This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will Woolsey be integrated? [spoilers]

Disclaimer: Since the other Wolsey topic has become clogged with Ihate Wolsey/I like Wolsey/my reaction to the Wolsey news etc...
    I wanted to start a topic about the character of Wolsey in season 5

Now onto the sepculation...

If I had to guess why Wolsey will be appointed as commander in season 5 I would say either

a) He pushed for the job (unlikely since he respects Carter)

or

b) He was sent to Atlantis to fail, his fellow IOA members have sent him to Pegasus hoping to see him fall flat on his face and fail terribly.

Personally I hope it turns out more like b) because it has the potential to be a good story and also because it would make Wolsey a more sympathetic commander
    sigpic

so, to clarify, this is to DISCUSS how woolsey will be handled....as such 'he sucks and shouldn't be here' or 'so and so shoudl be in his place' is off topic.

He's there. end of story. whether or not he SHOULD be there isn't the topic.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith View Post
      Disclaimer: Since the other Wolsey topic has become clogged with Ihate Wolsey/I like Wolsey/my reaction to the Wolsey news etc...
      I wanted to start a topic about the character of Wolsey in season 5

Now onto the sepculation...

If I had to guess why Wolsey will be appointed as commander in season 5 I would say either

a) He pushed for the job (unlikely since he respects Carter)

or

b) He was sent to Atlantis to fail, his fellow IOA members have sent him to Pegasus hoping to see him fall flat on his face and fail terribly.

Personally I hope it turns out more like b) because it has the potential to be a good story and also because it would make Wolsey a more sympathetic commander
      I hope this topic stays and does not get merged. Anyhow I think there is a third option.With the loss of two recent commanders the IOA sends him to straighten the place up. So he doesn't want the position and is literally forced there to fix the place up. That will a to the tension especially since I doubt he will receive a warm welcome.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Ooooo...I like #2, a lot. A great opportunity to really create some pathos (is that the right word?) for the character.

I'm leaning towards the IOA installing him on Atlantis so they can use him as a puppet to carry out their agendas for the Pegasus Galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          I'm leaning towards the IOA installing him on Atlantis so they can use him as a puppet to carry out their agendas for the Pegasus Galaxy.
          yup that's what I think too
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Going by recent eps I don't think it's his choice, yeah. I think he's there as thier puppet and may well start to see things differently once he's more than just an occasional visitor.

Bonus points if he has a framed photo of Jeri Ryan on his desk.

Comment

I hadn't thought of #2... I think that's very interesting. To see him work very hard to earn the respect of the members of the team would make for some good TV. Especially since it'd take Ronon forever to like him.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                I hadn't thought of #2... I think that's very interesting. To see him work very hard to earn the respect of the members of the team would make for some good TV. Especially since it'd take Ronon forever to like him.
                Yeah maybey he can spar with Ronon.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I will go with the IOA wants him to fail theory. That sounds feasible with his history.
                  Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I am gonna go with PG15s idea - forced into the position to be the sock puppet of the IOA. Its the Air Force that wont object only because they want the IOA to see him fail and realise that they are sticking their noses too far into this stuff and it could cost them their heads.

I don't think he would want to Lead Atlantis at all.

I wonder though... Will there be tension between he and Caldwell, or was usurping command of Atlantis only the Goa'uld's goal?
                    : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                    : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

I think the IOA intends to make him a puppet, or at least have a commander more sympathetic to their view. Eventually he'll go his own way and grow as a leader and as a character.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                        yup that's what I think too
                        I like that thinking, though hopefully he'll assert his independence. He's no longer just an IOA investigator or, if you will, pencil-pushing lackey. He's in charge. I'm confident that maybe after a week or two we'll see him begin to subscribe to the thinking that, "What do they know about how Pegasus works when they're sitting in complete safety on Earth?"

Comment

I fear the assimilation process will not work very well on a holgra...What's that? Wrong show? Sorry...

Comment

Here's my personal theory.

I think something will happen in Search & Rescue where Carter is ordered to do something or not do something...but she knows that if she follows that directive, it would put her people in danger (either members of her team or random people in the Pegasus Galaxy or both)...maybe even put lives at risk. She has a LONG history of bucking bureaucracy when lives are on the line and doesn't care a whit about the politics involved...only that it's her responsibility to take care of people under her care. So she of course gives the IOA the virtual finger and does what she knows is right...thus protecting innocents/saving lives.

However, it's something the IOA can't allow to pass and still save face. So while she's being thanked for saving people, she's given the boot...by Richard Woolsey, who's representing the interests of the IOA. He respects her decision but has no choice than to do what he's told. What's worse, he learns he'll be taking her place...which makes him persona non grata on Atlantis for taking the job of a popular leader...especially after the trouble he gave Liz.

So he comes in unwillingly and is put in the unenviable position of taking charge of people who resent him. A lot.

Now depending on how this plays out, he could be considered the underdog who has to prove himself, to not only himself but to the people under his command. (On a side note, I was pulling for the underdog this past weekend, and lookie there...the Giants won! )

Woolsey will also learn what it's really like to be in charge and will see first hand what problems IOA meddling can cause. He'll have an uphill battle earning the respect of his people and I think will experience a lot of character growth in the interim. So will the team.

But eventually, hopefully, he'll learn the ropes, his team won't resent the heck out of him and he'll become a better, more rounded character to boot.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I think the character will have to be handled initially like the the ep in SG1 where he and IOA reps went to the Alpha site, very red tape, but bend the rules for me.

Hopefully he'll grow some balls and be like in Inauguration, what will be interesting is if at some point his character gains the respect of the Atlantis crew.

It's a gutsy choice by TPTB.

Comment

Working...
                              X