Stargate Audiobooks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Audiobooks!

This is being discussed in the “Ask the Authors” thread, but I thought I’d post it here for those who don’t read that thread.

Here’s the big news as announced in issue # 20 of Stargate SG-1/Atlantis The Official Magazine! (I’ll just paraphrase the highlights.)

Big Finish Productions and MGM have partnered to produce a series of Stargate SG-1/Atlantis audiobooks.

These will be one hour long, written by our favorite authors and read by the cast themselves. Available on CD and online download.

First is “Gift of the Gods” by Sally Malcolm and read by Michael Shanks. Set in season three with Shanks doing the ‘voices’ of the whole team. This was recorded on October 29, 2007 and is due out April 2008.

Next is “Shell Game” by James Swallow and read by Claudia Black with Shanks as Daniel. Set in season ten with Vala and Daniel being the only team members.

Producer/director Sharon Gosling is in discussions with other regular cast members for future readings.

The article tells a little about the first plot and has quotes from Shanks, Malcolm and Gosling.

No word on price. Go to www.bigfinish.com

The line to purchase these forms behind me!

~ Mike

Okay, I guess I can talk about this now! (I'll cross-post this in both threads).

Big Finish Productions, known for their excellent Doctor Who, Tomorrow People, Sapphire & Steel, 2000AD and Dark Shadows audio drama series are bringing the worlds of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis to the audio realm.

The hour-long stories are a kind of halfway-house between a traditional talking book and a full-cast audio play. Each story has two actors - one lead voice, one supporting - in the same style as BF's recent Doctor Who: The Companion Chronicles series. These are all-new, original stories written specifically for audio.

More information will be up on BF's site soon; six titles (three SG-1, three SGA) have been announced for 2008. It's my understanding the plays will be available via download or on disc. There may be bonus content on the discs; but don't quote me on that.

The writers are me, Sally Malcolm (editor and writer of Fandemonium Books) and Sharon Gosling (former editor of the Stargate magazine, author of the Atlantis series guides and producer for the audios).

These are the initial release dates, but I'm not sure of how correct they are, so consider them flexible:

Stargate SG-1: Gift of the Gods by Sally Malcolm (April 30, 2008)
    Stargate Atlantis: A Necessary Evil by Sharon Gosling (May 30, 2008)
    Stargate SG-1: Shell Game by James Swallow (Jun 30, 2008)
    Stargate Atlantis: Perchance to Dream by Sally Malcom (Jul 31, 2008)
    Stargate SG-1: Pathogen by Sharon Gosling (Aug 29, 2008)
    Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point by James Swallow (Sep 30, 2008)

As mentioned elsewhere, "Gift of the Gods" is a season three story featuring Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson, with John Schwab as Major Hunter. "Shell Game" is a tenth season story with Claudia Black as Vala Mal Doran and Shanks as Jackson.

I can tell you that we've got a great spread of main cast members from both shows for this first six releases, and we don't plan on stopping there. I'm really excited to be a part of this project and I know Sally and Sharon and the team at Big Finish are going all out to make this a hit.

Out Now:
    Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
    Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
    "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Twitter

Comment

From Fandemonium author James Swallow's live journal:

http://jmswallow.livejournal.com/

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

21 December 2007 @ 12:06 pm

Stargate - The Audio Adventures

I've been keeping this under wraps for a couple of months, but now the news has broken thanks to actor Michael Shanks (see Here) and the release of issue #20 of the official Stargate Magazine.

It is with great pleasure and not a little enthusiasm, I can say that Big Finish Productions, known for their excellent Doctor Who, Tomorrow People, Sapphire & Steel, 2000AD and Dark Shadows audio drama series are bringing the worlds of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis to the audio realm - and I'm one of the writers.

More information will be up on BF's site soon; six titles (three SG-1, three Atlantis) have been announced for 2008. It's my understanding the plays will be available via download or on disc. There may be bonus content on the discs; but don't quote me on that.

**snippage**

If you'd like to know more, as mentioned there's a piece in the new Stargate Magazine - and issue #20 also features "Outsiders", an SG-1 short story by me...

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

From the Official Stargate SG1 / Atlantis Magazine, issue 20, page #9:

Stargate SG-1

Audio Books Are Go!

Big Finish Productions:

http://www.bigfinish.com/

and MGM have partnered up to produce a series of Stargate SG1/Atlantis audiobooks read by the cast themselves, and written by your favorite Stargate fiction authors! Big Finish, best known for producing classic Doctor Who audio adventures with the original cast, have commissioned a series of one hour dramas, featuring one main and one secondary character. The inaugural recording took place on October 29 at a very exclusive location in West London, attended by writer Sally Malcolm, producer/director Sharon Gosling, the Official Stargate Magazine and one Michael Shanks!

In the country for his recent Collectormania convention, Shanks was only too happy to spend a little time with long-time alter ego Daniel Jackson.

"Sally's story in incredible and it's fun for me to have Daniel Jackson kind of pop out again. I enjoyed it thoroughly and I can't believe no one has thought of it before!"

The first audiobook to be recorded was "Gift of the Gods," a Daniel-centric story involving the Goa'uld, and alternate reality and a mysterious and beautiful box.

Writer Sally Malcolm believes Daniel Jackson was the perfect choice for the first drama.

