This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a Long Story arc to begin

Now that season 5 is confirmed and the replicators have been reduced to a handful of ascension fanatics its time we saw the wraith make a comeback, yes they got hit hard by the replicators but they managed to wipe out an entire galaxy of ancients.

The travellers should not be made the big bad guys imo, they should join us in a formal alliance in the pegasus galaxy.

What we need is something new, big, powerful, covering several seasons that can lead into or relate to SG:Universe when it happens.

We've had 4 seasons to get established now we need something legendary such as they did for Babylon 5 over its middle seasons.

I know some of you may not agree but i think the best stories are those that progress the underlying story arc and being the case i think we need something epic.

The Michael arc has the potential to lead into this...
    The Replciator arc needs to be settled...
    The Travellers should appear more like the Asgard did in a helpful manner... or we help them...
    The Wraith either need to be reseated as the main antagonists or become secondary like the Goa'uld did in S9 and S10.
    The Universe is infinite and we're travelling around in our 304s to many different galaxies now lets see something spectacular...

I'm open to serious ideas people would like to see...

My idea would be Atlantis dealing less with returning to Earth and more with finding new life... I know pegasus was devoid of life when the ancients colonised it but if it is the pegasus galaxy near Andromeda (again speculation) surely there has to be some big bads in the Andromeda Galaxy.

Even if you don't want to take it outside of Pegasus the current capabilities of our heros are... we easliy destroy wraith ships, we're hiding all the time from the full wraith assault... the wraith are currrently fighting amongst themselves becuase they don't have a large enough threat to take on... which could have happened with the replicators.

We need something new and i hope this new enemy they are talking about in the later part of season 5 becomes that epic adventure that this show needs.

SG1 set the roots, Atlantis was meant to be a means to destroying the Goa'uld, it really didn't help much and we don't hear much about technology that gets adapted from lantean tech for human use.

We need some sort of progression... I think the foothold aliens would make a good new enemy, they were never really developed, they had the tech to come here from another galaxy, there is potential there as there is in alot of aliens races that sg1 developed, we need atlantis to move away from its Lantean-Wraith specifics and branch out a bit.

Don't get me wrong I love Stargate and would not stop watching it ever but i think if the stories don't become a bit more indepth and intriguing it could lead to the end of SGA after season 5.

DO you guys agree or not and why?

Oh I definitely agree. I love long term story arcs that pay off in a big way down the line and show progression in plot and characters. It gets you involved, makes you care about where the story is going instead of just being entertained for an hour every week, which is what Stargate is to me, (though there has been moments of brilliance here and there, especially recently, IMHO).

Though I think it's a little too late for Atlantis to do that. If you really want to make the show arc-based you really have to plan ahead from the very beginning, and unfortunately TPTB didn't do that, and they won't be doing that any time soon, from the looks of it. One season at a time isn't good enough...but then, it's hard to do otherwise with a fickle channel like SciFi.

Comment

I think the Daedalus Variations could have been excellent for a long story arc set in another reality
      just think about all the possibilities
      they could have gone to a reality where the ancients are still around and a myriad of other races that the wraith haven't had a chance to destroy or maybe are at war with.
      the possibilities are endless

I think it's a terrible waste to squeeze an idea with so much potential into one episode.
      spending a few episodes stranded exploring a different reality could have made wonders of development for the Pegasus galaxy.

Comment

The first time they did an alternate reality-what happens there is going to happen here episode it was pretty cool. The second was pretty cool too. It may be starting to get old

Comment

I don't know if its too late PG, one can always change or add an arc, the only problem is like you mentioned about the possibility of it getting cancelled mid-series.

The Michael arc had the most potential, IMHO, but they might have ruined it with the end of TLM. Asurans are too powerful to make a good arc. For me they work best as they are, an enemy that occasionally pops up and causes trouble, and can't really be destroyed but only contained. Every time they show up, everybody loses their heads: the Tau'ri, Asgard, Goa'uld, Wraith, even for the Ori they weren't pushovers.

The Travellers don't seem to be quite as advanced as the Asgard, but you're right when you say that it would be good if Atlantis could count on them as a somewhat loyal ally. But TPTB said that they would mostly show up as a wildcard.

I thought Universe wasn't supposed to have anything to do with the other two series?
          If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. ~Henry J. Kaiser

Comment

One of the most effective enemies is the one that is glimpsed, but not seen. The most effective enemy faced in the Star Trek universe was the Borg, whose advance from the Gamma to the Alpha Quadrants was a major story arc through almost every permutation of the Trek empire. Q gave us a glimpse of the threat posed by the Borg, and then, in one way or another, the anticipation of their arrival was as significant as when they started knocking on the door.

Along similar lines, it would be nice if the new threat to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in the Pegasus Galaxy were to come from a largely unseen, but powerful presence; fleeting glimpses caught out of the corner of one's eye. Wraith and human alike feel the presence of......something; but they can't quite nail down what it is. But soon it becomes clear that strange things are happening in the PG, and these things are not coincidence nor are they going away.

