Human race after 50000 years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr.Mckay View Post
    Actually, the Earths temperature increases 1-2 degrees per year. Antarctica had rain forrests before because it was a part of Pangaea, the super continent, which means all the land pieces were connected together, and it was near the equator. When Pangaea started to break off, The continents began to move away from the Equator, which means it started to cool off, therefore, the rain forrests died, and Antarctica started to cool. Yes, we are all going to die sometime in the next 5 billion years because our Sun will turn into a red giant, therefore burn us to death, but atleast that's better than dying because of our own faults.
    You're naive to think that what you do does nothing to harm the environment. Think of it this way, there is 7 billion people in the world, say the 30% of the world throw their wrappers outside because they're just too damn bored, and want to be a retard. 30% would mean 2 bilion people throwing their wrappers outside, 2 billion wrappers in the streets, I think that's noticable. It just saddens me to think that there are still people like you around.
    Antartica had rainforest 40 thousand years ago, it wasnt a part of pangea then, and humans were around. We are coming out of a glacial period, compared to the bulk of the history of life on this planet we are living in an ice cube. Antarticas freezing has nothing to do with its location, it was caused by the overall cooling of the enviroment.

The retard calling isnt appreciated. But where do you think the material making up those candy wrappers came from, outer space? It came from here, in a petroleum and wood form. How is the equal amount of petroleum it came from any better than the environment than a wrapper on the ground? The world is a complete system and everything in it was here already, changing its form dosent matter. Were not subtracting or adding anything. Where do you think the carbon coming out of our exhaust system came from, mars? Its a part of the world and would be released anyways. Theres no moral component to using it as a resource and changing its form early.

We will find other resources when these run out, its a matter of infrastructure. It would cost to much to change the existing oil and gas support infrastructure until there is no other choice, then it becomes cost/benefit.

We are a part of the enviroment and are therefore incapable of doing anything unnatural. Instead of helping the world by contributing to progress people with this mindset are holding us back. Maybe fatally so as a species. Frankly its insulting an hypocritical that people denigrate progress while using it a benefitting from it. Youre using gas and oil right now arent you? Whats youre computer made out of? Whats youre food subjected too? If there were any honesty to the opposing opinion to mine they would all be living in amish towns and eating only plants.

Bart simpson said it best, we are all doomed when the sun explodes anyways, youre just ensuring that we spend our final days using inferior products.
    Last edited by kymeric; 09 March 2008, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
      we're not going to die because of technology, we're going to die because of depleting resources.
      and other species are certainly already dying because of our technology.
      See above post about resources, we will find more and cannibalize what weve already made and used for its precious materials when we need to.

As for other species dying, what like 98% of every living thing that has ever evolved on this planet has gone extinct. Thats how it works. Things grow and adapt to fit a niche then die and are replaced by organisms newly specialized for the new environment. What about the beings that will exist in the future? In our carbon rich defoliated future there will be life. Even if we junk all our tech and live like huntergatherers again that environment will inevitably arise as will the organisms that populate it.

One person cant change the future, neither can 7 billion. Look farther into the future than the next 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
        The world is a complete system and everything in it was here already, changing its form dosent matter.
        of course it does, you can't just recycle everything.
        for most of our resources you need a concentrated source for it to be viable
        can you recycle oil after you've used it? no
        can you recycle the catalysts used to make that wrapper you tossed? no
        Were not subtracting or adding anything. Where do you think the carbon coming out of our exhaust system came from, mars? Its a part of the world and would be released anyways. Theres no moral component to using it as a resource and changing its form early.
        not to the upper atmosphere where it breaks ozone molecules it's not

Comment

Antartica had rainforest 40 thousand years ago, it wasnt a part of pangea then, and humans were around. We are coming out of a glacial period, compared to the bulk of the history of life on this planet we are living in an ice cube. Antarticas freezing has nothing to do with its location, it was caused by the overall cooling of the enviroment.

The retard calling isnt appreciated. But where do you think the material making up those candy wrappers came from, outer space? It came from here, in a petroleum and wood form. How is the equal amount of petroleum it came from any better than the environment than a wrapper on the ground? The world is a complete system and everything in it was here already, changing its form dosent matter. Were not subtracting or adding anything. Where do you think the carbon coming out of our exhaust system came from, mars? Its a part of the world and would be released anyways. Theres no moral component to using it as a resource and changing its form early.

We will find other resources when these run out, its a matter of infrastructure. It would cost to much to change the existing oil and gas support infrastructure until there is no other choice, then it becomes cost/benefit.

