Dean Devlin and his Stargate Trilogy

Originally posted by ChrisDoucette
    Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc
    10250 Constellation Boulevard
    Los Angeles, CA 90067
    Phone: (310) 449-3000
    Fax: (310) 449-8750
    Web Site: http://www.mgm.com/

Ok, on my previous thread i got out of control and attacked stargate sg-1.
    I was also uneducated on the situation but now im not. I did research.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/archiv...ovienews.shtml
    Now to understand what I'm about to talk about, read the article above.

I think its fair to say that MGM ran off with Stargate, now because they owned the rights, there allowed to do what they want, but what they did is Stealing.
    Sg-1 was a good show, its had its ups and downs, but its not the true vision of Stargate. Ever since MGM took stargate and made it into a show, Dean Devlin has been pushing to continue his Stargate Legacy. In late 2002, when the show was supposebly dieing, Dean did an interview.

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...&obj_id=35086#

He said,
    “Tell all the fans to write to MGM, I’m ready to make part two and three anytime. I have the stories. It’s all worked out. The actors want to do it. We just need MGM to say yes. Write, call, get on their website, get them to do it and I’ll be the first one in line to do it.”

Well, there you have it, it may be 2 years old, but i did alot of searching on Dean Devlin and hes appeared on chat rooms and done interviews, and he still wants to do his trilogy. After all, mgm may have the rights, but Stargate belongs to Dean Devlin.

I'm not asking to shut down any Stargate shows, im asking to do what Dean said, support him in his effort to finish the Stargate Trilogy. He is the creater of Stargate, dont we owe him atleast some support?
    Last edited by chrisdoucette; 22 October 2004, 12:59 PM.

I concur! I loved the Stargate movie and was really curious to see what would happen afterwards if SG-1 hadn't been done. I hope it does come around sometime...
    "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Well isn't there a series of books that have an alternate version of the way things COULD have gon (no SG-1)?
      [email protected]
      http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
      One nation under dog
      There of which I stand alone
      A face in the crowd
      Unsung, against the mold
      Without a doubt
      Singled out
      The only way I know

Comment

right ok you need a reality check.

the original SG concept was great. now like many things it has been expanded from a limited movie script to a wide open for experimentation tv show.

things change. now if a direct sequel to the movie was made it would continue the original but it would also destroy the legacy in my opinion. its like saying we should all go back to using 8-bit green screen home computers because that is what came first. basically to me you are being a luddite but with SG not technology

the king is dead long live the king

Comment

uhm, those series of books are fan fiction if im not mistaken.

I have a qoute from simon404
          "This movie wasn't bad, but still didn't really tie up all the loose ends."

Well, if a sequel had been released, the loose ends would have been tied up.
          Everyone seems to think that the show is better than having 2 sequels, but how do you know it is if you havnt seen them? I really think you all should stop praising the show so much and just give Dean Devlin a chance to make and release his 2 sequels.
          You all praise MGM so much for the excellent sg-1 show but if it werent for Dean there wouldnt be a show. I'm not always good at proving points so please just think about this whole thing.
          Last edited by chrisdoucette; 19 October 2004, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisdoucette
            Ok, on my previous thread i got out of control and attacked stargate sg-1.
            I was also uneducated on the situation but now im not. I did research.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/archiv...ovienews.shtml
            Now to understand what I'm about to talk about, read the article above.

I think its fair to say that MGM ran off with Stargate, now because they owned the rights, there allowed to do what they want, but what they did is Stealing.
            Uhh no, it's not stealing, it's called BUYING. MGM BOUGHT the rights to Stargate fair and square. What you're saying is like me selling you my house and then complaining when you decide to remodel. It's YOUR house, YOU bought it and you can do what you want with it. I sold it to you, so I don't have any say in the matter anymore. It doesn't matter if I built the house in the first place, because I don't own it anymore!
            Sg-1 was a good show, its had its ups and downs, but its not the true vision of Stargate.
            Says you.

Personally I didn't love the movie at first, I thought it was generic Sci-Fi action, ho hum. Then I saw the series. And you know what? BECAUSE of SG-1, I like the movie. I bought the movie because I like the series.

As for new movies? If Devlin managed to do his trilogy, with Kurt Russell, et. al. I would probably watch them, and just consider it some weird Alternate Universe version of Stargate, but like Teal'c, I would say "ours is the only reality of consequence."

I would MUCH rather see an SG-1 series of films then a sequel to the Devlin version.

Just MHO.
            Sam & Jack 'Ship...

Comment

anyone else?

Comment

There is no chance that a Stargate Trilogy could have brought anywhere NEAR as much enjoyment as Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis have.

