Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people in other countries think of the U.S.?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do people in other countries think of the U.S.?

hey everyone i know there are a lot of people from other nations that post here and I was wondering if i could get some help. I'm working on a paper about what other countries think of the U.S. and why, and i was wondering if I could get some opinions from some of you. Please say whatever you feel but give an explanation, "america sux" doesnt help me at all. Opinions and thoughts in regards to the current U.S. administrations and its actions/policies would be especially helpful as well as specific thoughts about George W. Bush. Also please say what country you are from as well. and don't worry about saying something to offend me as an american because i assure you that would be next to impossible . Thanks for any help anyone can give.

I'll PM you.
    Last edited by Madeleine; 05 October 2004, 06:06 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

Hello from North of your boarder.

America, well I have been to the States many times and I've found the people really nice, well at least some of the ones I've met. The first time I was in the States was back in the early '90s South Carolina, Hilton Head Island. The one thing that got me was the racial segrigation still happening, not the same levels as it was before Martin Luther King Jr did his thing. But you never saw a white person working at a McD's or other fast food resturaunt unless they were a manager. Also a lot of the service jobs were done by coloured people. But that happens here also...so yeah.

Other times I've been down I've enjoyed my stay. Triennium in 2001 at Purdue University in Indianna, and then at Creation Fest in Hershy Penn (mmm chocolate) met two very nice (and nice looking) gals from Pittsburg.

So I don't have a problem with the people, I just don't agree with your government's forgien policy. The fact that they think that they can police the world and only drive other countries to develop WMD because it's the only way to keep them off their backs, your government respects might, plan and simple. The policy to enforce democracy on other countries who haven't known such a system is rude and slightly offensive.

So in conculsion, I like the general public, I just don't like your forign policy.
      Alex :: UE Photographer @ Large
      www.alcsnet.com/urbex-milton/
      2 Cor 4:7

Comment

I'm from Australia. I like the U.S. I've been there once before, and really liked it. (Although I don't think I'd like to live there.) I don't mind the Bush administration. Sometimes you guys come across as sort of elitists, but apart from that there's no problem.

Comment

can you guarantee me I won't get dinged for my opinion, good or bad?

i think i'll pm instead. let me know if you need any more.
          Last edited by michelleb; 06 October 2004, 01:38 AM.
          Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Just disable Rep...then it doesn't matter. It's the Internet, (almost)everyone's protected by some freedom of speech or freedom of the press amendment.

I disabled rep because I really could care less what other's think of what I post. I try to be empathetic of others, and wouldn't put down mean things about other posters. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and if it's not nice, then they should just keep it to themselves, but again that's my own view.
            Alex :: UE Photographer @ Large
            www.alcsnet.com/urbex-milton/
            2 Cor 4:7

Comment

Difficult question and of course every answer is an opinion but I will tell you my opinion as someone who has been a non-American for most of their life but who is a USA citizen now.

Ouside of the USA, I think people believe that the USA believes it has more rights than any other country (rights to oil, water, energy, cheap goods) than any other nation. There is also the perception that the life of one USA citizen is worth far more than the population of entire foreign cities.

The exportation of the "War of Terror" is an example, it doesn't matter how many innocent foreigners are killed as long as USA citizens are saved. That doesn't sit very well outside of the USA.

All countries share the planet and the rest of the world isn't so happy about the USA having a disproportionate share.

Lastly, most USA citizens don't have passports and conseqently don't travel outside of the USA (as is their "right" but Hawaii is not a foreign country), consequently many USA citizens are very uninformed about other countries and other cultures (and have a President who only travels home to Texas).

The "go-it-alone" attitude is dated in the 21st Century since events in one place can effect people everywhere. People outside of the USA want to see the USA participate in organizations like the UN (on a more equal footing) and are tired of the 'one rule for the USA" and one rule for everyone else.

I have heard many times why all the fuss about Iraq (which didn't have WMDs), Iran and N. Korea when Israel has had them for years!Also the USA is the only country to have actually used the "bomb" and is still building up its stockpiles but telling everyone else "no you can't have them". It looks like a double standard.

GWB has only intensified these simmering emotions. Since I believe that "vaccination" is preferable to "treatment after the disease has taken hold," I think the leaders of USA need to get back out in to the rest of the world (and not just as a military force) and show the rest of the world that they can have a different opinion. We can also learn more about other cultures (from their representatives here if we can't travel), be more willing to learn and speak other languages (and not rely on everyone speaking American English), and show our support for the issues of other countries even if they are not Israel and/ or don't have deep oil wells.

We need to do a better PR job for ourselves. Perception is reality.

