This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG Medal of Honor

Who would you give the Medal of Honor to? Did any of the characters impress you in combat to the extent that you feel he would deserve such a decoration?
    Jure

first and foremost O'Neill, Carter and Shep. but hey we're talking about people visiting other planets and galaxies and fighting species that wanna annihilate Earth. imo a lot of those people deserve such a medal
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

These guys need a completely new category of medal I think. If you've been on an SG team from the beginning of it's inception to a bunch of years later, you've probably saved entire planets time after time! Entire races of people and such things.

Medal of Honor though, Definitely Sam and Jack. IS there an equivalent civilian award that could go to Daniel and Teal'c? Because if anyone should be awarded something, it's those four before anyone.
      sigpic Heliosphere- multi-shipper, multi-thunker

Comment

Originally posted by heliosphere View Post
        These guys need a completely new category of medal I think. If you've been on an SG team from the beginning of it's inception to a bunch of years later, you've probably saved entire planets time after time! Entire races of people and such things.

Medal of Honor though, Definitely Sam and Jack. IS there an equivalent civilian award that could go to Daniel and Teal'c? Because if anyone should be awarded something, it's those four before anyone.
        Don't forget Hammond, Landry, Vala, Mitchell, and Jonas. They've all done a lot to protect this and other planets, too.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          Don't forget Hammond, Landry, Vala, Mitchell, and Jonas. They've all done a lot to protect this and other planets, too.
          After a while, sure. But if the four from the first season have to wait 11 years to earn theirs, I think the others need to wait a bit too.

But maybe that's where an alternative medal could be awarded, so that newer members and members with a shorter period of time with them could also get some sort of award.

I saw a discussion once once say that Daniel and Teal'c wouldn't want or need an award because they did things for different reasons than recognition. I'm sure if they had a huge old award ceremony and awarded everyone but them, they'd feel a tad left out.
          sigpic Heliosphere- multi-shipper, multi-thunker

Comment

I didn't forget them but they can't get it since they're not part of the military. I agree with heliosphere, an equal medal for civilian accomplishments would be appropriate

EDIT: except for Hammond, Landry and Mitchell of course
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
              I didn't forget them but they can't get it since they're not part of the military. I agree with heliosphere, an equal medal for civilian accomplishments would be appropriate

EDIT: except for Hammond, Landry and Mitchell of course
              Darnit, I was JUST about to call you out for that
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

i thought you ment a stargate version of the medal of honor video games lol

Comment

Darnit, I was JUST about to call you out for that
                  well I'm glad I edited my post lol can't believe I forgot about those three

oh and @ heliosphere I don't think it matters why these people do what they do. the medal acknowledges their actions and not the reasons behind them
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree they all deserve recognition for their actions over the course of the Stargate programme, but I said Medal of Honor since it may only be assigned to a one member in a division. So of all of these characters, which ones especially stand out to you and for what actions.

The first that comes to mind to me is Major Sheppard for his actions during the Genii occupation of Atlantis. I think the writers should've given him recognition for his courage and determination under overwhelming odds. He almost singlehandedly defeated a force of 60 enemy troops while preserving the lives of expedition members. But it somehow just went unnoticed as the writers have made him so 'superhuman' that we take such actions for granted.
                    Last edited by MatroxMeteor; 20 December 2007, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heliosphere View Post
                      Either the Presidential Medal of Freedom or the Congressional Gold Medal. Only thing is, I'm not sure if those two could be awarded while the Stargate Program remains classified... (the Medal of Honor has been awarded for classified operations)
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by MatroxMeteor View Post
                        Who would you give the Medal of Honor to? Did any of the characters impress you in combat to the extent that you feel he would deserve such a decoration?
                        Jure
                        List of people who went above and beyond the call of duty in respective departments:

Earth or other military-wise:
                        O'Neill
                        Teal'c
                        Ronan
                        Mitchell
                        Sheppard

Science-wise:
                        Samantha Carter
                        Merideth Rodney McKay
                        Carson Beckett
                        Radek Zelenka
                        Jonas Quinn
                        Janet Frasier

Civilian or diplomacy-wise:
                        Daniel Jackson
                        Elizabeth Weir
                        Teyla Emagan
                        General George Hammond (for putting up with the Kinsey)
                        General Hank Landry (for putting up with the IOA)
                        StarshineRoxie
                        A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                          first and foremost O'Neill, Carter and Shep. but hey we're talking about people visiting other planets and galaxies and fighting species that wanna annihilate Earth. imo a lot of those people deserve such a medal
                          I would also through one in for Frasier postumously right now. Same with shep, Mccay and the rest of the Atlantis group.

i thought you ment a stargate version of the medal of honor video games lol
                          Actually i would not mind that one bit, just as long as it came out for the PC as well as any console..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            I would also through one in for Frasier postumously right now. Same with shep, Mccay and the rest of the Atlantis group.
                            I'm ok with Frasier but once again McKay, Zelenka and the rest of the Atlantis expedition (except for USAF and USMC) aren't in the military thus can't receive such a medal
                            sigpic

Comment

Thought it might be helpful to the discussion to have the criteria for the medal. (from medalofhonor.com)
                              "person who, while a member of the Armed Services, distinguishes himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against any enemy of The United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which The United States is not a belligerent party. The deed performed must have been one of personal bravery or self-sacrifice so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish the individual above his comrades and must have involved risk of life. Incontestable proof of the performance of service is exacted and each recommendation for award of this decoration is considered on the standard of extraordinary merit." "It must be the type of action which if not done would not leave him open to criticism, but must be done without detriment to his mission or to the command to which he is attached."

I would say Jack doing the Ancient download in Lost City would make him eligible, for example. He knew it would probably kill him, but he did it to save the planet & it was above and beyond what could be asked of him.

I would say Fraiser should get a medal but a bit below MOH. Maybe Silver Star?

Comment

Working...
                              X