This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Hi-Def Releases!!!!

According to a site that shows current and future Amazon items, it shows that Firefly, SG-1 Season 1, and Atlantis Season 1 will be released on Blu-ray in the foreseeable future. I only have HD-DVD at the moment, but if they release these I will of course purchase a blu-ray player!! Attached file is a jpg photo of the site since I found nowhere else on-line mentioning these releases yet.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by from_orion View Post
    According to a site that shows current and future Amazon items, it shows that Firefly, SG-1 Season 1, and Atlantis Season 1 will be released on Blu-ray in the foreseeable future. I only have HD-DVD at the moment, but if they release these I will of course purchase a blu-ray player!! Attached file is a jpg photo of the site since I found nowhere else on-line mentioning these releases yet.
    Cool! thanks for the update

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
      Cool! thanks for the update
      No problem, and by the way those of you who are amazon users can search for these three items and have amazon notify you via e-mail when they are available.

Comment

I've been doing some checking around and I don't think it can be trusted. I can't find anything to confirm that any of those are more than just placeholders. None of them listed appear anywhere but Amazon and I can't find any source that suggests they are being done.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          I've been doing some checking around and I don't think it can be trusted. I can't find anything to confirm that any of those are more than just placeholders. None of them listed appear anywhere but Amazon and I can't find any source that suggests they are being done.
          I don't see what you mean by placeholders, it is not like registering a domain name, it is amazon, they would not create a sale page unless they were expecting them. And besides, amazon is known to mistakenly advertise items while confidentiality agreements with the media keeps them quiet. Happens quite often with new products. It would be in the studio's best interest to keep this quiet until closer to actual release to avoid hurting the season 1-10 box set sales. I for one am waiting and believe these releases are coming out. This is just one of the first hints we are lucky to have gotten ahead of time.

Comment

It's like taking preorders for an item that's not dated, instead they are creating pages for items that aren't confirmed. While I do expect shows like SGA, SG1 and potentially Firefly if they can make the conversion look well (as the sets wer never designed nor built for HD) but apparently Star Wars TV and Clone Wars 3D are taking up a lot of Lucas' time so even Star Wars Blu-Ray is a bit of a stretch.

Best to just email MGM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              It's like taking preorders for an item that's not dated, instead they are creating pages for items that aren't confirmed. While I do expect shows like SGA, SG1 and potentially Firefly if they can make the conversion look well (as the sets wer never designed nor built for HD) but apparently Star Wars TV and Clone Wars 3D are taking up a lot of Lucas' time so even Star Wars Blu-Ray is a bit of a stretch.

Best to just email MGM.
              Actually Star Wars blu-ray episodes 1-6 have been confirmed. Firefly, since it's on Universal HD, will be very easy to put on blu-ray. Showtime-era SG-1 is in the correct aspect ratio and shot on film which is easily 1920x1080 hi-def worthy. The release of these on blu-ray is inevitable, I don't see why you find it so hard to believe.

Comment

Star Wars is confirmed? I know Star Wars 1-6 were supposed to get some weird 3D version but I thought they were cancelled. As with Firefly, just because it's aired on TV in HD doesn't mean it will get a HD release. There are few channels here that air everything in HD but doesn't mean it will happen.

I don't find it hard to believe, I just don't accept it without something more than Amazon. Normally when something is going to be released, you'll get multiple sites out looking to give people more motivation to use them than someone else. I'm personally most definitely looking forward to an Atlantis Blu-Ray release but it will take more than an unproven sales page by Amazon to make me trust it.

sigpic

Comment

Great! But what about the Stargate Movies? I noticed Amazon isn't taking pre-orders for AoT in Blu-Ray. Could they possibly add that later?

Edit: Damn. I just bought Firefly in September. But I'd buy it again if I see it in Blu-ray.

Comment

Originally posted by VastlySuperiorStuff View Post
                    Great! But what about the Stargate Movies? I noticed Amazon isn't taking pre-orders for AoT in Blu-Ray. Could they possibly add that later?

Edit: Damn. I just bought Firefly in September. But I'd buy it again if I see it in Blu-ray.
                    They are certainly not going to be concurrent dvd and blu-ray releases. However it is very likely to appear in the near future, if DVD sales prove it worthy to spend the money on the much increased price of blu-ray production.

Comment

Thanks, Orion.
                      One more question- I thought that productions originally made for TV didn't necessarily get better resolution on Blu-ray, but movie-quality productions do. Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by VastlySuperiorStuff View Post
                        Thanks, Orion.
                        One more question- I thought that productions originally made for TV didn't necessarily get better resolution on Blu-ray, but movie-quality productions do. Is that true?
                        Titles such as the first season of Star Trek on HD-DVD leads me to believe that at least many older shows were filmed in a method that can be effectively rescanned at a hi-def digital resolution.

Comment

Thanks for answering my question. I guess the thing to do is just give them a try. Glad I didn't spend the money on the ten-season set.

Comment

Actually Star Wars blu-ray episodes 1-6 have been confirmed. Firefly, since it's on Universal HD, will be very easy to put on blu-ray. Showtime-era SG-1 is in the correct aspect ratio and shot on film which is easily 1920x1080 hi-def worthy. The release of these on blu-ray is inevitable, I don't see why you find it so hard to believe.
                            It's still different, if you look at the Star Wars DVD release the swamp on Dagobah looks quite fake, on VHS it looks pretty good, it's just that you can see more than you were intended to see originally.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                              It's still different, if you look at the Star Wars DVD release the swamp on Dagobah looks quite fake, on VHS it looks pretty good, it's just that you can see more than you were intended to see originally.
                              True which is why so much money goes into remastering and redoing special effects with current technologies in hd. Anybody buy the new Blade Runner on HD-DVD or Blu-ray? Absolutely amazing looking movie!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X