This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religious Beliefs

This isn't meant to be a theological debate, but go ahead if you want to. I was at work today and for some reason or other a thought popped into my head: If you were involved with the Stargate program and discovered that an extremely advanced race of aliens, not too dissimilar from us physiologically, which I suppose is debateable, seeded life on here on Earth, and the galaxy(s) for that matter, would that alter your belief in God, whichever one that may be?

Also, after making this discovery would you be able to do your job effectively.

Personally, I would have no problem with it. I have never been the most faith driven individual, but I do respect that many are, more power to you. It has also been an idea I have had for a while, that we are a big alien experiment and they like to mess with us.

Have a nice day, now I need to put my tinfoil hat back on so they can't read my thoughts.

It wouldn't bother me. I believe in Ascension and a higher power. (And by Ascension, I don't mean some Stargate cult; I am referring to the work of Sai Baba and Dr. Joshua Stone).

I would find it interesting, but it wouldn't shatter my faith.
    Enter the Fargate...to steal intergalatic cable!

Comment

Well I believe in a higher power. I'm not deeply religious so that higher power isn't necessarily God (yet I do want to believe in God) I do consider that the higher powers could easily be aliens. In the end, it really wouldn't bother me as long as they had some form of eternal life or ascension to pass onto us.

sigpic

Comment

I've always felt the human race was seeded.

A divine force just seems... I don't know. Unfeasible.

There are just too many questions left unanswered with the "God did it." answer.

Comment

Not really since my belief intelligent design is unlikely at best is mostly supported by advanced aliens

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom6 View Post
            I've always felt the human race was seeded.

A divine force just seems... I don't know. Unfeasible.

There are just too many questions left unanswered with the "God did it." answer.
            As opposed to "the aliens did it"?

"Seeded by the aliens" is not an answer to the question of origins of life. It's a non-answer. One can simply go ahead and ask how these aliens themselves came to be.
            If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

evolved

Comment

If I were a Christian, Jew or Muslim (I'm an Atheist), it would definitely. I don't know what the Koran says but doesn't the Bible state that the world was created 5000 or so years ago?

The discovery of the Goa'uld, Ancients and the humans of the Milky Way (and Pegasus Galaxy) debunks that statement and invalidates the Bible.

Also, I'd search for an alien culture who'd been visited by God just like Earth and if I didn't find a single one, I'd question why God found it important to send messages and messengers to Earth to save us while condemning all others (since if they don't know about him, they cannot believe in him, believing instead in other deitys, and as such, be condemned to eternal damnation).

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                  If I were a Christian, Jew or Muslim (I'm an Atheist), it would definitely.
                  Being Jewish, I don't think it would.

I don't know what the Koran says but doesn't the Bible state that the world was created 5000 or so years ago?
                  Nope, it doesn't. The Bible doesn't deal with this sort of chronologies and does not provide a date for creation. The dates commonly referred to were derived by overzealous interpreters like Archbishop James Ussher. Net differences between ancient and early medieval interpretations of Biblican chronology exceed 1500 years, which should tell you all you need to know about the precision of their calculations.

The discovery of the Goa'uld, Ancients and the humans of the Milky Way (and Pegasus Galaxy) debunks that statement and invalidates the Bible.
                  Unless Adam and Eve were the first Ancients

Also, I'd search for an alien culture who'd been visited by God just like Earth and if I didn't find a single one, I'd question why God found it important to send messages and messengers to Earth to save us while condemning all others (since if they don't know about him, they cannot believe in him, believing instead in other deitys, and as such, be condemned to eternal damnation).
                  Ah, but what if you did find one?
                  If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                    Ah, but what if you did find one?
                    Then I'd question "Why Earth and that one planet and no other planet?". Unless the majority of the planets I visited had almost identical religious beliefs as one of Earth's religions, it'd practically be God giving them all a fate worse than death.

Also, I must state that I have the outmost respect for the Jewish, since you do not believe in Mission.

BTW, Stargate has debunked the Bible and the Quoran already. The Bible states that God created man in his image on Earth "X numbers of years ago". However, we know that this isn't true. The Ancients travelled from another galaxy millions of years ago and then seeded life in the Milky Way (in their image).

So unless God kinda lied to us (and was actually talking about the Ancients), Stagate cannon is that God (the Jewish, Christian and Muslim one) does not exist.

Comment

If I were a Christian, Jew or Muslim (I'm an Atheist), it would definitely. I don't know what the Koran says but doesn't the Bible state that the world was created 5000 or so years ago?

i'm more of an agnostic than an atheist, but i think the problem with the bible having accountable generations going back to adam and eve adding up to around 6000 years is probably a case of lost or abriged information, after all before the bible was ever written down it was told by word of mouth, and you get the "chinese whispers" effect, each genreation exaggerating slightly, which is why i don't believe people should take the bible literally, in fact, i really don't like it when people do.

as for your second point, it is true that it debunks the bible, if taken literally, however, if you were to think of the ancients AS God, it actually all adds up, (they seeded life, ascended ancients look like angels, they have the ability to cause virgin births, a child born of that virgin birth could well have powers such as telekinesis and healing, etc)

and your third point, i made a similar point in the "do you believe in god?" thread a while back, and on the flip side to that statement, if you were to find many cultures with exactly the same beliefs as one of the earth religions, it would completely validate that religion.