Comment

Long story short - good people. Young country, a general sense of self-belief which in itself I envy slightly.

Unfortunately said self-belief mixed in with a new sense of fear created by 9/11 is currently being manipulated by a complete *bleep* of a President.
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Quite backwards in some respects really.

I live in the UK, and when I was younger I thought America was a very open and accepting place. But to be honest it comes accross as rasist, very homophobic and theres a lot of extreme Christianity. Of course I totally accept that could be the way the media represents America. But with websites like "God Hates ****" or something, where it shows mock-up images of gay people "burning in the hell" it seems theres some truth in it.

I've been to America three times. All the people I met were nice, and I liked being there as well.

Comment

Alxe you spelled indiana wrong. not trying to be mean.
                    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
                    GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
                    M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
                    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
                    geekcode

Comment

now this individual's comments are not going to help our neighbors think positively about the US

http://olympics.reuters.com/newsArti...toryID=6444397

Bush: Iraq War Justified Despite Wrong WMD Claims
                      Thu Oct 7, 2004

Comment

Bush is an idiot. (Nearly) Everyone in America with an IQ over 100 knows that.
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, personally, I think that the road systems are excellent.

I'm less mad on the education system. I think that doing only multiple choice is a bit nuts, because in college, you don't do that, and in life, you don't do that. Also, the thing where, if you miss the exam at the end of the year, and you can't pass into the next grade is simply insane.

As far as government, guns and the media goes, I take Michael Moore's views religiously. Okay, not really, but the country'd do well not to be so gun-obsessed, so eager to believe what's on the news, and so willing to follow the government blindly. (This is what we have protests for, people!)
                          - Most Americans have no concept of what other countries are like, because the news focusses on shoot-ups and car-chases. I know a teenage girl, who said she knew loads about Ireland. I asked her to name the presedent, and she asked her friend, and the two decided we were under British law, and had a queen! (that info BTW is about 80 years out of date...)
                          - Bush went against the judement of the United Nations by making war with Iraq. I mean, alright, freeing a people is one thing, but he could have done this just as easily by sending in an asasin. It is the opinion of many Irish people, that he did it simply to distract away from the fact that he couldn't catch Osama Bin Laden.
                          -Isn't in a law is some places that every household HAS to have a gun, or something? Look at all the shootings. Look at all the CHILDREN bringing guns to school. What's the problem? Well, I think it's that there are too many guns, believe it or not.

I'm from Ireland by the way, and as far as computers go, we're like, 20 years behind America, computer education-wise. So, from that view, the U.S. is pretty advanced.

The States does have a lot of rights, but I think that, at least in some places, racism and homophobia are huge problems.
                          - African-Americans are still persecuted in some places. Some people in America still hold the opinion that they are "less", that they are bad people, or that they are all drug-dealing, unlawful people, which is complete crap in my mind. Okay, I'll admit, Ireland doesn't have a great track-record, but at least out media aren't contributing to it.
                          - I heard that as part of his election campaign, Bush promised to grant some of the requests of this particular Christian group. Not that I have any problems with this. Or, I wouldn't if it didn't mean gay marriage would be made illegal.

The death penilty is, in my opinion anyway, wrong, and way too common.

Obesity is a huge problem also, and I don't know much about what's going on to combat this, but I think nutritional courses should be taught, and information on the disadvantages of high-fat products, like meat should be made more available.

So, I suppose I don't have a totally negative view of America. It's a really advanced place, but maybe that shouldn't be an excuse to sit back and say "okay, lets leave it at that". It should be inspiration to further better its people.
                          Last edited by aligater; 09 October 2004, 02:45 PM.

Comment

The Death Penalty is just wrong. Why get the easy way out and dying when they can suffer for the rest of their lives? And don't even dare to bring up the money issue about this. Cause money can be saved on so many things...

Comment

I've actually never been to the states... Well, technically, yes when my mom was pregnant with me. My mom, my sister, and my dad were in Cleveland. They got a flat tire. My dad went and fixed it and my mom and my sister went to get some groceries. They were at the till and ran out of amercian money so my mom started putting down canadian money and the cashier said, "Oh we don't take that crap here." So she and my sister just left.

I think that the people I've talked to that are from the states are nice. Overall people nice. I think the US is a little bit too patriotic. On the news channels (MSNBC and CNN) it's just so AMERICA it gets a little annoying at times...

I don't honestly think that I would go and live in the states (no offense). Earthquakes in California, hurricanes in Florida, god knows what in god knows where and I dunno... I'd like to go to England someday and possibly live there.

I'll shut up now lol.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Working...
                              X