• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Constant (405)

LOST SEASON FOUR
    THE CONSTANT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 405

A turbulent trip back to the freighter causes Desmond to flash back in time, but when he returns he has no memory of his years on the island. With help from Sayid and Daniel, Desmond must discover what is happening to him before his brain can't take any more.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 28 February 2008, 06:16 PM.

Lost is going Sci-Fi

Comment

That was awesome... nice to finally get a Desmond episode. I was hoping that he'd tell Penny more thus explaining a few more things, but, this is good too.
      sigpic

Comment

That it is, and I loved it.

Desmond is by far the best character Lost has at their disposal (or at least one of them). So far all of his episodes (in my memory) have been knockouts, this one included. Not to mention, Daniel Faraday intrigues me more and more each episode. This one was hard to wrap my mind around, but in the end it's all understandable. Great acting by HIC.

As for the note in Faraday's notebook, I'm not sure if he wrote it himself and is currently going through the same experience, or if Penny and/or Charles are somehow involved. One of the three names Desmond as their "constant," very interesting indeed.
        Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
        Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
        Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
        Stargate Destiny, Fan
        Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

My favorite episode this season! I loved the bit when he puts on the radiation thing and Desmond asks Shouldn't you put one on your head.... lol so funny Both of these two characters became very interesting to me I never really loved Desmond all that much but he severely grew on me in this episode. I loved every minute of it! Very beautiful ending he had with that phone call. So sad and sweet.

Comment

Without a doubt, one of the best episodes Lost has done. Desmond has always been one of my favorites, but now I have to say he's definitely at the top of my list. Lots of characters on the show have something that drives them. Jack is obsessed with looking out for people and Locke is driven to learn the Island's secrets and to protect it; Ben too to a certain extent. But what drives Desmond his love for Penny. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic, but that really touched me while I was watching "The Constant." Desmond and Penny's reunion was beautifully executed and very satisfying. I do hope that he manages to get off the Island somehow to be with her or that she makes it there to be with him.

Charles Widmore's bidding on the Black Rock diary is intriguing, as was Dan's note about Desmond being his constant. The ominous tone of the music when it revealed Dan's note seems to indicate that Dan counts on something "going wrong." I believe that has to do with the next episode (Possible spoilers!):
            Spoiler:
            The preview seems to depict Dan and Charlotte in a DHARMA station. I believe that it's the Orchid station, a station spoilers have indicated that Juliet has visited before and given that the next episode is Juliet-centric...
            I was sad to see Minkowski go so soon, especially since there was so much buildup with him being the voice on the end of the phone for so long.

Overall though, **** stars, no question.
            Spoiler:
            Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Comment

Best episode of Lost I have ever seen.
              I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, literally.
              When Desmond was on the phone at the end... I nearly exploded.

Ohh, and the Black Rock diary was owned by Alvar Hanso! I bet thats how Dharma found the Island originally.

Is Charles Widmore, the current owner of the diary, involved with the Freighter people?
              Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidKal View Post
                Ohh, and the Black Rock diary was owned by Alvar Hanso! I bet thats how Dharma found the Island originally.

Is Charles Widmore, the current owner of the diary, involved with the Freighter people?
                Charles Widmore bought the diary in 1996. The Dharma Initiative was founded in the late '60s.

It seems like the freighter folks are at least aware of who Penny Widmore is, so it stands to reason that they know who her father is, possibly more than they know her.
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by memnarch View Post
                  Charles Widmore bought the diary in 1996. The Dharma Initiative was founded in the late '60s.
                  Ahhh, yeah, I realize that . I wasn't linking Widmore with DHARMA.
                  I was excited about who owned the diary before Widmore. Alvar Hanso!

The Hanso Foundation, founded by Alvar Hanso, financed the DHARMA Initiative. Clearly they found the Island via the diary. So it must hold some kind of key to finding its location.

And now Charles Widmore has the diary (as of 1996) and I'm suggesting that perhaps its through him, either directly or indirectly, that the Freighter people have found the Island in 2004.
                  Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Comment

Superb!! Absolutely a blast!

This episode... just...wow. The pieces start moving, and the season begins to take a sexy shape. This is the FIRST episode of the entire series where any of the Oceanic survivors is officially 'off' the island and back in the normal flow of time and space. Also, incredibly, a flashback taking place RIGHT NOW! Get your heads around that one.

If Locke ever leaves the island, then I imagine he might experience the same temporal entropy effect that Desmond and Minkowski did. Interesting. Also, there was a not so subtle hint that a certain someone may be aboard the ship helping Sayid and Desmond. I'm pretty sure I have a good idea who it is...

Desmond and Penny's telephone reunion had me in tears! Touching, just touching.

This season truly is shaping up to be a knockout. Let's see the next episode hit another home run.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ive always loved desmond especially because he is also scottish and a celtic fan but this episode was just awesome

Comment

Fantastic episode! Good to experience those "ohmygoshwhatjusthappened?!?!!" moments again. And Desmond's reunion over the phone with Penny was very heartwarming. Awwww!

sig by Pandora's_Box

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidKal View Post
                          Ahhh, yeah, I realize that . I wasn't linking Widmore with DHARMA.
                          I was excited about who owned the diary before Widmore. Alvar Hanso!

The Hanso Foundation, founded by Alvar Hanso, financed the DHARMA Initiative. Clearly they found the Island via the diary. So it must hold some kind of key to finding its location.

And now Charles Widmore has the diary (as of 1996) and I'm suggesting that perhaps its through him, either directly or indirectly, that the Freighter people have found the Island in 2004.
                          Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that. Especially since (possible major spoilerage:
                          Spoiler:
                          Charles Widmore is credited in next week's episode, which is a Juliet flashback taking place entirely on Island. It seems likely that if he isn't connected to the freighter folks, that he's connected to the Island in some way.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

best episode

Comment

Originally posted by memnarch View Post
                              Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that. Especially since (possible major spoilerage:
                              Spoiler:
                              Charles Widmore is credited in next week's episode, which is a Juliet flashback taking place entirely on Island. It seems likely that if he isn't connected to the freighter folks, that he's connected to the Island in some way.
                              OOOooooh!
                              Excellent.
                              Can't wait for next week!

This season is so awesome, I haven't had this much impatience for the next episode since late season 2

Comment

Working...
                              X