Then I'd question "Why Earth and that one planet and no other planet?". Unless the majority of the planets I visited had almost identical religious beliefs as one of Earth's religions, it'd practically be God giving them all a fate worse than death.

Also, I must state that I have the outmost respect for the Jewish, since you do not believe in Mission.

BTW, Stargate has debunked the Bible and the Quoran already. The Bible states that God created man in his image on Earth "X numbers of years ago". However, we know that this isn't true. The Ancients travelled from another galaxy millions of years ago and then seeded life in the Milky Way (in their image).

So unless God kinda lied to us (and was actually talking about the Ancients), Stagate cannon is that God (the Jewish, Christian and Muslim one) does not exist.
                      That whole statement becomes flipped if you consider that the Ancients ARE the Christian/Hebrew God/Allah
                      Spoiler:
                      Disclaimer:
                      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                      Quotes!
                      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                        as for your second point, it is true that it debunks the bible, if taken literally, however, if you were to think of the ancients AS God, it actually all adds up, (they seeded life, ascended ancients look like angels, they have the ability to cause virgin births, a child born of that virgin birth could well have powers such as telekinesis and healing, etc)
                        The thing is that it'd make no sense if the Ancients were God. Why would they, after leaving the Milky Way after using the Dakarra device to reseed Earth have their Ascended breathren swoop down and dictate religion to the peoples of Earth, especially since they knew how awfully wrong it had gone with the Ori?

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. They wouldn't pass themselves off as gods and have people worship them. Ascend Ancients do not look like angels. For one thing, they do not have wings. And they would never create an Ancientci.

Also, if we have about 2,5+ billion people (Jews, Christians and Muslims) worshipping the Ancients, wouldn't they be way too strong for the Ori to take down?

Comment

Also, if we have about 2,5+ billion people (Jews, Christians and Muslims) worshipping the Ancients, wouldn't they be way too strong for the Ori to take down?
                          we don't how many people worship the Ori in their home galaxy and in the MW. Millions? Billions? More? The one thing we do know is, if the Ori conquer MW, it would be bad for the Ancients.
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

First off, your argument is geared around the notion that anyone unaware of God is automatically condemned. This doesn't even hold true for most Christian denominations, let alone Judaism which rejects the notion of original sin entirely and allows non-believers to be counted as righteous provided they adhere to the Seven Laws of Noah (which are well within the "commonsense" morality). Second, even those subscribing to the original sin doctrine could argue that damnation only applies to the worlds where the word of God WAS revealed, as in this case one's unbelief is a result of conscious rejection rather than honest ignorance.

BTW, Stargate has debunked the Bible and the Quoran already. The Bible states that God created man in his image on Earth "X numbers of years ago".
                            I repeat: it doesn't state any such thing.

However, we know that this isn't true. The Ancients travelled from another galaxy millions of years ago and then seeded life in the Milky Way (in their image).
                            Like I said, it merely moves the creation account from Earth to elsewhere. Since the Bible doesn't exactly give a precise geographical location of Eden, it could well have been on another planet. The length of the gap between creation and the start of human history is unknown. For that matter, some interpretations contend that the objective length of Noah's Flood is likewise unknown, as the Flood was not merely a lot of water, but a redesign of the entire world from the ground up (the description of the waters from above mixing with the waters from below is a direct reversal of the line about God separating the waters above from the waters below on the second day of creation, implying that the world itself was undone and built anew. The Flood's 40 days are, in this case, subjective time measured from Noah's perspective).

Mind you, I am not trying to give definitive answers here, merely demonstrating that theological solutions could easily be proposed.

Stargate cannon? What does it shoot?

Comment

First off, your argument is geared around the notion that anyone unaware of God is automatically condemned. This doesn't even hold true for most Christian denominations, let alone Judaism which rejects the notion of original sin entirely and allows non-believers to be counted as righteous provided they adhere to the Seven Laws of Noah (which are well within the "commonsense" morality). Second, even those subscribing to the original sin doctrine could argue that damnation only applies to the worlds where the word of God WAS revealed, as in this case one's unbelief is a result of conscious rejection rather than honest ignorance.
                              Then God wouldn't be condemning them to eternal damnation. He would merely be depriving them of the chance of paradise.

I repeat: it doesn't state any such thing.
                              While the number of years is not specified, it does specifically state that God create Man in his image.

Like I said, it merely moves the creation account from Earth to elsewhere. Since the Bible doesn't exactly give a precise geographical location of Eden, it could well have been on another planet. The length of the gap between creation and the start of human history is unknown. For that matter, some interpretations contend that the objective length of Noah's Flood is likewise unknown, as the Flood was not merely a lot of water, but a redesign of the entire world from the ground up (the description of the waters from above mixing with the waters from below is a direct reversal of the line about God separating the waters above from the waters below on the second day of creation, implying that the world itself was undone and built anew. The Flood's 40 days are, in this case, subjective time measured from Noah's perspective).
                              Of course it's up to when it suits the believers to interpret words and numbers non-literally.

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." And the original Ancient planet was not called Earth.

Don't the Christian claim there can't be alien life and refer to some random verses in the Bible to back this up? As such, Creation cannot be about an alien planet since, well, there are no aliens.

Comment

Working...
                              X