I mean, Sure, having A So-So Stargate Movie, and 2 Good Sequels would have been nice, but come on, They wouldn't have led to the great SG1 Universe that we have now.

Finishing off the Stargate Trilogy would split the Stargate Universe into two paths, and since Atlantis is what's going to be holding up the Stargate franchise, I just don't want to see that happen. Keep the SG Universe as it is. Stargate: SG1 and Stargate: Atlantis movies would be best.
                sigpic

Comment

I would give the movie sequels a chance, but no matter how good they were I doubt they would be better than 8 years of SG-1. If MGM really wanted to let Devlin do a sequel they could always start it off with the quantum mirror or some other alternate universe transporter, and not mess with the current storyline.

Emmerich and Devlin fans will always complain about the series, hardcore SG-1 lovers will complain about Atlantis and Infinity, and Infinity fans will complain about...... oh wait I don't think there are Infinity fans
                  My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
                    I would give the movie sequels a chance, but no matter how good they were I doubt they would be better than 8 years of SG-1. If MGM really wanted to let Devlin do a sequel they could always start it off with the quantum mirror or some other alternate universe transporter, and not mess with the current storyline.

Emmerich and Devlin fans will always complain about the series, hardcore SG-1 lovers will complain about Atlantis and Infinity, and Infinity fans will complain about...... oh wait I don't think there are Infinity fans
                    Ah, but the Other universe can't violate the laws of physics, and I doubt his ideas would go with established Stargate science.

I'd be the first to complain, you know....
                    sigpic

Comment

The movie was OK... nothing I even wanted to watch twice though. I've seen this stuff come up before (about how upset the original creators are). But it's been 10 years and they're not over it yet? C'mon man, just create something new....
                      Fitness Buddies

Comment

Originally posted by chrisdoucette
                        I really think you all should stop praising the show so much and just give Dean Devlin a chance to make and release his 2 sequels.
                        We praise the show so much because we love it. It is entertaining for us and this is a fan site. Try walking into the Republican National Convention and asking everyone to vote for Kerry... you wouldn't make it out alive.

Now, you are asking us to give Devlin a chance, but is not ours to give. It is MGMs and they will NEVER agree to it. A Stargate 2 would confuse fans too much... it would conflict too much with the series. Besides, MGM is tight on money and barely able to keep SG-1 and SGA alive. They don't need to start another big budget movie. Stargate 2 would require a budget of around $90 million for the actors, sets and fx. Remember, everything from the movie (the stargate, the sets) were destroyed and rebuilt in a similar fashion for SG-1. But if you ever watch the show you realize the secret military underground facility vibe isn't really there.

Movies are designed for amazing visuals and a story told through images. TV is really just radio with pictures. Very different mediums.

Devlin created Stargate.
                        MGM, Showtime, and TPTB created the Stargate Universe.

Comment

Like some others above me, I didn't like the Stargate movie until way after I loved Stargate SG-1. I know who the originals are, but in my mind, if you asked me who Jack O'Neill was, I'd say Richard Dean Anderson and not Kurt Russell. If you asked me who i think of when I think of Daniel, I'll say Michael Shanks. When you ask me about Stargate, my mind goes first to the TV show and THEN it's like...oh yeah, there was a movie!

Honestly, the first movie didn't do that well in the box office. It was okay, but definitely not a huge sci-fi blockbuster. MGM has a success with the TV shows. Can we guarantee the moneymaking with the new movies? It's conceivable that for the most part, the majority of moviegoers would be among the TV fans, and since it's a cable show, we're not looking at that big of numbers. I'm not sure a second movie would make commercial sense.

And from what I've heard, Devlin had the opportunity to be more involved with the TV show. I suppose he could have had his vision play out more on the TV screen, but he turned down the creation credits. He gave up his idea, in that sense. Maybe it isn't a move legally, but he sort of signed away his involvement with the way Stargate goes with that action. Just two cents.

Comment

I am torn between the choices. On one hand, after 8 years SG-1 universe is build and the fanbase set, having Dean's trilogy would create massive confusion. On the other hand, I would love to see new ideas and Dean's vision on Stargate. I know if left to MGM, they would never do a movie unless they've milked every last penny out of the TV series.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

The show did the movie honor for the most part. It added to to the storyline bringing up many characters from the movie. If the other movies were to be made, I'd just hope they would do the same for sg-1. If they made them as if sg-1 never existed then that would be wrong in my opinion, And possibly ruin many of the sg-1 stories, or in my opinion ruin the movie instead, because I would probally chose at this point to go with show, since it was first to play out those story arcs.

Comment

Working...
                              X