This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why was Michael Shanks not in season 6?

I am catching up on DVD and just curious.....Why was Michael Shanks not in Season Six? Was his contract up and he quit? Did he get fired? Did he ask for more money and not get it? Someone enlighten me.
    I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

There are more versions of why than there are grains of sand on a beach.

For some of the more popular, click on the link below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=3665
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chasydmarich
      I am catching up on DVD and just curious.....Why was Michael Shanks not in Season Six? Was his contract up and he quit? Did he get fired? Did he ask for more money and not get it? Someone enlighten me.
      Yep, there were lots of reasons why, but ultimately, I'm glad he came back. I really liked Jonas Quinn, but there was something missing without Dr. Jackson. I was happy Daniel came back, but I really was hoping Jonas would stay as part of the team. I was sad he left and then everyone forgot about him. That really wasn't cool cuz Jonas was a good addition to the team, no replacement for Daniel, but he sure held his own and contributed. I think it would have been cool to simply add another member. That's the thing about sci-fi, the writers always seem to think they have to follow a prescribed formula or something.

I really think they should have just added Jonas! But then again, I'm a freak cuz I used to think it woulda been cool if Capt. Picard remained Locutus and became Starfleet's biggest enemy! Heh...I just think it's cool to break formula every now and then.

Comment

He wasn't "satisfyed" with his roles and wanted to go out on his own and find more serious roles elsewhere, and not be forever bound to stargate, so he jumped ship. <cynical> Then he discovered that a faint resemblance to james spader does not make him a good actor, he couldn't get any jobs, and he came crawling back to sg-1. </cynical>

Comment

He wasn't "satisfyed" with his roles and wanted to go out on his own and find more serious roles elsewhere, and not be forever bound to stargate, so he jumped ship. <cynical> Then he discovered that a faint resemblance to james spader does not make him a good actor, he couldn't get any jobs, and he came crawling back to sg-1. </cynical>
          That's right, Michael found that he couldn't get any work (except guest roles on Stargate, guest roles on Andromeda, a small part in a medium film and a lead role in a small film, which obviously don't count because... um... if they did it would spoil the rest of my story) and so walked barefoot in the snow, uphill all the way, and begged TPTB to take him back. They did it, bless their hearts, (even though they had absolutely no reason to want Daniel on the show) out of sheer kindness and charity (because TV execs are like that all the time, oh yes) so that he could earn enough to support his twelve starving children. TPTB were even good enough to nominate him for an acting award soon after, to console him for being not a good actor.

Or how about this one: Having failed as an actor, he wanted his old job back, and so he went to TPTB and *told* them to let him come back. They accidentally forgot that he wasn't their boss and that they didn't have to do what he told them. It must have been because they were so distracted by all the penguins he'd set loose in the writers' room. (The penguins were a bit hyper because their scenes in Frozen had been cut.)

:: Re-inserts brain ::

Seriously folks, could we remember the Respect Real People rule that GW has? Speculation, nonsense and unkind gossip helps no one.
          Last edited by Madeleine; 23 October 2004, 12:20 AM.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
            Seriously folks, could we remember the Respect Real People rule that GW has? And if anyone's really going to pull speculation, nonsense and gossip out of thin air, please at least make it a bit entertaining and original
            Agreed. Only, rather than making "it a bit entertaining and original," how about we just refrain from it?

Don't get me wrong: My thoughts have gone down that path a couple of times in regards to this topic, but I'm not about to speculate about it heree - especially if I don't have any hardcore evidence to prove it. David Duchovny is a perfect example of a jerk actor (sorry, but it's true), but I'm not sure Michael Shanks falls into that category. Maybe it's his innocent baby blues, his wit and charm, and his excellent knack for comedic timing, but I think he's better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              ...how about we just refrain from it?
              Yup, you're absolutely right. I meant that last sentence totally toungue in cheek, and it's not turned out that way. I'll edit.

Madeleine

Comment

Seriously, there must be no greater sin than for an actor to leave a tv series. First, it's always world without end, amen because they want to make it as big time movie stars (and, I have something to say on that later). Then, if people start thinking that maybe wanting something more isn't the issue, it's more that they aren't satisfied with what's happening to a character they love, that still isn't enough. How dare they not be satisfied with every element about their character. How dare they not dislike every direction the character is taken in? This applies to many other actors besides MS. And, no matter how long the situation stands, they had just better stay and accept it. Put actor in a clown suit with no lines in every episode? Turn character into raving lunatic who'd beat his dog and then his wife? Make it clear that it won't change? Well, you'd just better not be disatisfied, buster! Who do you think you are? If any of you had the means and the opportunity (lets face it, actors who make it far enough don't usually have to stay at a job they don't like merely to get a paycheck) to leave a job that no longer fulfilled you, wouldn't you? Heck, sometimes Joe Normal Construction worker does decide to chuck it all and try his hand at opening a toy store because he thinks he'll like it better.

And, so what if an actor does want to "make it big"? Some succeed, some don't. Is the mere act of dreaming any reason to punish them, or gleefully say "I told you so" if they don't? Since when was dreaming and following your dreams cause for waiting for the person to fail? To have an "it serves them right" attitude?

Take David Duchovny. Only because the dancer of spaz's mention of him reminded me. I read so many things when he left the X-Files. Granted, I was disappointed, because (imo) the show didn't work without him. But, some people were saying that he owed the fans to stay. Because they "made" him. That he had no right whatsoever to want to do something different. He's been playing the same part for 7 years? Well, he'd better keep on playing it until he dies, because he has no right to want to do something else. They weren't even thinking about his personality. No, the very fact that he had the gall to want to leave made some people livid. Strap a scarlet letter to him, put him in the stocks, and burn him at the stake!

