Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people in other countries think of the U.S.?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been to the States twice when I was younger (one time in Orange County and another in New York City). Very nice people and way more hospitable than the usual Dane (I envy that).

That I disagree with most of the Bush administration is a different issue.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
      The Death Penalty is just wrong. Why get the easy way out and dying when they can suffer for the rest of their lives? And don't even dare to bring up the money issue about this. Cause money can be saved on so many things...
      Um...I don't think that's the point. I'd hardly call dying "the easy way out". I thought the idea of prison was to punish, and to insure a crime is never comitted again i.e. some one who's been in jail feels bad and doesn't want to go back. Granted this isn't foolproof, but if you're dead, you can't exactly make up for what you did wrong. I think the real question is: do we have the right to take a human life? (Actually, the REAL real question is, do we have the right to take any sort of sentient life, but as vegetarians are in the minority...)

Also, it'd probably cost less to get rid of a person through the chair than feeding, housing, and clothing them for the rest of their lives, but I have no proof to back this up.

Comment

Well, killing people does cost more than keeping them in jail forever (I was told this by a judge), but I think the death penalty serves a useful purpose, both as a deterent, and to ensure that those people will never commit a crime again.
        Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
          Bush is an idiot. (Nearly) Everyone in America with an IQ over 100 knows that.
          No. (Nearly) Everybody on this planet with an IQ over 10 knows that.
          sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
            Well, killing people does cost more than keeping them in jail forever (I was told this by a judge), but I think the death penalty serves a useful purpose, both as a deterent, and to ensure that those people will never commit a crime again.
            Yeah, but what about people wrongly convicted? A year later, if some new evidence is found, proving their innocence, you can't just say, "well, I'm very sorry you were wrongly convicted, let's resurrect ya!"

And who's to say it's okay to take a life anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by aligater
              Yeah, but what about people wrongly convicted? A year later, if some new evidence is found, proving their innocence, you can't just say, "well, I'm very sorry you were wrongly convicted, let's resurrect ya!"

And who's to say it's okay to take a life anyway?
              Ever since the dealth penalty reform in the '80s, not one person has ever been executed turned out to be innocent.
              Rocky

Comment

i live in the us and i feel that a lot of stuff going on right now is not quite right. i think we could be doing a better job overseas with this so called "war on terror" in iraq (whats with that) and if we hadn't bombed them in the first place, we could be doing things for the people of the u.s., anyway, thats my view, and i hope we never screw up this big again. (its not that i dont like the u.s., its just that i dont like some of the choices we've made)
                ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                  Ever since the dealth penalty reform in the '80s, not one person has ever been executed turned out to be innocent.
                  And, of course, because they haven't been proven innocent, that makes it all okay to kill them then, doesn't it?

And whether they're innocent or guilty, do you still think it's okay TO *KILL* THEM?

Comment

The real USA doesn't care what others think of us.

But we would like you to like us.

I personally don't care what the countries in the UN think, because as shown the UN is a joke and we have to fix their mistakes. The only problem is we then make misstakes on mistakes.
                    It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                      The real USA doesn't care what others think of us.

But we would like you to like us.

I personally don't care what the countries in the UN think, because as shown the UN is a joke and we have to fix their mistakes. The only problem is we then make misstakes on mistakes.
                      Um, okay, not to get all political with ya here (or racist) but just because the UN happens not to agree with the States, doesn't mean it is "a big joke". It is not the responsibility of America to "fix their mistakes" because if you happen to think that the UN's decision not to go to war with Iraq was a mistake, the U.S. did a real cr*ppy job of fixing that. Just because the world's only superpower says 'jump', the UN ain't gonna say 'how high', and that's just the way it is!

And clearly, by virtue of the fact that there's a thread on what other countires think of the U.S, they must care!

Comment

I am from the US so can't help out with the original request, but I would like to thank all who have posted, non-USers and USers. I have found all the responses very interesting and enlightening in some cases.
                        sigpic

Comment

well in england veiws are pretty mixed

on one hand were US closest allie they have good intentionsect

but there too trigger happy in most engagments were us and uk are fighting we lose more to US fire than enemy fire and the gun crime is isane whats the point in having guns it dosnt help anyone

i belive the war in iraq wa right the thing the media dont say is sadam husain killed far more civilans in the british secors than we did a year not sure about the us ones but US army isnt train for peace keeping just all out war not a good idea but thats now being fixed

one thing that gets me is the arogance i mean many americans think US is always best in every way not true at all

i dont like the pay fo education and health rule so a ritch person has more rights than a poor person

basicly i think the goverment is uter crap and needs work but it is agood country in generl (excluding the guns and goverment)
                          </rant>

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Americans Stereotypes.

Why is it we are stereotyped as stupid? I agree that some people in this country act like idiots and are ignorant, but they aren’t born that way. It has to do with the environment that you grow up in. We are ranked 17th in education, out of around 200 countries. The people you see in TV, are horrible representatives for our country. Shows like “16 and Pregnant” and “My Sweet 16”, make others see us as wasteful snobs who are unintelligent and greedy.

I believe it’s funny how other countries stereotype America as fat, but we just won the Olympics. I am from America and I have to say that, there is only a handful of obese people from where I’m from. 35.7% of Americans are obese. That is less than half. It’s sad to say that they are, and maybe it’s because of THEIR unhealthy choices, THEY are making (not America itself.) Also, a lot of people have obesity in their genes, which they have no say in.

Not all Americans are raised the way you see them. I will have to confess that some may be arrogant, but not all are. It’s horrible to have such a low perspective on something you have no idea about. The United States translate as a well put-together country, full of hardworking people. We have rights, freedom, and a say in what we want. America itself is a proud community, and it’s devastating for other nations to think less of what we are. We work for everything we have, and have barely anything handed to us. (with the exception of food)

If The United States of America is portrayed as so stupid and obese, could a 110 pound thirteen year old girl write such an article?

Comment

Thankyou.

Comment

Originally posted by hanuxox View Post
                                Americans Stereotypes.

Why is it we are stereotyped as stupid? I agree that some people in this country act like idiots and are ignorant, but they aren’t born that way. It has to do with the environment that you grow up in. We are ranked 17th in education, out of around 200 countries. The people you see in TV, are horrible representatives for our country. Shows like “16 and Pregnant” and “My Sweet 16”, make others see us as wasteful snobs who are unintelligent and greedy.

I believe it’s funny how other countries stereotype America as fat, but we just won the Olympics. I am from America and I have to say that, there is only a handful of obese people from where I’m from. 35.7% of Americans are obese. That is less than half. It’s sad to say that they are, and maybe it’s because of THEIR unhealthy choices, THEY are making (not America itself.) Also, a lot of people have obesity in their genes, which they have no say in.

Not all Americans are raised the way you see them. I will have to confess that some may be arrogant, but not all are. It’s horrible to have such a low perspective on something you have no idea about. The United States translate as a well put-together country, full of hardworking people. We have rights, freedom, and a say in what we want. America itself is a proud community, and it’s devastating for other nations to think less of what we are. We work for everything we have, and have barely anything handed to us. (with the exception of food)

If The United States of America is portrayed as so stupid and obese, could a 110 pound thirteen year old girl write such an article?
                                or how many people assume that any American who owns at least one gun is some sort of either a closet psycho or is some irresponsible idiot that doesn't know how to use it properly?
                                Last edited by mad_gater; 14 August 2012, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X