This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combating copyright infringement

How can we do it? I've seen countless episodes online (I know it's bad... but I really don't want to wait for the next showing of the episode, especially if that's a few months off) and I think that is the reason that (or at least a contributing factor of) SG-1 being cancelled (fine, formatted differently). I don't want to see the same thing happen to SGA, and I definitely don't want Continuum to be leaked, and if it is, I want it to be taken down asap.

How can I report these links as copyright infringements? The websites that host the links to the infringements often have a "report a copyright violation" submission form, but I've tried using them, and most don't work.

If I find a way, or someone posts one here, will you help me cleanse the internet of these unauthorized Stargate postings?

Originally posted by gateman2007 View Post
    How can we do it? I've seen countless episodes online (I know it's bad... but I really don't want to wait for the next showing of the episode, especially if that's a few months off) and I think that is the reason that (or at least a contributing factor of) SG-1 being cancelled (fine, formatted differently). I don't want to see the same thing happen to SGA, and I definitely don't want Continuum to be leaked, and if it is, I want it to be taken down asap.

How can I report these links as copyright infringements? The websites that host the links to the infringements often have a "report a copyright violation" submission form, but I've tried using them, and most don't work.

If I find a way, or someone posts one here, will you help me cleanse the internet of these unauthorized Stargate postings?
    http://www.copynot.com/Page%202.html
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Why would you want to? They don't hurt the franchise...

Comment

nope it isn't
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

It only really hurts the films if loads of people intend to watch it but not buy the dvd, if I miss one that I really want to see I watch it online, I still buy the dvd box sets etc. so it's not such a problem.
          Best quotes ever:
          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
          Thor:I like the yellow ones
          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Since my last post got deleted by the moderators with no warning, I figured I should post again.

The people who download episodes as and when they come out have no effect on the franchise; it's Nielsen ratings which affect it, and considering how most of the people who download it don't even live in America, I'd say that your argument that we're "damaging the franchise" and causing the shows not to get renewed is flat out bull.

*mod snip*
            Your post was deleted because it was rude and insulting. Argue the point, but we won't tolerate attacks on posters.
            Last edited by kiwigater; 17 February 2008, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Although now (thanks to SKYONE) I only have to wait a few days between episodes airing in America and the UK, I've become to used to downloading episodes I do it anyway. Then I get to watch it without adverts.

When I have money I'll get them all on DVD anyway.

Comment

You seem to all be saying that downloading episodes isn't going to decrease ratings, because the Nielson ratings system only represents a portion of households. That doesn't make sense to me; if the Nielson households that watch stargate are at all a representation of the non-Nielson households that watch stargate, then a percentage of them will be downloading episodes, and not watching them on air. If there were no episodes online, then those people would be more inclined to watch it on broadcast, therefore increasing the ratings. Of course, it's possible that they may simply stop watching the episodes because it would become much more difficult to do, but who knows?

Actually, you're correct about SG-1's cancellation not being ratings-based, although that doesn't mean the cancellation of Atlantis couldn't be.

Also, just because dedicated Stargate fans will most likely buy the direct-to-dvd movies and SGA dvds, doesn't mean that occasional viewers will, especially if they are presented with an alternative (e.g. watching/downloading online)

I know that I seem like a jerk trying to take away people's ability to watch any stargate episode whenever they feel like it.. for free.. but I'd prefer to miss a few episodes (and watch them when they are re-aired), than to have to miss the series (miss like 'long for', not accidentally not see).

Comment

You seem to all be saying that downloading episodes isn't going to decrease ratings, because the Nielson ratings system only represents a portion of households. That doesn't make sense to me; if the Nielson households that watch stargate are at all a representation of the non-Nielson households that watch stargate, then a percentage of them will be downloading episodes, and not watching them on air. If there were no episodes online, then those people would be more inclined to watch it on broadcast, therefore increasing the ratings. Of course, it's possible that they may simply stop watching the episodes because it would become much more difficult to do, but who knows?

Actually, you're correct about SG-1's cancellation not being ratings-based, although that doesn't mean the cancellation of Atlantis couldn't be.

Also, just because dedicated Stargate fans will most likely buy the direct-to-dvd movies and SGA dvds, doesn't mean that occasional viewers will, especially if they are presented with an alternative (e.g. watching/downloading online)

I know that I seem like a jerk trying to take away people's ability to watch any stargate episode whenever they feel like it.. for free.. but I'd prefer to miss a few episodes (and watch them when they are re-aired), than to have to miss the series (miss like 'long for', not accidentally not see).
                  Considering how the episodes are released by groups like LOL, NoTV and XOR AFTER they air in the united states, why would anyone in the states wait an extra hour to download them rather than watching them when they air?

The people who download Stargate episodes are people in other countries who DON'T have access to the SciFi channel.

[mod snip]
                  Last edited by TameFarrar; 20 February 2008, 07:20 PM.

Comment

go to the MGM site or SciFi site or both, find their feedback and report it. in fact, most of the big sites have addresses to report copyright infringement.

Comment

First of all, most of those websites are hosted in places such as the Netherlands where it's legal to make a home copy of media for personal use Copyright law 1912 section 16c, so there is no legal ground to take them down.
                      Secondly, MGM won't bother to sue every website , especially the ones abroad, because there is way to many of them.
                      Thirdly , it is still not proven wether or not downloading has an adverse effect on sales, most people wouldn't buy eveything they download and still buy the stuff they like, I myself pre-ordered AoT only after seeing it.

Originally posted by jenks
                      Studio executives couldn't give a rats arse about people outside the US watching Stargate illegally.
                      , if it's not aired there they can't make less money out of it, unless it's DVD sales, and things that don't get advertised won't be sold on DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                        Thirdly , it is still not proven wether or not downloading has an adverse effect on sales, most people wouldn't buy eveything they download and still buy the stuff they like, I myself pre-ordered AoT only after seeing it.
                        In fact there is a study that proves that downloading music actually has a positive effect on music sales, here's the link

clicky clicky
                        A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Partially true. But then again occasional viewers are most likely patiant enough to wait until they can see it on tv.

Also I am British. We do get Stargate a few months after you yanks but only on sky, not terrestrial. And not only do I not have Sky, because I am in uni, I also do not have a tv so the only way I can see my favorite show without buying the dvds (which i do when i have the money but i don't have all that much cash being a student.) is to download, which is increasingly more difficult.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Because of fontsizes I only saw "Combating copyright" - that sounded like a worthwhile cause.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                              Also I am British. We do get Stargate a few months after you yanks but only on sky, not terrestrial. And not only do I not have Sky, because I am in uni, I also do not have a tv so the only way I can see my favorite show without buying the dvds (which i do when i have the money but i don't have all that much cash being a student.) is to download, which is increasingly more difficult.
                              I hear you brother. I don't have a TV either since all of the channels here are in Czech and I don't understand a word, so all my TV is downloaded lol.

Usenet (google it) is your friend, btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X