Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you feel about Major Lorne in Universe?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you feel about Major Lorne in Universe?

Another purely hypothetical question.

I know a lot of fans, including me, really like Evan Lorne as a character, and Kavan Smith as an actor. So, I was wondering how you guys would feel about Kavan Smith being cast as a main character in Stargate Universe (as Major/Lt Col/Colonel Lorne).

Would you only be OK with it if it was done once Atlantis was over? That is, that if Universe was to go ahead now with Atlantis still on the air, you would prefer Lorne to stay on Atlantis as a strong recurring character rather than as a main character on Universe?

Would you object to his participation if he wasn't the lead? Would you object if he WAS the lead?
    And, very importantly, is Evan Lorne suitable for lead, or even main character? The leads that we've had so far, Jack, John, Cam (to a lesser extent) have always been a bit rebellious, willing to disobey orders. Lorne strikes me as quite 'by-the-book'. Do you agree? How would this effect the show? Positively? Negatively?

Would you prefer if he came over to Universe again as a recurring rather than as a main character? If so, how much should he appear? 10 a year? Just the first episode? Somewhere in between?

Is he just too much of a familiar face to work in a show that is reportedly much less linked with the franchise as a whole than Atlantis is?

Again, a disclaimer of sorts: there are NO plans, rumours or anything else that I am aware of to do this.
    Godspeed, Don.

I never saw him as any stronger a presence than Maj. Davis. And we can do without him just fine.

~Dave

Comment

For me it isn't a question of whether or not Lorne/Kavan is lead material, it's a question of what the producers would do with him. I think Kavan's a great actor and I love Lorne to pieces, but I think if TPTB had to concentrate on him more that it would ruin all that I love about the character. On the one hand, yes, I would love to see more of Lorne and would be happy for Kavan to get a steady job, but on the other... my skin crawls at the thought of what TPTB might do to Lorne. He'd probably wind up as either cardboard or wallpaper and that would be a shame, IMO.

I also think SGU is better off with an entirely new cast of characters and situations. If you make room for one crossover element eventually there will be more- no matter how many times the producers swear otherwise. Quite frankly, I think the show would also benefit from an entirely new writing staff with the freedom to write their own ideas rather than having everything edited to fit the old guard's ideals. But the chances of that are pretty much nil. *sigh*

If there was a new writing staff the possibility of Lorne crossing over might not be so bad, but I think I'd still be wary. 11 years in fandom has taught me that if I'm given something I like, I'll probably wind up regretting it.

Comment

I don't think the Lorne has what it takes to be the lead character in a series, I'm not sure about KS's acting abilities either TBH.

Comment

I quite like Lorne as a character, but I'd rather he gets developed more on Atlantis. A Prometheus Unbound style episode where only one of the principal cast features, surrounded by the 'lesser' characters, like Zelenka, Lorne, hell maybe even Chuck! PU was one of my favourite SG-1 eps...how much is that going to divide people?!?!

Then again, McKay, a pretty minor but liked character from SG-1 became the second lead in Atlantis. Lorne as a Sheppard/O'Neill style lead character? Yeah. Lorne as a Teal'c/Ford support character? Meh, could work. Teal'c worked out, Ford didn't.

I reckon Lorne has potential and needs development, and in Atlantis (at times nothing more than The Sheppard & McKay Show to me) there's probably not going to be much chance of that. So, yeah, I'd go for it.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

.: I feel pretty much the same way Shadow feels. I love Lorne, but I'm too afraid TPTB will wreck the character. Especially in M&M will eventually touch it ... they break everything they touch

Comment

the last thing universe needs is an emotionless military-type character as a main character. If he did end up as a main character he'd just be a punching bag, like mitchell.
              sigpic

Comment

If Lorne gets more screen time anywhere, I'll go watch. If he's the lead or just a regular and the writers screw it up, IMO the entire show will be screwed up. And that's that.

I like Lorne. If I had a choice between keeping him in the background, or taking the risk that writers will write him larger chunks of script and change the character into something else, I'd rather take the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by expendable_crewman View Post
                  I like Lorne. If I had a choice between keeping him in the background, or taking the risk that writers will write him larger chunks of script and change the character into something else, I'd rather take the risk.
                  I agree with that, and I'd hope whatever series he's in, he becomes more than just 'Military Guy' like O'Neill, Sheppard, Mitchell and even Ford. So far he's been written as a Sheppard-clone, or Sheppard Lite: USAF, leads an SG team, has the ATA gene, is also a 302 pilot. So far, so similar. But his personality seems a little different, and given how little we know of him, he's a blank canvas. SGA or SGU, the writers could do worse than giving him more screen time, an interesting personality and history and some decent scenes.
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I like Lorne, would like to see more of his character.
                    When Atlantis launched i had huge fears, i hated McKay with a passion and didnt want to watch him week in week out, yet now he is probably one of my favorite characters of all. So funny.
                    So i would rather wait and see before i start thinking Lorne would be a bad choice as a leading character and listen to all the naysayers here.

Comment

I like Lorne a lot, but we don't know too much from what the writers have given him so far. As a lead on the new series (or even just one of the regs), we'd get to know him better.

I'm all for it!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Lorne has a good snarky side to him, especially seen in "Runner" in dealing with McKay. I think he could be just as interesting/snarky funny as O'Neill was on SG1.

Comment

Well, on Atlantis I find myself liking the recurring characters far more than the regular cast so I'd really rather him not leave there.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I guess it could work if TPTB stick to their current idea of beginning SGU at the end of SGA's run. Then you could satisfy those who want Lorne to stay on Atlantis, those who want Lorne to lead on SGU, and those who are scared about Lorne's character being expanded and destroyed (easy solution - don't watch SGU). So yeah, pretty good idea in my book.

I guess the only group who wouldn't be happy are people who hate Lorne (does anyone actually hate Lorne?).

Comment

I don't hate Lorne, I just don't care about him. Maybe if in future episodes they flesh out the character, but for right now he just another military-type.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X