I'd say any actor on the show is perfectly within their rights to decide they want to do something else. I may personally be disappointed, but that has nothing to do with what they should do. And, if an actor does decide because they want to try to become mega movie stars, I wish them luck, and say they should follow their heart. And, I won't be waiting for them to fail either. But, heaven help the ones who don't make it big. Because working steadily, getting the chance to play different parts, even being part of a criticially acclaimed tv movie (Door to Door) ain't enough. (Of, course, he had a minor role, so you know, who counts that?) Unless you're a star it's no good.

Of course, it's always nice to have those charitable producers. Bless the sweethearts for taking an actor back with no thought to whether it would be good for the show, all to help the poor foolish creature who had spent his time away living in a gutter.

And, I won't be waiting for them to fail either.
                ETA: I personally don't consider working steadily even in the same galaxy as failure. Especially when you get the chance to work with one of the finest actors out there -William H Macy. And, get a wife to boot.
                Last edited by Dani347; 23 October 2004, 06:53 AM.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

You SHOULD re-insert your brain, your not making sense.

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                  That's right, Michael found that he couldn't get any work (except guest roles on Stargate, guest roles on Andromeda, a small part in a medium film and a lead role in a small film, which obviously don't count because... um... if they did it would spoil the rest of my story)
                  Great, guest roles on sci-fi shows, which he was trying to get away from in the first place. and roles in minor movies. not exactly what actors aspire to.

and so walked barefoot in the snow, uphill all the way, and begged TPTB to take him back. They did it, bless their hearts, (even though they had absolutely no reason to want Daniel on the show) out of sheer kindness and charity (because TV execs are like that all the time, oh yes) so that he could earn enough to support his twelve starving children. TPTB were even good enough to nominate him for an acting award soon after, to console him for being not a good actor.
                  But don't you see, he left sg-1 and wanted to go on to bigger and better things, but not having found any, because imo hes only an OK actor, he came back. SG-1 was his backup plan. Of course TPTB accepted him back, he's got a large fanbase on the show.

Or how about this one: Having failed as an actor, he wanted his old job back, and so he went to TPTB and *told* them to let him come back. They accidentally forgot that he wasn't their boss and that they didn't have to do what he told them. It must have been because they were so distracted by all the penguins he'd set loose in the writers' room. (The penguins were a bit hyper because their scenes in Frozen had been cut.)
                  I already explained this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                    And, so what if an actor does want to "make it big"? Some succeed, some don't. Is the mere act of dreaming any reason to punish them, or gleefully say "I told you so" if they don't? Since when was dreaming and following your dreams cause for waiting for the person to fail? To have an "it serves them right" attitude?

Take David Duchovny. Only because the dancer of spaz's mention of him reminded me. I read so many things when he left the X-Files. Granted, I was disappointed, because (imo) the show didn't work without him. But, some people were saying that he owed the fans to stay. Because they "made" him. That he had no right whatsoever to want to do something different. He's been playing the same part for 7 years? Well, he'd better keep on playing it until he dies, because he has no right to want to do something else. They weren't even thinking about his personality. No, the very fact that he had the gall to want to leave made some people livid. Strap a scarlet letter to him, put him in the stocks, and burn him at the stake!

I'd say any actor on the show is perfectly within their rights to decide they want to do something else. I may personally be disappointed, but that has nothing to do with what they should do. And, if an actor does decide because they want to try to become mega movie stars, I wish them luck, and say they should follow their heart. And, I won't be waiting for them to fail either. But, heaven help the ones who don't make it big. Because working steadily, getting the chance to play different parts, even being part of a criticially acclaimed tv movie (Door to Door) ain't enough. (Of, course, he had a minor role, so you know, who counts that?) Unless you're a star it's no good.

Of course, it's always nice to have those charitable producers. Bless the sweethearts for taking an actor back with no thought to whether it would be good for the show, all to help the poor foolish creature who had spent his time away living in a gutter.
                    I agree they have every right to do what they want. But he screwed up big time, and you people defending him are missing the obvious: SG-1 was not good enough for him, and that is what bothers me.

Comment

Personally, I think that whatever helpful info can be found in this thread should be enough to give the newbie any ideas and that the topic should be closed since it's readily apparent that some people cannot discuss the subject without resorting to personal insults, derogatory comments and vicious speculation.

Good post, BTW, Dani. Nice to know SOME maturity on the subject is possible.

Comment

Look, bottom line unless you are getting it straight from the horse's mouth (and I'm sure people would dispute it even then) the only answer anyone can honestly give to the question is Michael Shanks wasn't in season 6 because he didn't act (except guest star spots) in season 6. Why's and wherefore's are speculation, based largely on what you think of the guy.

You know, I realised I said all of the deleted part in my first post. No need to repeat myself.
                        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Drewbert. Madeleine has already asked you to adhere to the Forum rule regarding no personal attacks on the actors or PTB. Constructive criticism is one thing but wild speculation and insulting innuendo with nothing concrete to back it up is another.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

simple facts:

MS left at the end of s5
                            he was written out in such a way as to allow him to return if circumstances allowed
                            they did, he came back

those are the facts

everything else is pure speculation. the only people that know precisely what happened is MS, TPTB and the fly that was on the wall....and since the only one that can speak with any objectivity lacks the ability to speak(and given the lifespan of a fly, died several years ago), we'll never know exactly what happened.

The 'truth' is somewhere in the middle

How about we move onto bigger and better things huh?
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

beamed away by thor?

:ufo:

Comment

Working...
                              X