Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people who dont like stargate watch stargate and come to a stargate site?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why do people who dont like stargate watch stargate and come to a stargate site?

I tried searching for this but found nothing....Anyway my question is there seems to be a lot of people that come to the gateworld forums just to say how much they don’t like the show. These people or most of them liked the show at some point and now dont like it anymore for whatever reason. If they don’t like the show then why would they watch a show they dont like? If it is because they used to like it but don’t anymore then surly seeing a show that they used to like that they don’t anymore is just as worst if not worse then a show they never liked in the first place, just because they liked it once doesn't change the fact that they don’t like it anymore. So why do they waste their time a) watching a show they don’t like b) come to a site about a tv show they don’t like. Im mostly talking about the people that participate in anti season threads, because these are the people that hate the entire show and want it to end. The other anti threads are generally about a single aspect of the show that they don’t like, but don’t want it to end despite this negative of it in their view. As soon as the news was out that there was going to be a season five they start wasting there time complaining about it that there should be no season five. So why don’t they just not watch?? If they don’t go to stargate sites and don’t watch the show then they wouldn’t have to worry about how bad it is in there view. In fact it would be the same as if they had there way and it was cancelled. If they want it cancelled so they don’t have to watch it why don’t they just stop watching it, it’s the same thing. So again why do they

a) watch a show they don’t like
    b) come to a site about a tv show they don’t like.

This isn't asking why do people complain at all becuase I agree people should complain about a single aspects of the show (e.g. Beckett dying, an episode they didn't like) then that is fine and fair enough. These complaints are about aspects of the show not the show as a whole. On the other hand there are a lot of people here who hate the show as a whole and think that the show isn't worth watching anymore and it should be cancelled. Of course a lot of aspects can come together to make a show bad, but if it gets to the stage that they don’t like it at all anymore shouldn't they stop watching and coming to stargate sites if they genuinely don’t like it anymore. Its like if you have a friend and then they change you stop hanging around them, you don't want to hang around that person anymore so why should a tv show be any different. If that friend had one or two things you didn’t like about them it wouldn’t matter that much but if you don’t like them at all you wouldn’t spend time on them anymore, and yet people spend time on a show they don’t like at all.
    Last edited by redrama9; 26 October 2007, 05:57 AM.

So you have something to start threads about.

We're only trying to help, really.

The truth is there are a lot of people here who started watching stargate when it was SG-1 season 1 and are feeling less than totally awesome about what the show's been like these last few years.

Some of us still watch it because the only other "sci-fi" out there these days is about people hunting ghosts or battling monsters with karate, sometimes as monsters with karate.

Comment

lol

Comment

well i have watched stargate from the very beginning including the movie and then staight to the first ep and i have to say it is still as good as ever ( hand on heart) as for the people who watch it and criticise it then they are just plain weird and do not understand the magic and joy that stargate is.( take hand off heart).
        daedalus 15

Comment

try looking here
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=48129

Comment

I suppose it all comes down to the very human need to be heard and to know that you are not alone in your hatred of what Stargate has become.

There are things that have happened over the years that I have completely hated (Tok'ra Barbie, Lucius Lavin, death of Jacob Carter, death of Beckett), and things that have gotten a little old (Apophis repeatedly coming back from the dead, beaming as an unexpected Deus Ex Machina), but there have been lots more things that I have really liked (Replicators, Daniel's ascension, Prommy, RepliCarter, Asgard storyline, et al).

Its all about the balance between what the viewer perceives to positive changes and negative ones.

Some people see Weir leaving as a negative, I see it as a plus.
            Some believe the show can't survive without Lucius Lavin, I want to staple his face to a hot air balloon and set it free.

Personally, if I don't like a show anymore, I stop watching and completely remove myself from the show's fandom while only occasionally popping into see if it has got any better (character x has died, character y has returned, character z's baby wasn't character d's).

Some people just like to be vocal about their opinions. And lets face it, theses boards wouldn't be half as entertaining if they were full of people who loved every aspect of Stargate and couldn't bring themselves to criticise the show. Its the antis that make discussion fun!

On a slightly OT note, does anyone else think that Earth:Final Conflict really bombed when they killed almost the entire cast and brought in the Atavus?

Comment

Originally posted by dedalus15 View Post
              as for the people who watch it and criticise it then they are just plain weird and do not understand the magic and joy that stargate is.( take hand off heart).
              Everyone has different ideas of what 'magic' is. The main reason why I'm watching Season 4 is to learn more about Wraith because I find them far more interesting than most of the humans.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shrap View Post
                i didn't see that one, but i don’t agree with ttat person anyway. I think that people can complain and maybe even should about things that they don't like. That thread was about why people complain at all. If people complain about a single aspects of the show (e.g. Beckett dying, an episode they didn't like) then that is fine and fair enough. These complaints are about aspects of the show not the show as a whole. On the other hand there are a lot of people here who hate the show as a whole and think that the show isn't worth watching anymore and it should be cancelled. Of course a lot of aspects can come together to make a show bad, but if it gets to the stage that they don’t like it at all anymore shouldn't they stop watching and coming to stargate sites if they genuinely don’t like it anymore. Its like if you have a friend and then they change you stop hanging around them, you don't want to hang around that person anymore so why should a tv show be any different. If that friend had one or two things you didn’t like about them it wouldn’t matter that much but if you don’t like them at all you wouldn’t spend time on them anymore, and yet people spend time on a show they don’t like at all.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                  I suppose it all comes down to the very human need to be heard and to know that you are not alone in your hatred of what Stargate has become.

