McKay's Determination (Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McKay's Determination (Spoilers)

The thing that really got me when watching this episode is how tough McKay is.

Sheppard gets sent 48 000 yrs into the future, Teyla is murdered, Sam sacrifices herself fighting 3 hives and Ronan blows himself up. After all this Woolsey is put in charge and Rodney disagrees with his decisions about running Atlantis so much he goes back to Earth. Things look up a bit when he starts going out with Keller, but then he has to watch her slowly die of a horrible disease.

Not many people could handle losing 5 of their best friends (not including Beckett and Wier previously) in the space of about a year without having a mental breakdown or something.

But McKay instead spends the next 25 years of his life working on a way to try and save everyone. Now that is what I call dedication.

This episode really made me see Rodney in a new light. Not many people could work for 25 years after going through all that, without giving up. It shows how much time he had for his friends.

What do you guys think?
    sigpic

I agree completely. He essentially spent 25 years of his life working on something which MAY save his friends and girlfriend. Dispite the fact that he could have just been wasting his life (as it may not have been possible) he continued to work. I got the impression that even if there was only a 1 in 100 chance of it actually working McKay still would have dedicated his entire life to the project.

Comment

I completely agree too! It was rather heartbreaking actually for me to see he was working on something that may or may not save everyone, and he knew he would not live the day to find out whether or not it would work. It really showed the strenght of Rodney and his dedication to the people of Atlantis and the people of the Pegasus Galaxy. loved it!
      Sigs by me, CazzBlade, Luciana, csom, scifan, sgmajorshipper, x_stargatergirl_x and LJ's glaringcandle
      Save Our Seeker!
      LotS on LJ.

Comment

He's come a long way from the SG-1 days.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
          He's come a long way from the SG-1 days.
          defo!! he is such a dedicated person since he came from sg1 where he couldn't care about anyone but himself
          sigpic
          [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

Originally posted by The.Road.Not.Taken View Post
            defo!! he is such a dedicated person since he came from sg1 where he couldn't care about anyone but himself
            Not true. He had his cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
              The thing that really got me when watching this episode is how tough McKay is.

Sheppard gets sent 48 000 yrs into the future, Teyla is murdered, Sam sacrifices herself fighting 3 hives and Ronan blows himself up. After all this Woolsey is put in charge and Rodney disagrees with his decisions about running Atlantis so much he goes back to Earth. Things look up a bit when he starts going out with Keller, but then he has to watch her slowly die of a horrible disease.

Not many people could handle losing 5 of their best friends (not including Beckett and Wier previously) in the space of about a year without having a mental breakdown or something.

But McKay instead spends the next 25 years of his life working on a way to try and save everyone. Now that is what I call dedication.

This episode really made me see Rodney in a new light. Not many people could work for 25 years after going through all that, without giving up. It shows how much time he had for his friends.

What do you guys think?
              Per the bolded part....This is why I think the episode is named 'The Last Man'. Rodney is the last one and he keeps fighting until the very end. And then, he doesn't even know if he is successful or not.

Comment

Not true, the Last Man is most probably John, the last man alive (or so we assume).

Lorne also survived and made general, got command of the SGC and helped Rodney save the world.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                  Not true, the Last Man is most probably John, the last man alive (or so we assume).

Lorne also survived and made general, got command of the SGC and helped Rodney save the world.
                  You can 'assume' what you want. I'll think what I want. And neither one of us are 'wrong' for doing so.

Comment

He is now a true hero, or it well be
                    The enemy of my enemy it's still my enemy.
                    Spoiler:
                    Originally posted by Karhedron
                    I think the thing with the Quantum mirror and The 6th Race would rather result in a thread like

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't like the Asgard .

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for the Asgard. They were just making it so they could snub their noses at them from several dimensions. They might have been powerful but their lack of respect for our off-world allies is astonishing.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7...3095364gi3.png

Comment

This is very, very true. The look of utter devastation on his face about what happened to Jen was so gut-wrenching. He could have crawled into a hole and died, but instead he dedicated the rest of his life to the hope that he might save her and the others.
                      Theoretically spoilerish:
                      Spoiler:
                      Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

I'm glad to see he finally channeled that massive ego of his into something worthwhile. It was so sad to hear that eventually even his sister walked out on him.

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                          You can 'assume' what you want. I'll think what I want. And neither one of us are 'wrong' for doing so.
                          I think the title can be equally attributed to both of them. They are both The Last Man in their own way. It's one of those titles that is intentionally left open to interpretation as to who it relates too.
                          I like it when the meaning of the title isn't necessarily black and white, makes you think a little more deeply than you normally would.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                            I think the title can be equally attributed to both of them. They are both The Last Man in their own way. It's one of those titles that is intentionally left open to interpretation as to who it relates too.
                            I like it when the meaning of the title isn't necessarily black and white, makes you think a little more deeply than you normally would.
                            Agreed. I'd say it can be attributed to both too.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

This episode just affirms why Rodney McKay is, IMHO, the greatest character on Stargate. He's an everyday hero, you know? We've seen this time and time again, and now we've seen him at his best...for now.

But what really got to me was how he was living the "dream" of many of this world. I'm sure a lot of us would like to turn back time and change something in the past to make our lives better (well, I would like that, anyway), but Rodney has actually the tools to do so. Or rather, he was driven to such desperation by all of his hurt and pain that he spent 25 years looking for those tools. It's hard to describe in words just how powerful that idea is.

The more I think about it, the more agree with McKay = The Last Man. John was really just coming along for the ride on a Mckay story.

Comment

Working...
                              X