• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beginning of the End (401)

Visit the Episode GuideLOST SEASON FOUR
    THE BEGINNING OF THE END
    EPISODE NUMBER - 401

The survivors of Flight 815 find new hope of rescue when they successfully contact a boat offshore. But their rescuers may have their own ulterior motives in finding the island.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >

Hurley episode ftw!!

Great opener. Awesome use of the flash forwards - especially at a different flashed forward time.

christian shepard in jacob's chair.

locke hanging out with him. wonder what they were talkin about.

also, wtf Jack, pulling the trigger on Locke. wow. ballsy.

Comment

I thought it was a bit slow moving. But good overall. I wish it would have had more though after a near year hiatus

Comment

I agree that I kind of expected more after 8 or so months off the air. I didn't have high hopes going into this episode, mostly because of my great reservations about the whole flash forward thing. My main objection to them is that the flashbacks were created to show information about the characters' pasts and thus revealing why they act the way they do, what they might be trying to overcome or escape, and to reveal connections. Now, it seems to be reversed, in that the present time on the Island is doing that for the flashforwards. And the fact that only a few people made it off the Island? I just don't buy it.

Anyway, enough of my bitterness! The actual episode itself offered some interesting surprises which I have to say I enjoyed. The fact that it was a Hurley episode immediately makes me like it, even if it is a flashforward. I loved Jorge Garcia's performance in this episode. He did such a great job. I loved that Hurley was the one to tell Claire about Charlie. I totally saw it coming, but it was heart wrenching and touching nonetheless. I don't know about anyone else, but I no longer care for Jack. He's a complete a-hole and I have no idea why people are still listening to him. I mean, the fact that Ben wants to go with Locke (the man he shot and left in a pit) rather than Jack really speaks to the kind of jerk Jack is. Of course, Ben could realize that Locke is less likely to take revenge on him than Jack, but still.

The fact that the Island (or maybe the Monster?) seems to be trying to call Hurley back seems monumentally significant, especially since it appeared to him in Charlie's form and that Hurley appeared to be able to shut out its presence. This makes me wonder if bearded Jack had a similar experience to make him want to go back. It's also interesting that Hurley appeared to see Jacob, or Locke (?) in the cabin with Christian Sheppard (who, by the way, the producers promised was dead...I really don't like them right now either...)

Anyway, overall, I'd have to say either **1/2 stars with *** stars in all Hurley related events.
        Spoiler:
        Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Comment

I was amazed that only 6 got off the island.

And did anyone understand what the black guy said to Hugo? He said something like "Are they still alive" or "Is Li still alive". I don't have tivo, so I couldn't go back and hear what he said.

I was getting pissed when everyone stood back and let Jack beat Locke and PULL THE TRIGGER. At this point, those on the beach knew that Locke was right after all with what Charlie "said". They should have stopped Jack but they just stood back and let him do it. What if the gun was loaded? Then Jack would have just killed Locke for being right!

And when Jack visited Hugo, he was wearing a suit much like the one the black guy was wearing, I thought maybe the Island was reaching our to Hugo but just changing the body but not the clothes.

Jack did say he just got back from a "consult", I think he is having health problems and is getting ill. This could be why he eventually wants to go back to the island so bad, he knows that the island has healing powers and wants to be cured. But I am sure there is more to it than that.

Somehow the remaining ~30 people have to either die or hide on the island somehow. I am betting on them mostly getting killed as Hugo was with the group going to the bunker. But there was a large group that was with Jack and for all we know Jack and Kate are the only ones from that group of 15 or so that survive.