There are things that have happened over the years that I have completely hated (Tok'ra Barbie, Lucius Lavin, death of Jacob Carter, death of Beckett), and things that have gotten a little old (Apophis repeatedly coming back from the dead, beaming as an unexpected Deus Ex Machina), but there have been lots more things that I have really liked (Replicators, Daniel's ascension, Prommy, RepliCarter, Asgard storyline, et al).

Its all about the balance between what the viewer perceives to positive changes and negative ones.

Some people see Weir leaving as a negative, I see it as a plus.
                  Some believe the show can't survive without Lucius Lavin, I want to staple his face to a hot air balloon and set it free.

It seems we think about the same that what's negative and what's positive for the show. Excpet that Daniel's ascensions was more of a funny thing than a good one after all the dieings(how do you write this?).
                  I like balance, it's a good thing to have. I have a few things that I don't like in both of the show(well, the whole 9th and 10th season for example), and I give my thoughts about that at the forums, but start an anti thread just in the minute when the news come out about the next season, when you heard nothing about it yet? In my opinion, one can say something wrong about a season after one watched it. Just my two cents.
                  Originally posted by redrama9 View Post
                  I tried searching for this but found nothing....Anyway my question is there seems to be a lot of people that come to the gateworld forums just to say how much they don’t like the show. These people or most of them liked the show at some point and now dont like it anymore for whatever reason. If they don’t like the show then why would they watch a show they dont like? If it is because they used to like it but don’t anymore then surly seeing a show that they used to like that they don’t anymore is just as worst if not worse then a show they never liked in the first place, just because they liked it once doesn't change the fact that they don’t like it anymore. So why do they waste their time a) watching a show they don’t like b) come to a site about a tv show they don’t like. Im mostly talking about the people that participate in anti season threads, because these are the people that hate the entire show and want it to end. The other anti threads are generally about a single aspect of the show that they don’t like, but don’t want it to end despite this negative of it in their view. As soon as the news was out that there was going to be a season five they start wasting there time complaining about it that there should be no season five. So why don’t they just not watch?? If they don’t go to stargate sites and don’t watch the show then they wouldn’t have to worry about how bad it is in there view. In fact it would be the same as if they had there way and it was cancelled. If they want it cancelled so they don’t have to watch it why don’t they just stop watching it, it’s the same thing. So again why do they

a) watch a show they don’t like
                  b) come to a site about a tv show they don’t like.
                  I absolutely agree wiht you, I don't understand them either. I'm not a tipical fan of the sg franchise nowday as I was a few years before, but I still enjoy the show more or less. It seems that the antis bring up every little mistake they can find to say the truth is at their side, but it's soo childish, like teenagers
                  'One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
                  One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them'

SGA fanfiction I'm translating to english. It's a novel!

Comment

They do it so they can complain about something.

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
                    Oh no one believes that.
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                      Oh no one believes that.
                      I agree. please no more Lucius episodes!
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Let's see...

Why are people who don't like the show even here?

Why complain about Stargate?

And for all that you claim that this thread is meant to be different, I'm hearing the same negativity.

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                        You don't like the show, so instead of not watching it and spending your time watching and doing things you DO like. You go onto the forum for the show, and spend countless hours, avidly trying to get the show canned.
                        Originally posted by redrama9 View Post
                        So why do they waste their time a) watching a show they don’t like b) come to a site about a tv show they don’t like. Im mostly talking about the people that participate in anti season threads, because these are the people that hate the entire show and want it to end.
                        Seems pretty much the same, for all that you're graciously allowing people to complain about certain aspects.

As for the "wasting time" insult, the same could be said about people who love the show: why do they waste their time spending hours upon hours talking about some piece of televised fiction?

Comment

Because some people enjoy feeding negativity. They don't like something, so they gather with others to ***** and feel empowered and "right," because they aren't the only ones *****ing.

I've seen this kind of crap in other fandoms, as well as interpersonal relationships. It's schadenfreude, satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune. They justify their hatred by continually pointing out their subject's flaws. Like it proves anything. I think it comes from low self-esteem or poor self-image, at least in one part of their lives.

Also, there is an immature "I want it my way now!" tantrum aspect of this behavior. Normal, calm, otherwise mature people start acting like a two-year-old when something important to them doesn't go exactly the way they want. They feel a loss of control, because they don't run the show (literally or figuratively), so instead of moving on or finding positive things to concentrate on, they ***** and moan and continue to feed a very dark part of their souls.

It's like the Dark Side. Feeding their hate feels good for a while, but ultimately, it causes stress, anger, and self-loathing. They keep trying to feel the initial high, but all they do is spiral down into chaos.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                          O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Since there are already more than one thread on this very topic and since people have been so kind as to post the links I'm going to go ahead and close this one.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                            X