We are a part of the enviroment and are therefore incapable of doing anything unnatural. Instead of helping the world by contributing to progress people with this mindset are holding us back. Maybe fatally so as a species. Frankly its insulting an hypocritical that people denigrate progress while using it a benefitting from it. Youre using gas and oil right now arent you? Whats youre computer made out of? Whats youre food subjected too? If there were any honesty to the opposing opinion to mine they would all be living in amish towns and eating only plants.

Bart simpson said it best, we are all doomed when the sun explodes anyways, youre just ensuring that we spend our final days using inferior products.
          40,000 years ago, Antarctica was in the place right now, because of continental drift, therefore, the temperature was the same as todays. Rainforests can't exist in the cold and dry climate in antarctica, they'll just die out.
          I never said that I NEVER use non-reusable resources, but I did say it's better to be respectful of our environment by throwing it in a recycle bin than not to.
          More trees are being cut down each year because of the growing population, and the habit of people not recycling. If they actually recycled, it would reduce it, and it's true.
          And to respond, our world isn't perfect. Because of these unfortunes, doing our part is better than to ignore the situation. and heaven is right, the ozone depleting things were never there if humans never invented it.
          Also our sun cant explode. lol

Comment

Open enough wormholes in its core and it can.

I figure we have three options for humans in 50,000 years.

1) We get wiped out.
            2)We become like unascended Ancients with all the funky abilities and tech, and enjoy that state for a while, at which point...
            3)We ascend.
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

In cosmic terms 50,000 years is not at all that long a time span. In the life of humans as a species its also not all that long if you look back at our evolution. Its another question what outside forces do to us or what we might to to ourselves in that period.

In the time line of the show it does not look good. For no other reason then the fact that Atlantis with all its technology and wonders was abandoned. For that to happen and for Rodney's avatar to not mention to John if there had been visits to the city from humans is a telling sign. Surely in 50,000 years they would have millions of people on Atlantis if humanity was still functional.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mckay View Post
                40,000 years ago, Antarctica was in the place right now, because of continental drift, therefore, the temperature was the same as todays. Rainforests can't exist in the cold and dry climate in antarctica, they'll just die out.
                I never said that I NEVER use non-reusable resources, but I did say it's better to be respectful of our environment by throwing it in a recycle bin than not to.
                More trees are being cut down each year because of the growing population, and the habit of people not recycling. If they actually recycled, it would reduce it, and it's true.
                And to respond, our world isn't perfect. Because of these unfortunes, doing our part is better than to ignore the situation. and heaven is right, the ozone depleting things were never there if humans never invented it.
                Also our sun cant explode. lol

Lol, did you just support ure argument by basically saying antartica is at the south pole 40k so it was cold so there was no rain forests? That makes no sense and isnt a proof. Antartica was more or less in the same place 40k years ago, there were rainforests as evidenced by the dating of the ice cores and the dating of the biological remains in the top strata. If there were rainforest plants the 40k and the continent was in the same place 40k then it was obviously a warm place. And if its warm there its warm everywhere, cold spots dont randomly appear. UcWutIdidThar?

Resources are assests to be spent, thats how it it. When theyre spent u come up with new ones or stop doing whatever it was the old assets were used for.

Screw respecting the environment. Its been doing its best to kill us our entire existance. Wanna save small pox? Maybe we should respect AIDS too? After all its nature and has rights. Worse case senario we all end up living in a giant underground city like in the matrix movies. Im ok with that, screw nature. We have machines that can make oxygen.

Never heard of a supernova huh? Our sun may not have enough mass to complete blow but it will blast off most off its mass before collapsing, if thats not an explosion what is?

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                  of course it does, you can't just recycle everything.
                  for most of our resources you need a concentrated source for it to be viable
                  can you recycle oil after you've used it? no
                  can you recycle the catalysts used to make that wrapper you tossed? no

not to the upper atmosphere where it breaks ozone molecules it's not
                  So then its used up and we find some other source of power. Big deal. We can make plastics out of corn, so wut exactly would we be loosing by using up all the oil? The intrinisic value of large unused oil deposits? U know theyre just sitting there right?

Except the ozone hole shrinks and expands, but these horrible gasses we emit are growing at an increased rate. Maybe its not the gasses and is self correcting. If not its ok, Ozone can be manafactured. It becomes too bad then we can replace it. Wouldnt be cheap but there u go.