Comment

great opener - but it could also be 324 u know what i mean?...right from the beginning to end...and john locke is my fav...i love this guy.
            jack is stupid. ^^
            sigpic

Comment

Pic source: DarkUFO

Comment

Wow.. that was a good episode.. I loved when Anna Lucias partner was saying if you wanna go to the nut house i can do that right now, and hes like YES PLEASE.. lol..
                It was sad at the same time, I mean he just lost his best friend. So Christian Shephard in Jacobs chair hey??? Interesting.. I wonder if thats why Jacob is invisible, cause he can take the form of whoever.. thats why he took the form of Walt in the finale of season 3. And maybe this will be Lockes way of Convincing Jack to stay or trying to.. by getting Jacob to take the form of his dad... who knows lol... only time will tell on that one.
                I loved Hurleys little speech about listing to his friend!! Very well done, but I wonder why he regrets it in the end. And Jack post island pre beard.. He seems to be in denial about wanting to go back.. he seemed so affected when Hurley said that "it" will do whatever it can to get them back.

You know the only thing I am hoping, is if Jack and Hurley are so tortured in the future and I think Kate is in denial.. or shes just being cold at the end of season 3. I just hope that the 6 who got off the island if they are so tortued, I hope in the end that they can make it back to the island and then they can all be happy.. i will not be happy if it ends with them all being so torutured about it lol..

ANDDD OH did you guys Catch that Jack NEVER said his name whenever he was talking to George.. at the end of season 3 he just said im one of the survivors of oceanic 815.. and when George called back hes like is this JACK??? so thats Interesting!!!!!!!! How did they know his name before he said it?

Comment

Originally posted by katielovesdaniel View Post
                  Wow.. that was a good episode.. I loved when Anna Lucias partner was saying if you wanna go to the nut house i can do that right now, and hes like YES PLEASE.. lol..
                  It was sad at the same time, I mean he just lost his best friend. So Christian Shephard in Jacobs chair hey??? Interesting.. I wonder if thats why Jacob is invisible, cause he can take the form of whoever.. thats why he took the form of Walt in the finale of season 3. And maybe this will be Lockes way of Convincing Jack to stay or trying to.. by getting Jacob to take the form of his dad... who knows lol... only time will tell on that one.
                  I loved Hurleys little speech about listing to his friend!! Very well done, but I wonder why he regrets it in the end. And Jack post island pre beard.. He seems to be in denial about wanting to go back.. he seemed so affected when Hurley said that "it" will do whatever it can to get them back.

You know the only thing I am hoping, is if Jack and Hurley are so tortured in the future and I think Kate is in denial.. or shes just being cold at the end of season 3. I just hope that the 6 who got off the island if they are so tortued, I hope in the end that they can make it back to the island and then they can all be happy.. i will not be happy if it ends with them all being so torutured about it lol..

ANDDD OH did you guys Catch that Jack NEVER said his name whenever he was talking to George.. at the end of season 3 he just said im one of the survivors of oceanic 815.. and when George called back hes like is this JACK??? so thats Interesting!!!!!!!! How did they know his name before he said it?
                  They probably got it of the flight manifest and their personal background and guest jack might take the leader ship role so they wanting more intelligence simply said jack to get him to confirm who they were talking to, even if was not jack, most people would of responded with their name, it a simple trick and can give you good information on who you gonna slaughter when they land on the island.

Love it when jack punch Lock, and would of love it even more if the gun was loaded to, the first death of the season would of been fun watch lock get it.

I love the surprise at the end, wondering who that bloke gonna turn out to be Charlie evil twin or long lost twin bother.

It was surprise that Noami cover for them I would not expecting that, it seem to me that she was actually good, I just got the feeling the reason the others are scared is simply because they know this time the scientists will not let them live in the woods and will probably just shoot them on spot unlike before where they just let lived in the jungle.

I did not like the fact the episode hurley centric I mean seriously after eight months of waiting I was expecting to be much more action pack and get on faster and may be answer a question or two to get people back into the series, this seems way to slow and personally first episodes on any series should never be character centric.

7/10 and cannot they like air the next episode tonight please cannot wait until next week.

