Replicators & Asurans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replicators & Asurans

On SG-1, the Replicators were introduced as a secondary villain to visit once or twice a year so the Goa'uld weren't the only majorly powerful villains. They appeared once in Season 3, once in Season 4, twice in Season 5, and were thought to have been defeated in Season 6. Then they returned in Season 8 for five episodes culminating in their final defeat.

On Atlantis, the Asurans were introduced for the same reason the Replicators were introduced on SG-1, so Wraith wouldn't be the only powerful villains. However, where as SG-1 teased us once or twice a year and then closed the story arc with a multi-episode arc, we got five episodes in Season 3, five more episodes in Season 4 (if you count the Asuran's brief appearance in "Reunion"), and then... it's over. Well... that didn't last long. I thought they were supposed to be the new, big, bad vaillains of Atlantis? They only lasted one season. Yeah, yeah, there's Weir and her Asuran battleship, but that's a bit of a reboot, isn't it?

You have to remember certain differences between the Replicators and the Asurans first.

The Replicators were practically invincible and meant to provoke fear due to their non-humanoid forms. As such, they were supposed to be used sparingly and in big plotlines because no one else could beat them and it was near luck that they dealt with each infestation when they could. Furthermore, since they were off in another galaxy fighting the Asgard, it allowed two points one which was to give a valid reason why the Asgard weren't fighting the Goa'uld and two that it prevented the Goa'uld from fighting such a foe that they had no capacity of winning against.

The Asurans however are somewhat 'dumbed down' as they make use of starships and cannot survive in space. In direct combat then they are pretty much invulnerable as well but by this point Earth had access to anti-Replicator weapons so it made things more even. Plus, the Asurans were a foe that the Wraith could actually fight. The power disparity is much shorter compared to the Replicator versus Goa'uld one. However, despite that, being machines, the Asurans had the capacity to simply outnumber the Wraith and everyone just as the Wraith did to the Lanteans (irony there). So in order to make them more manageable, they decided to blow up Asuras but leave a faction of Asurans alive.

This way they allow the Wraith to remain dominant but still allow the Asurans to be a threat. If it cotinued, they might have struggled to keep things somewhat realistic. Because, while the Wraith were showing some good resistance against the Asuran fleet, it would have been impossible for them to match the numbers the Asurans would have been cranking out. By "This Mortal Coil" we hear 38 Aurora ships being constructed, thats more then half of the number of known Hive-Ships and, supposedly, an Aurora was capable of beating a Hive. So had things continued, the Wraith would have been defeated which would not have been a good thing as they should remain the primary enemies of the show.

Anyway, I wouldnt count the Asurans out yet... unlike the Replicators, the Asurans are very set and stagnant. The destruction of Asuras and their new 'leader' might give them the incentive to change and become a more dangerous threat, one not confined to a single world.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

I agree with not counting them out just yet ... and everything else you just said^^
      Best quotes ever:
      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
      Thor:I like the yellow ones
      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

You have to remember that season 4 has new show runners, perhaps they thought the introduction of the Asurans was a mistake and wanted rid of them.

Comment

i think the asurans storyline was a great one it made the alliences switch three times an episode and kept things really compelling and interesing however i believe that the

Spoiler:
          repli-wier leader will make things a little more interesting when they bring the story back up again

Comment

whats the difference between the MW replicators and pegasus replicators
            SG-1 members
            Atlantis Team members

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
              You have to remember certain differences between the Replicators and the Asurans first.

The Replicators were practically invincible and meant to provoke fear due to their non-humanoid forms. As such, they were supposed to be used sparingly and in big plotlines because no one else could beat them and it was near luck that they dealt with each infestation when they could. Furthermore, since they were off in another galaxy fighting the Asgard, it allowed two points one which was to give a valid reason why the Asgard weren't fighting the Goa'uld and two that it prevented the Goa'uld from fighting such a foe that they had no capacity of winning against.

The Asurans however are somewhat 'dumbed down' as they make use of starships and cannot survive in space. In direct combat then they are pretty much invulnerable as well but by this point Earth had access to anti-Replicator weapons so it made things more even. Plus, the Asurans were a foe that the Wraith could actually fight. The power disparity is much shorter compared to the Replicator versus Goa'uld one. However, despite that, being machines, the Asurans had the capacity to simply outnumber the Wraith and everyone just as the Wraith did to the Lanteans (irony there). So in order to make them more manageable, they decided to blow up Asuras but leave a faction of Asurans alive.

This way they allow the Wraith to remain dominant but still allow the Asurans to be a threat. If it cotinued, they might have struggled to keep things somewhat realistic. Because, while the Wraith were showing some good resistance against the Asuran fleet, it would have been impossible for them to match the numbers the Asurans would have been cranking out. By "This Mortal Coil" we hear 38 Aurora ships being constructed, thats more then half of the number of known Hive-Ships and, supposedly, an Aurora was capable of beating a Hive. So had things continued, the Wraith would have been defeated which would not have been a good thing as they should remain the primary enemies of the show.

Anyway, I wouldnt count the Asurans out yet... unlike the Replicators, the Asurans are very set and stagnant. The destruction of Asuras and their new 'leader' might give them the incentive to change and become a more dangerous threat, one not confined to a single world.
              It was a horribly executed story arc in Season 4. If the Asurans were supposed to be a secondary enemy, why not drag the arc out to at least the end of Season 4? No, the writers wanted to move on to the Michael-hybrid arc(which lasted a mere six episodes total, not including Whispers).

The primary difference between the MW and PG replicators is culture and ability. The MW replicators are machines in every way, including how they think. They can replicate metals only. The PG replicators have a culture very reminiscent of the Ancients. They cannot replicate metals, but they can replicate organic tissue.
              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Thanks
                SG-1 members
                Atlantis Team members

Comment

Replicators of MW are more agressive: Firtst had "Napoleonian" planes about conquest of worlds - even Oberoth hadn't such plans! And generally, Asurans set in own planet calmly for 10 000 years and tkae nobody...
                  And still... Asurans have names - MW-replicators have numbers instead names (so well Asurans are like human more). Of cours Fifth was like human - but it's more like exception
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X