons were amazing. I loved Sateda because buried in a cheesy action episode were so many sweet "family" interactions. Shep telling Teyla he would do anything for him. Shep quietly figuring out how much this fight meant to Ronon, and then handing him his gun. Carson and Rodney arguing in the jumper about who was least incompetent to shoot the wraith. Ronon hugging Carson and passing out.

Yep. I love our gang.

Comment

Originally posted by jetflair View Post
              Some of the family dynamics in the earlier seasons were amazing. I loved Sateda because buried in a cheesy action episode were so many sweet "family" interactions. Shep telling Teyla he would do anything for him. Shep quietly figuring out how much this fight meant to Ronon, and then handing him his gun. Carson and Rodney arguing in the jumper about who was least incompetent to shoot the wraith. Ronon hugging Carson and passing out.
              Sateda: best family episode ever! Perhaps the best episode from any television show I've seen that tried to portray that deep familial bond. Every time I watch it, I've forgotten how good it is and how much it touches me.

It has been painful watching the team try to adjust to all the change, but I like that they haven't hidden away in their grief but are actively trying to get through it in S4. At least they still have each other.

~Friendshipping (among others) the two most awesome women of Stargate.
              ~My Stargate fanfic can be found on my Livejournal

Comment

Oh what a good idea.....A thread where we can all discuss....I miss my Carson....Also i wish they would have formed a bond with Teyla and Elizabeth,they could have been great friends,they were both leader's so they had that in common....Teyla understood the pressure of leadership better than anyone and she'd know what Elizabeth would be facing with being a leader ad they could have helped one another...Well that's just my humble opinion
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                  Oh what a good idea.....A thread where we can all discuss....I miss my Carson....Also i wish they would have formed a bond with Teyla and Elizabeth,they could have been great friends,they were both leader's so they had that in common....Teyla understood the pressure of leadership better than anyone and she'd know what Elizabeth would be facing with being a leader ad they could have helped one another...Well that's just my humble opinion
                  I really thought they were starting to with Echoes and Sunday! They seemed like they could turn to each other just for a chat or at a time in need. I think Teyla really misses that
                  What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

I'm surprised something like this hasn't been done before... Atlantis is quite an ensemble show... particularly s1 through s3.

Very nic idea
                    don't worry, soon we won't have to say goodbye.

facebook | Celebrate Scotland |livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                      I really thought they were starting to with Echoes and Sunday! They seemed like they could turn to each other just for a chat or at a time in need. I think Teyla really misses that
                      Yeah they started to but i guess by then it was too late!
                      sigpic

Comment

Awesome thread, Reiko! You've been GREENED!

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
                        I like this thread! A big part of what sets SGA apart from SG-1 in my mind is that there's so much less of a chain of command, that it feels like a familial structure instead of a military or hierarchal one. With Weir as the mum and Shep as the dad, Atlantis is like a giant extended family, and I love that! I still feel like the family aura is there in S4, even if it's a broken family, but I'll gladly celebrate when the family was safe and secure.
                        That's a great point, and it's a big part of why I like SGA better than SG-1. Both shows focus on their "team," but in SGA, the word "team" means something a whole lot bigger than just the off-world crew. It's not just Sheppard, Rodney, Teyla and Ford (later Ronon). It's also Weir, Beckett, Grodin, Zelenka, Heightmeyer, Lorne (when he got transferred to Atlantis in S2), heck, even Caldwell was eventually accepted into the family. It's much more of a true ensemble piece, rather than focusing on just a handful of key players.

Originally posted by jetflair View Post
                        It makes me deeply sad for the rest of that family that they have to go on seemingly unchanged with such a big part of them missing. That they have to deal with a replacement leader and a replacement doctor.

Sheppard may never again have the security of a leader he trusts. Since he and Rodney are pretty much the people I watch the show for at this point, that makes me sad.
                        Me too. Sheppard and McKay have especially lost out, as they had formed sort of a trinity with Elizabeth; the Three Musketeers of Atlantis, if you will. Perhaps with Carson as an unofficial fourth; their on-base leadership team made for an interesting parallel to Sheppard's off-world team.

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                        Had Elizabeth remained on Atlantis or Kate Heightmeyer not died in S4, I wonder how much better the Teyla pregnancy storyline would've turned out. With even one of them present, Teyla would've had a close female friend there to talk to, share her fears with, and perhaps given Teyla's story more of an emotional core that it seemed to be lacking. I imagine Teyla must have missed sharing the changes in her life with her "sisters" very much.
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                          Had Elizabeth remained on Atlantis or Kate Heightmeyer not died in S4, I wonder how much better the Teyla pregnancy storyline would've turned out. With even one of them present, Teyla would've had a close female friend there to talk to, share her fears with, and perhaps given Teyla's story more of an emotional core that it seemed to be lacking. I imagine Teyla must have missed sharing the changes in her life with her "sisters" very much.
                          Oh you know i never even thought of that Teyla's my favourite character but even i admit i had a real problem with this storyline for Teyla,i was glad they decided to include Rachel's pregnancy into the story but i was very disappointed with the story itself ...

Now that you mention it i wonder if it would have been better if she had someone to turn to...Guess we'll never know
                          sigpic

Comment

S1 - S3 was more about the expedition pulling together, especially in eps like the Seige. You don't get that impression anymore that they are fighting for a communities survival its just the survival of individuals.
                            What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              This would have been wonderful to watch. I wonder if anyone has written any fanfic like this. I'll take my original cast where I can get them!

I loved episodes like Critical Mass and Echoes because they featured all of the main cast and a lot of the secondary cast. You saw how the characters were affected by the problem and how they pulled together to solve it. Those types of episodes are my favorites.

Reiko - mental green because it won't let me...

Very nice thread!
                              sigpic
                              sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Working...
                              X