Comment

wow definitely an interesting ep and a cool season premiere. I guess the flash forwards take place some time after those 6 got rescued (who are they anyway? Jack, Kate, Hurley, who are the other three?). Locke's crazy as ever and it's totally awesome! I'm not sure about Naomie's motives but since she worked for the 'bad' guys she probably didn't have anything nice in mind. ok so now we got two groups of people. it's gonna be ineteresting how some of them will meet again. and what'll happen to Ben. oh and of course the new guy, I wonder what he's up to.

all in all an interesting season premiere and I'm looking forward to next week
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Great episode. I’m going to like these flash forwards...adds to the intrigue and changes up the show a little, though I still want to see some flashbacks for Ben and Danielle. Flashbacks for the main characters have run their course.

I wasn’t expecting a great deal of answers right off the bat, but since the writers know how many episode they have left to work with, I’m hoping that they stay focused and we get a nice progression to the end of the story.

I can see Jack being so irrational to the point of pulling the trigger. (If John knew the gun wasn’t loaded, he was playing his own little mind game with Jack and possibly playing him against the others.) Jack really wants off that island (and feels it’s his duty to “shepherd” the others off the island as well) and at every turn Locke has foiled him or an attempt to be rescued. I can’t really blame him for going over the deep end and trying to shoot Locke.

While I think the people on the boat are probably “bad” (or I think they are)... I’m not totally convinced. The writers could be screwing with us by building them up as the badies only to reveal they are not. Ben and Locke don’t want off the magic island period regardless of who’s on the boat. Just because that’s not Penny’s boat doesn’t mean that the boat might have been sent by her father for some reason. *shrug*.... anyway, if I were on the island, I’d have sided with Jack cuz I want off that island too. And hey if Sayid is staying with Jack, I am too.

Besides these boat people have a helicopter. The barracks can be found and that sonic fence is not going to stop them.

As far as the “6” goes, it’s Jack, Kate, Hurley and I’m gonna go out on a limb and wonder if the promo pics for this season are some kind of indication (the one with the palm trees in the back and a city reflected in the water). If they are this one has Jack and Locke in the center with Hurley, Claire, Kate, Sayid, and Ben on Jack’s side while Sawyer, Sun, Jin, Desmond, and Juliet are on Locke’s side. Granted it makes no sense that the characters on Locke’s side would want to stay on the island (other than maybe Sawyer), but that’s all I got at the moment. Though since Desmond, Ben, and Juliet were not on the plane, they could still get off the island and not count as one of the “6”.

So if future Hurley is seeing “dead” Charlie, then I wonder if suicidal Jack is driven to that point by visions of his “dead” father. I don’t think Kate would ever want to go back because I think she was pregnant and that’s why she left in the first place.

So that was “Christian” in Jacob’s chair. So didn’t catch that. Is that why Jacob needed help?

And hey it’s the dude from “Saving Private Ryan” so he may hang around for a while.

Grrr...I hate having to wait a week and watch eps with commercials after having just rewatched the first three seasons on dvd to get ready for the new season.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

So, is the flash forward one of many possible futures? Or is it the same future as last season's finale only at a different point in the timeline? I love this show and won't miss it, but I have to admit to having no clue as to what is going on. LOL.

Also, I too am beginning to dislike Jack. He is just a little too trigger happy. I know he has no reason to trust Locke, but still.

Is it next Thursday yet?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                          So, is the flash forward one of many possible futures? Or is it the same future as last season's finale only at a different point in the timeline?
                          I think it's the same future, only this time they've been home for no longer than a few weeks maybe. remember Jack tells Hurley that the's thinking about growing a beard
                          Last edited by Jumper_One; 01 February 2008, 05:14 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                            I think it's the same future, only this time they've been home for no longer than a few weeks maybe. remember Jack tells Hurley that the's thinking about growing a beard
                            I knew there was a very good reason why I record this show because there is always so much going on, I'm bound to miss something. I think it's time go and hit the play button on my vcr.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                              I knew there was a very good reason why I record this show because there is always so much going on, I'm bound to miss something. I think it's time go and hit the play button on my vcr.
                              yeah I know what you mean. there's so much stuff going on, it's pretty easy to miss something. I'll probably rewatch it tomorrow
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X