This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is it they're just so good?

How is it that the crew on galactica is just so good at their jobs? (please no tigh bashing here because even if he is a drunk, when he does his job he does it well.) I mean even though the Colonial navy still trains like crazy just in case of a cylon attack, and they deal with border disputes and pirates, they still haven't fought a real war in 40 years. Training isn't the same as the real thing and yet all the crew seems to hold together and do their jobs extremely well under the circumstances. Even Adama has never commanded a battlestar in a true time of war. During the first war he was a viper jock. also the ship was going to be decomissioned. No doubt the ship itself had been on pretty light duty for several years before then and yet her crew seems the best of the best. and if they aren't the best, just how good was the rest of the fleet? so how is it that they do so well against the cylons?
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

It's A Story!!!!!
    oldcelt1

Comment

Originally posted by oldcelt1 View Post
      It's A Story!!!!!

Comment

I don't think it's a case of them being so good, I think it's more a case of them getting by by the skin of their teeth each time. The first time they actually took on a Cylon basestar they had the Pegasus along with them (in Resurrection Ship). Unless you count the basestar destroyed over Kobol in Kobol's Last Gleaming, which was only allowed to happen because the mission was being carried out by Cylon Sharon.

Most other occassions have required some serious "out of the box" thinking (Hand of God, Exodus, Part 2, etc.)

Comment

What about them seems so good to you. I'm not trying to get on you or anything I'm just wondering because I don't see it so much myself.

To me it seems more like Adama just barely holds the fleet together. If they lost him, as they almost did when Boomer shot him everything would go down the pipes in a real hurry; like it nearly did when he was out of commission for a while.

It's not like they run around blowing up Cylon baseships every week, or harbor ridiculous notions of defeating the Cylons with their one 40 year old warship. All they do is keep trying to run away, find Earth and avoid combat unless it's absolutely necessary to further that goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
            What about them seems so good to you. I'm not trying to get on you or anything I'm just wondering because I don't see it so much myself.

To me it seems more like Adama just barely holds the fleet together. If they lost him, as they almost did when Boomer shot him everything would go down the pipes in a real hurry; like it nearly did when he was out of commission for a while.

It's not like they run around blowing up Cylon baseships every week, or harbor ridiculous notions of defeating the Cylons with their one 40 year old warship. All they do is keep trying to run away, find Earth and avoid combat unless it's absolutely necessary to further that goal.
            hmmmmm..... i'm not quite sure i can really say specifically. it's more the fact that the entire crew holds together without surprisingly few problems. Starbuck has her problems, Kat and tigh have theirs, but everyone else just seems to hold together. I suppose i'm thinking more of tyrols deck gang though i'm not 100% sure why. I dunno really tinking about it, it's just the impression i get.

Comment

I probably sound like I'm quoting my drill sergeants from a few months ago but I cite simple discipline. Even in peacetime, you're still trained to work together and put the team first. I admit I know little about the new BSG, saw one episode where they were dealing with Cylon infiltrators.
              "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
              " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
              Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Originally posted by DragonGate View Post
                I probably sound like I'm quoting my drill sergeants from a few months ago but I cite simple discipline. Even in peacetime, you're still trained to work together and put the team first. I admit I know little about the new BSG, saw one episode where they were dealing with Cylon infiltrators.
                well yes but teamwork is one thing. But combat in training and combat in reality is completely different. I'm willing to bet that even the battlestars haven't been in full on capital ship to capital ship combat since the war. Or if they did then they couldn't have been against anything as powerful as a cylon basestar

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  hmmmmm..... i'm not quite sure i can really say specifically. it's more the fact that the entire crew holds together without surprisingly few problems. Starbuck has her problems, Kat and tigh have theirs, but everyone else just seems to hold together. I suppose i'm thinking more of tyrols deck gang though i'm not 100% sure why. I dunno really tinking about it, it's just the impression i get.
                  Really... everytime the show spends time to actually show mere crewmen's everyday problems, people say the show sucks bla bla, and when the show doesn't spend time to show such problems, the show doesn't make sense, etc.

Point being, every single character that got detailed for more than twenty minutes did end having problems.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    well yes but teamwork is one thing. But combat in training and combat in reality is completely different. I'm willing to bet that even the battlestars haven't been in full on capital ship to capital ship combat since the war. Or if they did then they couldn't have been against anything as powerful as a cylon basestar
                    True, but from what I know of military training, based upon what my father told me of his time in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War era, and a fairly large bit of reading of WWII era books (all the Stephen Ambrose books, George Koskimaki's Screaming Eagles Trilogy, virtually all of the Dell WWII library) a common sentiment was expressed in quite a few of the firsthand accounts of veterans interviewed for the books - the training was so intense that when they went into combat it just kicked in for them. (though in late 1944 and 1945 in the European Theater) the sheer inefficiency of the "Repple Depple" replacement system created a huge drop-off in the training due to need to rush troops to the front.

I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to assume that the battlestar crews would be pretty much considered upper-echelon troops in terms of quality, and as such, their training regimen could be comparable in terms of intensity to that of the "elite" paratrooper units of WWII such as the 101st Airborne Division - Stephen Ambrose's "Band of Brothers" does a great job of illustrating this while following one company through WWII from its inception to the end of the war. The HBO miniseries is quite good, but the book does add a lot more information.

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

Working...
                    X