This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S5 weapons upgrade

Had an interesting thought last night. Work the night shift and it came to me why don't they retrofit Atlantis with Asgard weapons as Drones are obviously hard to come by? get rid of the P90s etc and build hand units as well. Both earth ships have them by now and i'm guessing it would be easier to retrofit Atlantis as it uses higher technology that earth. Not quite as in the know as most of you but it's a thought

I guess you could mount some rail gun like laser emplacements like the did in Siege but using asguard beams.

Don't really think the hand weapons would be good though...I much prefer bullets and why would they need to have a handheld one? The P90's are doing just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bray View Post
      I guess you could mount some rail gun like laser emplacements like the did in Siege but using asguard beams.

Don't really think the hand weapons would be good though...I much prefer bullets and why would they need to have a handheld one? The P90's are doing just fine.
      are they? a dozen bullets just to kill a wraith? nah one blast of a handheld beam weapon would kill em just like that

Comment

not as cool as hearing p90s fire though
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TraK View Post
          not as cool as hearing p90s fire though
          Yeah that's what I was getting at, lasers would be too much like Star Trek phasers.

They good always get more of Ronons laser pistol thingy...that would be an acceptable comprimise

I hear Teal'c has already got one on order

Comment

yeah ronon's gun is one of the cool alien weapons, as well as zats.
            sigpic

Comment

P90s are easier to maintain and have a higher rate of fire than any hand held energy weapon we've seen. Additionally all military personal on Atlantis are already proficient in their use where as a change to a energy based weapon would require more training.
              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Here is what I never understood. The Tolan gave Earth the blueprints to create Ion Canons and even though they were skeptical about the motives, they still had the plans.

I don't understand why they don't build Ion Canons and place like 50 of them around Atlantis. They are designed to auto-target ships. They can cut through Gou'ald shields and Wraith Hive Ships don't have shields. Any threats to Atlantis would be eliminated easily.

Comment

From what I remember the Tolan Ion Cannons where quite big, how would they get them there? I wouldn't think there are the resources or manufacturing capability in the Pegasus galaxy. You might be able to fit a couple on a 304 but then that would take up the hanger bay space (do they have cargo holds I can't remember) so they would have to sacrifice fighter protection and it would take a lot of trips to get the cannons there.

Also didn't the Goul'd find a way to neutralise the Ion Cannons, how long would it be before the Wraith neutralise them too?

Comment

look, the thing i want most are plasma guns

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      look, the thing i want most are plasma guns

Will this do?

Comment

=

I think Atlantis all ready has energy weapons, Just like the Ancient war ships had then for Broad side fire. But when Atlantis was first sieged they dident have the power to use them or dident know they existed

Comment

I would think that the ancients would have some kind of laser / beam / plasma weapon because only a fool would equip something with weapons that only have a limited supply of ammunition when you have the capability to use weapons that as long as they have a power supply can keep firing.

Comment

That is a good point, it does reason that we would be able to rig something up to atlantis as long as the shield lets everything from within it pass outward, it is also different from the aurora shields as it seems to be on all the time in space. Not sure if that would have any effect.

As for a handheld weapon, we have seen unreliable the weapon is. Under the atlantis shield and under a different powersource is another story, but in a handheld weapon it would probably break down so often it would become a liability. And it requires lots of power and a short charge up time. Why spend billions on a handheld when are primative weapons work just as good, and have we ever seen a sg team shoot a wraith in the head with a p90? That might kill them easy.

Also with a beam weapon you may have to shoot a wraith multiple times as well, and theres no reason to beleive we would be able to make a compact version, our compact version of the goauld hyperdrive didnt work right. And with a beam weapon we have already stopped the bleeding of the wraith by cauterizing the wound and stopped the hemoraging hehehe, he just has to heal the hole.
                            sigpic

Surely you cant be serious, I am serious and dont call me shirly.

Danmit. What is it Oneil? I forgot to tape the simpsons .... Its important to me

Sir i think you have gone mad with power.
                            Ofcourse I have, have you ever gone mad without power, its no fun, noone listens to you

Comment

Originally posted by Bray View Post
                              I would think that the ancients would have some kind of laser / beam / plasma weapon because only a fool would equip something with weapons that only have a limited supply of ammunition when you have the capability to use weapons that as long as they have a power supply can keep firing.
                              Well, Atlantis is just a city. I mean, I don't the ancient planned it with a huge arsenal in mind.

Drones are really powerful, and I bet when Atlantis was built, they probably had an infinite supply of them, hence no worries. Not to mention massive fleets of powerful warships and that entire network of satellites.

Ancients never planned Atlantis's drones and shields to be it's only source of defense. They probably had a defensive system involving the satellites, defensive fleet, drones and maybe other weapons not installed in the city.

On a different note, I believe Atlantis still have the railguns from The Siege/.
                              Last edited by Detox; 12 March 2008, 05:48 PM.
                              These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Working...
                              X