Comment

Antartica had rainforest 40 thousand years ago,
                    That simply, is not correct. 40 million maybe, not 40 thousand. What is your source for this figure?
                    My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

So then its used up and we find some other source of power. Big deal. We can make plastics out of corn, so wut exactly would we be loosing by using up all the oil? The intrinisic value of large unused oil deposits? U know theyre just sitting there right?
                      the oil? nothing, it's just that we don't have an alternative
                      but there are many other resources that are irreplaceable, the same resources used to make that computer you're typing on
                      and no, you can't recycle them
                      Except the ozone hole shrinks and expands, but these horrible gasses we emit are growing at an increased rate. Maybe its not the gasses and is self correcting. If not its ok, Ozone can be manafactured. It becomes too bad then we can replace it. Wouldnt be cheap but there u go.
                      LOL. really? and how are you gonna get it up there?

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                        I don't think humans of the stargate universe would of died off, unless they were wiped out by a plague or an enemy. If Earth died what difference would it make in the stargate universe? There are thousands of other habitable worlds out there humans can relocate to. We wouldn't die because of lack of resources, since we'd likely have something close to if not surpassing ZPM's 50,000 years in the future. I think Earth would be a thriving civilisations, spread across a few galaxies, having a huge empire and basically being the police of the universe. I think the reason Atlantis was abandoned is well after progression from meeting various other races in the universe, advancing on our own, using asgard and ancient tech, Atlantis simply became obsolete, they didn't need it anymore.

I personally think the episode would've been 100 times better if they showed the future humans or future earth instead of skipping on it to get sheppard home quickly.
                        People give Earth way too much credit. The Ancients developed there technology over millions of years. In 50,000 years our brains still wouldn't be near what an Ancients was capable of. We would be definitely very advanced but Atlantis being obsolete? No. Politics made us leave Atlantis and we likely returned to Atlantis at one time and realize it was not salvagable an went back to Earth. Or as it may. We may not exist in the future. It seemed to me that when Rodney went back to Atlantis that Earth was at war with someone.

Comment

Just think how much oil is going to cost then. Gasoline prices will be through the roof!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mckay
                            Yeah because the human race before weren't "smart" enough to invent burning of fossil fuels to induce carbon monoxide, chlorofluorocarbons and other harmful chemicals into the atmosphere, kill our o-zone layer, and don't have a clue how to reverse it. 50,000 years isn't much if we had nuclear fusion
                            there are some interesting points of view in this thread. so after i read through it i must add a few things.
                            for starters, we actually have a very good idea of how to reverse global warming. we can make o-zone and release it in the atmosphere. it's easy but it just costs too much so politicians decided to go with an air conditioner instead. we also posses technologies that would effectively replace fossil fuels but we won't use it. why? because there's far too much money to be made in oil trade, car industries, etc. G.W.Bush just invaded iraq for it's oil reserves. do you want to see all that hard work destroyed.

of course i must reply to kymerics posts. while i agree with your point of view i'm a little surprised that people didn't get at you more. you've got some radical views and people usually disagree with them. but i must add a few things. usually people think that SUVs and heavy traffic in general is bad. hidden from common knowledge is the fact that after 9/11 attacks when the government grounded all air traffic the skies cleared up. most will say thats a good thing. wrong. that's bad. very bad. in a few days time the temperature in California rose for 5 degrees celsius. and the weather didn't change. it's all the dust and air pollution that we made over the last 50 years that made a layer in our atmosphere that reflects much of the sunlight therefore shielding us from high temperatures.

furthermore someone mentioned the depletion of raw materials and wars after that. 1st and 2nd world war were nothing compared to the next real war that we have coming. when the time comes war like we can't imagine is going to strike us. this time casualties won't be in tens of millions but in billions. i just hope that i and everyone i'll ever know won't be around then. if you just take a look at the state of international politics and economy you can see that war is inevitable. perhaps not in 50 years but certainly in this century. why? because if some breakthrough in science is going to happen the world won't take it. it'll be too much for all those religious bigots (who by the way interfere with our lives all the time) to take. also profits in oil trade, industries etc...

hope i didn't complicate it too much.
                            sigpic

Comment

If Shepard had gone back, he would find that Earth is populated by hot blonde chicks who are hunted by underground humanoid monsters.

Then he will enlist the help of a hologram and defeat the evil monsters, and discover a steam-powered time machine which he can use to travel back in time to Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by ziga1980 View Post
                                we actually have a very good idea of how to reverse global warming. we can make o-zone and release it in the atmosphere.
                                LOL good luck with that plan
                                even if we could produce the continent worth of ozone required, we have no way to get it up there

Comment

Working...
                                X