"Daniel was an obvious choice as the lead because his voice is so strong and distinctive, and because he's a historian and a chronicler of events it worked beautifully to have him tell the story. He's also a very empathetic character, so through his eyes we get to observe the feelings of all the other characters, which, hopefully, gives the story a more rounded emotional resonance."

Claudia Black has already signed on to read "Shell Game," by Stargate fiction author James Swallow, and Producer Sharon Gosling is in discussion with other Stargate regulars for future releases.

"I was so excited when Michael said he was interested in being involved. He was one of the first actors to say yes, not only to providing the lead voice for a story, but also to being a "supporting voice" in one of the other releases as well. As a results, we were able to have one story set in season three, with the "original" team (Michael's impressions of his fellow cast members are brilliant), and one set in season 10, featuring just Daniel and Vala."

Due for worldwide release in April 2008, "Gift of the Gods," will be available on CD and online download. For more information on the Stargate Audiobooks to go:

http://www.bigfinish.com/

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

PRE-ORDER from Amazon UK:

Amazon.com UK has some of these books already on pre-order status:

Stargate Sg 1 Gift of the Gods CD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stargate-Sg-...7995489&sr=8-1

or

http://tinyurl.com/2ss3d3

by Sally Malcolm (Author) 30 April 2008
          RRP: £9.99
          Price: £6.59 & eligible for Free UK delivery on orders over £15 with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
          You Save: £3.40 (34%)

Stargate Sg-1 - Shell Game

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stargate-Sg-...7995489&sr=8-2

or

http://tinyurl.com/36ztab

(Stargate Sg-1/Stargate: Atlant) (Unknown Binding) 30 Jun 2008

by James Swallow (Author)
          RRP: £9.99
          Price: £6.59 & eligible for Free UK delivery on orders over £15 with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
          You Save: £3.40 (34%)

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Fantastic news!

Comment

Audio Books 'No reading!' Michael Shanks 'Favourite actor in SG-1!'.
              Best news Ive heard all day.
              Pure.

Comment

Hi all. Thought I'd register to say hi on this, as I will be carrying out the post production and writing the music for some of these, including the first one 'Gift of the Gods'.

You probably wouldn't expect there to be much to do for an Audiobook, but as Jim has already said, they are half-way between Book & Play, so they do have sound effects and Music to enhance the experience.

I'm really excited to be involved in this, being a fan from the start, and putting on the headphones to listen to 'Daniel' put a huge grin on my face

There should be some extra stuff at the end of the discs as Jim mentioned as well, such as interviews, and maybe a bit of the music from the production.

Anyway, I encourage you all to buy into these, as they are going to be excellent if the first is anything to go by.

Looking forward to working on one of yours Jim, should I expect things blowing up............?

Cheers.
                SF Sounds - for Music & Audio Samples

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Foxon View Post
                  Hi all. Thought I'd register to say hi on this, as I will be carrying out the post production and writing the music for some of these, including the first one 'Gift of the Gods'.
                  Welcome to the forum Steve!

Hopefully you’ll be able to share some good “behind the scenes” stories with us…

Comment

You probably wouldn't expect there to be much to do for an Audiobook, but as Jim has already said, they are half-way between Book & Play, so they do have sound effects and Music to enhance the experience.

I'm really excited to be involved in this, being a fan from the start, and putting on the headphones to listen to 'Daniel' put a huge grin on my face

There should be some extra stuff at the end of the discs as Jim mentioned as well, such as interviews, and maybe a bit of the music from the production.

Anyway, I encourage you all to buy into these, as they are going to be excellent if the first is anything to go by.

Looking forward to working on one of yours Jim, should I expect things blowing up............?

Cheers.
                    Welcome aboard, Steve!

I can hardly wait to listen to "Shell Game" with Michael and Claudia Claudia Black is truly wonderful narrator, have you listened to her reading George R. R. Martin's stories or the audio play "Black Canoes" she did back in 2000 with her fellow "Farscape" colleague, Anthony Simcoe?

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes

Originally posted by Ladyinred View Post
                      Welcome aboard, Steve!

I can hardly wait to listen to "Shell Game" with Michael and Claudia Claudia Black is truly wonderful narrator, have you listened to her reading George R. R. Martin's stories or the audio play "Black Canoes" she did back in 2000 with her fellow "Farscape" colleague, Anthony Simcoe?

I'm afraid not, dare I say I never really got into Farscape.. I'm certainly looking forward to listening to that recording on that one myself as well, they have a great dynamic

Cheers.

Comment

Hey Steve, great to have you on board! And don't worry, I've got plenty for you to do, matey!

Out Now:
                        Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
                        Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
                        "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        Twitter

Comment

Howdy! Hey, you wouldn't happen to know which actors are lined up for the SGA audiobooks, would you?

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            Howdy! Hey, you wouldn't happen to know which actors are lined up for the SGA audiobooks, would you?
                            Sorry, love to tell you, but sworn to secrecy on pain of something very painful

I think it's safe to say you'll like them very much

I'm sure more info will be forthcoming soon.

Comment

Sorry, love to tell you, but sworn to secrecy on pain of something very painful

I think it's safe to say you'll like them very much

I'm sure more info will be forthcoming soon.
                              I hope that one of them will be Torri Higginson. It would be nice if she and Elizabeth Weir aren't excluded from the fun due to the recent casting changes and developments with the character.
                              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Working...
                              X