The final scene: It just didn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The final scene: It just didn't work

The final scene, where Carson is being put into stasis, was not pulled off correctly. No, it's not the fact that he was put into stasis, it's how it was portrayed.

I'm in the camp that believes this important scene should have been much more emotional and dramatic.

What was wrong with it? I can't put my finger on it, but I'd say it was one or more of the following:
    1. The suggestion by Keller that he go into stasis was done a tad too early in the episode; so the shock we should have felt when he went into stasis was removed.
    2. It was too clinical. Everyone was lined up, ready to say their pseudo-goodbyes on cue. Their reactions to it seemed forced.
    3. When the camera pulled away right at the end we should have seen all their faces from the front, their facial expressions, not their backs and just the faces of Beckett and McKay.
    4. For those of us who've seen the SG-1 episode "The Lost City", you'll remember the stasis scene there. Maybe expectations were too influenced by that one.

You know, maybe that's how that's they wanted the scene to be played out. Maybe placing Carson in stasis was meant to be a clinical non-dramatic non-sad process....

(Carson/McGillion himself was excellent in EVERY scene.)

I thought it was beautifully done. It was the goodbye scene that we should have had the "first" time Carson left. He said goodbye to everyone, individually, and the love and respect they had for him was right there.
    sigpic

Comment

my only probelm with the final scene was that rodney didn't really say anything heart felt .....the dream line didn't work for me at all.
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

If you watch Carter closely it seems like she does a semblance of the gasp that she did when O'Neill was put into the one in Antartica. I thought it was beautifully done, myself. We know McKay already said goodby to Carson in his imagination at the end of Sunday so in his mind he would have no reason to do it again. He also alludes to that when he says that that's how he "remembered it".

Comment

Mckay not saying anything or hugging Carson I felt was a bit weird, but maybe in the previous chat they had (where Carson said he knew his prognosis) they said there good byes then?
          sigpic
          banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

It would make sense. Fans: "Imagine they said goodbye to each other so we don´t have to write it there"

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

I bought it. It was sad and depressing. It was a good tribute to Lost City. The carter bits felt alittle off but i guess she needed to be there. Was that a new room? Refurbished antartica room set maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                my only probelm with the final scene was that rodney didn't really say anything heart felt .....the dream line didn't work for me at all.
                That's Rodney though; he's very awkward in situations like that.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Huh?

So they can thaw him out as needed by the producer.

Like Teyla needs time off for after the pregancy, so she disspears for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by txTart View Post
                    I thought it was beautifully done. It was the goodbye scene that we should have had the "first" time Carson left. He said goodbye to everyone, individually, and the love and respect they had for him was right there.
                    I agree
                    sigpic
                    Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

Originally posted by SpetzAU View Post
                      The final scene, where Carson is being put into stasis, was not pulled off correctly. No, it's not the fact that he was put into stasis, it's how it was portrayed.

I'm in the camp that believes this important scene should have been much more emotional and dramatic.

What was wrong with it? I can't put my finger on it, but I'd say it was one or more of the following:
                      1. The suggestion by Keller that he go into stasis was done a tad too early in the episode; so the shock we should have felt when he went into stasis was removed.
                      2. It was too clinical. Everyone was lined up, ready to say their pseudo-goodbyes on cue. Their reactions to it seemed forced.
                      3. When the camera pulled away right at the end we should have seen all their faces from the front, their facial expressions, not their backs and just the faces of Beckett and McKay.
                      4. For those of us who've seen the SG-1 episode "The Lost City", you'll remember the stasis scene there. Maybe expectations were too influenced by that one.

You know, maybe that's how that's they wanted the scene to be played out. Maybe placing Carson in stasis was meant to be a clinical non-dramatic non-sad process....

(Carson/McGillion himself was excellent in EVERY scene.)
                      Keep in mind that these people are used to Carson being dead. They still aren't 100% sure what to make of this new one but they're just glad to get him back. They also know for definate that there IS a way to keep him alive providing they find out exactly what Michael was injecting him with. So to them it isn't Carson going away it's them making sure that carson will be alive. That isn't something to be sad about.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
                        Mckay not saying anything or hugging Carson I felt was a bit weird, but maybe in the previous chat they had (where Carson said he knew his prognosis) they said there good byes then?
                        I think mckay's silence worked. it's obvious he cares for carson and that might've been somewhat over-emphasized if they had a long emotional goodbye at the end. you pretty much knew what they would've said anyway. and, as someone else said, no one was sure quite how to react yet to carson being back.

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
                          The way I see Mckay and his whole attitude is: he doesn't want to lose his best friend again and so he refuses to accept he could die.

Mckay lost him once and this was perhaps the happiest thing that has happened to him in awhile, he won't let anything hurt or remove his friend from him again.

I wonder, could I be in Stargate?
                          Probably not

Comment

I love the final scene. Okay, I wasn't on my needs crying but I did enjoy it, however I do agree if the camera was on their faces, capturing their emotions, it would have made the end scene even more emotional.

Spoiler:

But I wasn't too fussed as some of you know already, there was the cute guy by the console behind carter that IMO, deserves a permanent role on Atlantis.

Spoiler:

LOL

Comment

J HH you really are stuck on the cutie in the backgroung lol

Comment

Working...
                              X