Thus the arc begins with a mystery that progresses to a puzzle before finally becoming a frustrating enigma before.....POW.....just when everybody is on the edge of their seats in anticipation, the new player in the galaxy is revealed:

Spoiler:
            The Furlings!

JUST KIDDING! I wanted to see how many people would scream and pound their keyboards at the mere mention of those fuzzy little critters....if indeed that's what they were?????

No, the longer TPTB can keep the actual identity of the new players a mystery, the better. In the meantime, our fearless explorers continue to mow down Wraith as they continue to fight their civil war, which will ultimately result in a smaller, more united foe that will refocus their attention squarely on Atlantis and on Earth, just in time to meet the mysterious Moozbors (I don't know....like Sheppard I have an aversion to naming things too quickly) who pose as much a threat to them as they do to the humans.

Once again, we are faced with a tri-lateral power struggle within the galaxy and hopefully another season or two worth of material.
            sigpic The Outlaw Josey Wales
            Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

----------------

Comment

I agree completely...there should be a long story arc happening soon. I think the wraith should be back again as a threat, altho the michael story is very interesting but forget the replicators now....i'm getting sick of them. It would b nice if a goa'uld or 2 got mixed up wit some atlantis episodes, but probably won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
                ...the new player in the galaxy is revealed:
                Spoiler:
                The Furlings!
                Oh boy! LOL!

Mmmm, agreed! I’m getting tired of one episode after another, and the only thing in common among them is Sheppard, McKay, Teyla and Ronon. I would like them to present a very good mystery that we can follow along the whole season… And if it is related to the wraith: the better!

Comment

Spacecowboy you got it, remember when Anubis made his return to stargate it began in season 5 i think, but it was a mystery and it was great to finally see in season 8 what he was all about. I still think there is hope for something like that to happen with atlantis.

As for getting canned mid season... who cares these days... Ark of Truth proved that the story can be concluded even if not part of a series, as a dvd movie.

So this episode they say a new enemy gets introduced (first contact) could be the beginning of something big if they play it right and don't make them a startrek like badguy of the week.

Spacecowboy was right about startrek what did TNG good was the underlying Q and Borg threats, what did Voyager good was the underlying journey home, what did DS9 good was the beginning of the confrontation with the Dominion in season 3, the first two seasons of DS9 were pretty weak until they brought in the underlying threat.

These days we need long story arcs to keep us intrigued as opposed to week by week bad guys that don't really progress the story. It just seems that alot of these episodes are just that. Granted they brought Michael in in Season 2 but he really isn't that big to make a major impact to the peg galaxy other than be a pain in the neck.

We need a big outside force to come wipe us out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostpinky View Post
                    We need a big outside force to come wipe us out.
                    Well… agree… but I prefer to wipe “them” out, instead of me!

Comment

SGA can never have insanely long story Arcs like SG-1. The main reason SG-1's Gou'al arc was so long, because they were given multiple season renewals at once. SGA never got that, they basically have to write each season with the thought that it might be the last, so it wouldn't be smart to create a very long story arc and have it mess up when the show suddenly gets cancelled.
                      These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                        SGA can never have insanely long story Arcs like SG-1. The main reason SG-1's Gou'al arc was so long, because they were given multiple season renewals at once. SGA never got that, they basically have to write each season with the thought that it might be the last, so it wouldn't be smart to create a very long story arc and have it mess up when the show suddenly gets cancelled.
                        That kind of writing strategy rapidly becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. If TPTB really look at every season as the last, and write as if they have to wrap up everything by episode x20, then SGA will be a short lived series indeed.

There is no shame in aggressively writing long story and character arcs that cover multiple seasons as long as they are GOOD! The better they are, the more people will watch. The more people watch, the better the ratings. The better the ratings, the less likely Skiffy will do something stupid, like cancel the show.

AND EVEN IF THEY DO.....there are other venues to explore. SG-1 went off the air and blasted onto DVD with two full length movies. Maybe it's time for this franchise to experiment with theatrical releases; it worked for Star Trek, didn't it. And, how much longer will it be before someone produces high quality programing designed specifically for the World Wide InterWeb (yeah, I know, but I think it sounds funny).

In the final analysis, TPTB are not going to do anything to jeopardize the gravy train upon which they now find themselves riding. The better the stories, the longer the series will last.
                        sigpic The Outlaw Josey Wales
                        Josey Wales: Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

----------------

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
                          There is no shame in aggressively writing long story and character arcs that cover multiple seasons as long as they are GOOD!
                          That would require a brain and thinking ahead, not something TPTB have proven to be good at... in my humble opinion of course.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            That would require a brain and thinking ahead, not something TPTB have proven to be good at... in my humble opinion of course.
                            Speaking of brain, yours must be exhausted being up at this time. Doing a long arc is a risky move just because SciFi won't greenlit more than one season unlike Showtime. Also doing one huge arc can doom the series if is boring or improve the series if it entertaining. The longer an arc is made the greater the chance for a huge failure or success.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

what kind of story arc? The michael arc is that arc already.
                              Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Working...
                              X