Sanctuary in the UK- ITV 4 / Watch News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    I'm surprised it's not going to be on ITV1, I thought they were trying to rival the BBC with the likes of Primeval.
    It seems to me that ITV would rather put a show that's "home grown" into a prime slot on ITV1, rather than something from the US/Canada.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
      Bit annoying that we are going to be behind everyone else but I suppose at least we know they are going to air it and it's nice to know it's this year at the very least!
      Yeah, eventually! lol

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      It seems to me that ITV would rather put a show that's "home grown" into a prime slot on ITV1, rather than something from the US/Canada.
      Yeah but ITV are a bunch of numpties sometimes!! They gave Pushing Daisies a prime time Saturday night slot. It was a watchable no-brainer but there are better things they could be showing

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by queen_hathor View Post
        Yeah but ITV are a bunch of numpties sometimes!! They gave Pushing Daisies a prime time Saturday night slot. It was a watchable no-brainer but there are better things they could be showing
        True enough, but remember they dropped one ep of Pushing Dasies completely so that the series would fill the gap before the World Cup started.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
          True enough, but remember they dropped one ep of Pushing Dasies completely so that the series would fill the gap before the World Cup started.
          Oh I didn't know that, didn't watch the whole series just a few eps lol

sigpic

Comment

Sanctuary is much darker than pushing though although having said that they screened Millienium on ITV and that was downright disturbing
            sigpic

Jack: 'Mature symbiote, Immature host'
            Teal'c: 'Indeed'
            Artifysial: 'Thanks a million'

Comment

It's a question of logistics really. It seems to me that terrestrial broadcasters in the UK are afraid of pure (or space based) sci fi, simply because it's a subculture, so by its very nature you are looking at a limited audience for most sci fi shows. There have been a few exceptions, Star Trek's, Red Dwarf and Buffy where on at prime time, but they were all on BBC2 which was the home of less mainstream programming.

They prefer to broadcast programmes that are going to appeal to a wide audience. The BBC has a remit that in order to justify the liscence fee they have to broadcast programmes in a wide variety of categories, which is why they still do Songs of Praise for example. That's probably why we still get sci fi programmes sometimes.

Pushing Daishies was quirky, and because of the main characters ability it could be classed as sci fi, but overall was more a romantic comedy (?). Programmes such as X Files, Lost and Heroes are in the sci fi category as well but are earth based so attract a far wider audience than pure space based sci fi such as BSG of B% for example

They probably think that the majority of people who are going to watch Sanctuary will only be the Stargate fans anyway, so you are looking at a limited number of viewers from a less than primetime show anyway. Unfortunately as much as I am looking forward to it and as much as I love Stargate and AT I don't think Sanctuary will ever be primetime or mainstream on UK terrestrial channels.
              sigpic

Comment

Traditionally, UK broadcasters don't like sci-fi because it's expensive to make and (they think) has limited overseas sales potential.
                sigpic

Comment

Sanctuary - Whats on TV (UK): 11 Brand New US Shows...:

At Whats on TV's (UK) TV Spy:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Eleven brand new US shows we just can’t wait to see (6/11) | Sanctuary

Published by Ben on Wednesday 10 September 2008

Starts ITV4, early-October

Based on the astoundingly popular - and surprisingly high quality - webisodes of the same name, Sanctuary is being touted as the first sci-fi series in which all the backdrops are virtual, not unlike the movies Sin City or 300. It’s produced by Stargate SG-1 stalwart Amanda Tapping, who also takes the lead role of Dr Helen Magnus.

**snippage**

Both Dr. Horrible and the Sanctuary webisodes prove online TV can be intelligent, high-quality stuff - and with it’s innovative use of green-screen filming techniques (usually seen in Hollywood blockbusters), the semi-Victorian world Sanctuary inhabits looks amazing. With a fair few Stargate alumni working backstage, and coming from the channel that brought us the retooled Battlestar Galactica, the series will also appeal to anyone missing the demon-hunting thrills of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. We’ve high hopes for the series and reckon it could offer some refreshingly old-school supernatural thrills in a brilliantly realised fantasy world. Think of it as a gothic take on Fringe, and you should be pretty excited.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                  SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                  Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

From SG1-Spoilergate:

From www.radiotimes.com (which lists programmes shown in the UK for the
                    next fortnight):

Drama

Sanctuary

Monday 06 October
                    9:00pm - 10:00pm
                    ITV4

The enigmatic Dr Helen Magnus recruits insightful forensic psychiatrist
                    Will Zimmerman to join her in the quest to track, study and protect the
                    strange and often terrifying creatures that secretly populate our world.

VIDEO Plus+: 70631099

Cast
                    Amanda Tapping, Robin Dunne, Emilie Ullerup

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Hey guys I just e-mailed ITV4 asking about a date for Sanctuary, this is the reply I just got:

Thank you for your email.

Sanctuary is due to start on Wednesday 8th October on ITV4

Hope this helps

Duty Officer-AT
                      So now I'm confused, anyone any idea which date is the right one?

Julia(samcarterrules)
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Hi,

ITV replied to an email saying:

Sanctuary is scheduled to start on 6th October with an hour long episode that is repeated on 8th October.

Each episode will be shown on a Monday and then repeated on Wednesday and they are 1 hour long.

Also asked them why we haven't seen any publicity about Sanctuary being screened on ITV4 but didn't get a reply to this.

Elaine

Comment

Is that 9pm time slot definite? If so, yay! I am one of the small minority who've started watching ITV2, 3 and 4 a lot more lately. They keep doing great stuff like putting on cult shows from the sixties etc. And of course there's X Factor Xtra

It is time that ITV made more of these channels. The BBC has found them to be an excellent little goldmine - some shows like Torchwood even got higher ratings than whatever was on the terrestrial channels.

(to non-UK folk: before digital TV came along, the UK had five analogue, free to air channels - BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. These are broadcast the traditional way, through via transmitter towers. Next there arrived the subscription, pay to view, channels from Sky, which were broadcast via satellite, and hence the five free channels came to be referred to as terrestrial and the Sky ones were called satellite channels. Next we got cable, which isn't broadcast through the air at all, but the main five channels are still called terrestrial. And lately, we've got digital TV, which will eventually replace analogue and you get it through your aerial, so therefore it is technical terrestrial too. Nearly everyone gets digital, although some pockets of the country still can't recieve signals. On digital, you've got the 'free' channels aka free view, and there are also channels you can pay to subscribe to. I'm guessing ITV4 is a free channel but I don't know for sure as we've got cable.
                          sigpic

Comment

yeah itv4 is freeview
                            Spoiler:
                            Disclaimer:
                            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                            Quotes!
                            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elainewildash View Post
                              Hi,

ITV replied to an email saying:

Sanctuary is scheduled to start on 6th October with an hour long episode that is repeated on 8th October.

Each episode will be shown on a Monday and then repeated on Wednesday and they are 1 hour long.

Also asked them why we haven't seen any publicity about Sanctuary being screened on ITV4 but didn't get a reply to this.

Elaine
                              Thank you so much for posting this, it makes much more sense now.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

*Does the Snoopy Dance*

Looks like Oct 6 will be party time for us UK Sanctuary /AT fans.

( Pity it's a school night ,but my teen son has agreed to get his butt out of bed on time on the Tuesday morning,as long as he can stay up to watch the premiere "live".)
                                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                                X