No announcement yet.

The Beginning of the End (401)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overall 4'1 The Beginning of the End was good imo. Not as great as i was hoping though.

Seems that they are continuing with the forward flashes. Wonder if it will continue all season?...

Main thing that interested me was Hurley revealing the The Oceanic 6. So there is 3 people who made it back that we are yet to find out about. Unless they count the funeral, so that would leave 2.

Surprised Jack pulled the trigger on Locke.

Thought they handled the whole Charlie's death nicely, and all separating at the end.
    Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

A strong start to the season that cleverly sets up what is to come! I was also surprised that Hurley was the focus of the episode, effectively throwing the character into a more pivotal storyline than previous centric episodes 'Everybody Hates Hugo', 'Dave', and 'Tricia Tanaka is Dead'. What I like is that having a character we know is going to leave the island choose to side with Locke allows us to play out in our head all the possible characters that will make up the "Oceanic 6".

Of course, as many of you have pointed out, Jack's behaviour towards Locke at the cockpit only served to damage our opinions of the good doctor. Certainly everyone was right in being upset at Locke for destroying the submarine, but Jack's childish tantrum and clear desire to kill dealt a major blow to the group's faith in their leader.

Why didn't Desmond go with Locke? I thought for sure. Perhaps eventually.

Intriguing is the Island's apparent ability to reach out to people far away from it, as we saw and deduced was happening to Hurley. Obviously, those left on the island need for the 6 to return to the island for unknown reasons. Hmmm....

The man in the hut with Jacob did not look like Locke. I think it was Mikhail!

Well, bottom line, this is gonna get juicy!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post
        The man in the hut with Jacob did not look like Locke. I think it was Mikhail!
        It might have been Jakob, because Jakob wasn't the one in the rocking chair.

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
          So, is the flash forward one of many possible futures? Or is it the same future as last season's finale only at a different point in the timeline?
          All flashforwards are set before flashforward from 322...

Comment

mikhail is dead.(finally)
            damon & carlton have said so.

Comment

While I enjoyed this ep and look forward to the rest of the abbreviated season, I felt it was a weaker season opener than last years. The shot of the Others seeing the place go down and the ensuing dispersal of people is one of my favorite scenes. That aside, the Losties splitting up was unexpected, and it was interesting to see who went with who.

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

A slow start, action-wise, but it is Lost after all. However, it was jam-packed full of information, character interactions and twists.

Logically, we continue on from where Season 3 left off. With so much going down, we needed this episode to allow for debate to occur over the implications of Charlie's message before actually encountering the new guys.

Poor poor Hurley, his grip on reality is even more tenuous than usual. I love that viewers have accepted that the supernatural element of the show to the point where noone thinks for a second that Hurley might be nuts. However, Hurley has to feel like he is crazy and it's painful to see him this way.

Interesting turn that Jacob has reached out to Hurley, Jacob's reputation for creating freaky scenes is well and truly intact.

Another interesting contrast is that Locke is presenting himself as the Man of Reason and role reversed Jack as Man of Faith. Jack wants to believe that this rescue is legit, but Locke used reasonable arguments to put his case forward. However, don't think for a second that Locke isn't intending to follow the Island's orders, when/if he receives them. Locke played Jack well with the unloaded gun, manipulating Hurley and the others. Locke is becoming the new Ben and he now has his own little band of followers. Of course, Sawyer will not put up with any crazy shenanigans and he is emerging as a new potential leader.

Naomi's death was sensibly extended into this episode, and the mystery about her remains. She knew Desmond would be on the island, recognised him and even had his photo. But she also lied about her purpose. I suspect that she is connected to the Widmores, but is working for Charles and not Penny.

The future storyline is starting to be revealed, piece-by-piece. Hurley's takes place before Jack's, as noted by both Jack's lack of beard and their talk about beards (hilarious, by the way). More importantly, when Ana-Lucia's friend asked Hurley about her, there was no mention of the Island. Oceanic 6 heavily implies that only 6 people have made it back. It's become clear that either they have a pact amongst themselves or someone else doesn't want them to talk about the Island.

On the Oceanic 6, Kate's status may give the lie to the title. We know she is living free in the future, despite her incredible guilt, and Jack really struggled to contact her. This suggests she may still be a fugitive. However, it's unlikely that she could be a celebrity rescuee and not be arrested. So, she could be a secret addition to the "6", making them actually 7 or more.

Also, we now have rescuees on both sides of the Losties divide, yet Hurley's apology to Jack clearly implies that this episode was a turning point for some very bad things. The details and conditions of Rescue remain unclear, and Lost remains awesome.

Comment

Good episode over all.

I have to side with Jack in that getting of the island should be the main focus. However it would seem that the logical choice for people would be to remain on the island while the first people were rescued and simply ask them to send another rescue party later should everything turn out ok. This way you either get rescued or escape from being slaughtered by these people should they turn out to be the "bad guys".

I like the flash forwards, they shake things up nicely and will hopefully not give to much away to those of us who obsessively read into things

I agree with the previous poster about Kate, I was very surprised to see her side with Jack and getting rescued since I figured she of all people would want to stay on the island (beats live in prison). If however she is pregnant it would make sense for her to want of the island (even if abortion seems like a better choice to me).

My personal guess on who the Oceanic 6 are: Jack, Hurly, Sawyer, Sayid, Sun & Jin based on nothing but a wild guess

Comment

Desmond and Sayid went with Jack only cause someone on that boat knows Desmond.. wether its Charles Widmore.. he wants to find out.. they came for him.. so hes gonna go with Jack.. Sayid went cause he wants to know the boat peoples purpose.. he believed Charlie and Desmond.. but he wants to know why they really are there.. I want to know what Ben is gonna do now that hes with Locke... hmmmm we'll see..

Comment

Nice start to the season no flashbacks just forwards i wonder if they will be any flash backs this season
                      Man this show is confusing
                      sigpic
                      Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                      Metal gear fan

Comment

i am really like the flash forwards...

Comment

Working...
                        X