Satedan fight scene at end of Reunion - general appreciation and ramblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satedan fight scene at end of Reunion - general appreciation and ramblings

I thought the fight scene at the end of Reunion the best in SGA so far, I thinkit showed more of Ronan's character than all the perplexed looks and great dialogue so far. He is clearly at odds for some reason with the majority of his Satedan soldier buddies, from what we had glimpsed of them in other episodes they all seem disreputable but he is very different from them, hmm, maybe to do with training or something? Either way...

I liked how totally beleivable the anguish was when he founf out they were wraith worshippers but loved that there was not a moment of doubt as to what would happen. JM did a great job of portraying how quickly the aggression in him wound up and I loved the pacing, the quick gasps as he threatened them, and how eager and pleased he seemed when they wanted to fight, that was original Ronan coming through but cooled by the obvious upset, it was just great.

I liked that he did the maori slap at the start, nothing like character continuity. It adds a flavour to him which compliments what everyone knows, that he spend years running so must have learned and adapted a fighting style into his own. Excellent choreography. There is always lots of 'wooo Ronan gets his ass kicked' on the forum but if you look at it, yeah he can take on wraith and is an awesome fighter but they make him very human by actually having him get his licks in a lot of fights. He took them all on but he got hurt, it made it real. This one was great though, the rage was clear, the control just awesome, and the bits when he was taking the kick and punches and not flinching, it was quite chilling to watch. At one stage he kicks the bloke backward but doesn't recoil himself, that sort of thing takes incredibly strength and I cheered. I love a good hand to hand fight scene and JM always delivers, three on one, confined quarters...
    The end did it for me though, by not killing the last guy, that was the when I got the feeling he was sealing his past.

Mark Dacascos is awesome. The way they ended the scene with him leaving means he could come back any time. I really hope it happens.
    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

i wished that he woulda killed that guy. because it would have been more fun to watch. that fight was wkd though i loved it!!
      sigpic
      [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

I hated the fight scene, not because of the scene itself but because of the way it was filmed.

Like many fight scenes on TV and in movies, they suddenly switched to a slower framerate/went into slow motion. This is supposedly "more dramatic" and "cooler". What it is is annoying on the eyes and headache-inducing. Also, certain movements will be harder to perceive since they're skipping certain frames.

Meanwhile, they didn't do this for the John vs. evil!John fight scene (probably because there were no knives in that scene, so they didn't have to film the scene in slow motion and speed it up).

Comment

I hated the fight scene, not because of the scene itself but because of the way it was filmed.
          I second that

My problem with it was, that they had choosen the wrongest place in the world to shoot a spectacular fight. And when you cast Mark Dacascos for this role you have something big in mind.
          But it was too dark and there wasn't enough space for more than close combat. The kicks of Tyre looked odd because of that and really out of place.
          I wish they had done the fight outside. It would have looked way cooler and they would have had more possibilities. I mean I know that since Tyre had to loose they had to cut it down, but this was just disappointing.

Oh well, I know, if you want kick ass Mark Dacascos you have to watch something else, but still....
          That's all folks.

Comment

I thought I was the only one complaining about the youtube style approach to that scene.

Comment

The fight scene was good and warrants another viewing for me. I was too focused in watching Mark Dacascos in action that I forgot what else was happening in the scene. Didn't expect a series of high kicks as his offensive moves still it worked for the scenes. After the death of the other two members, Tyre exited and his expression reflected what was in his mind, there was no turning back for what they've decided to become.
              I was hoping Tyre would be around longer unfortunately, I've snuck a peek in the spoilers and found what out what happened to Tyre when he meets the Atlantis team again. *sigh*

Comment

Yep. Momoa's perfomance in the scene itself was excellent. As soon as I heard Mark Dacascos' voice, I knew it was him and was like, Wooooo!

But yeah, if you want to see the best of Mark Dacascos' ablities watch, Only the strong, Crying Freeman and Drive!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post

Like many fight scenes on TV and in movies, they suddenly switched to a slower framerate/went into slow motion. This is supposedly "more dramatic" and "cooler". What it is is annoying on the eyes and headache-inducing. Also, certain movements will be harder to perceive since they're skipping certain frames.

Meanwhile, they didn't do this for the John vs. evil!John fight scene (probably because there were no knives in that scene, so they didn't have to film the scene in slow motion and speed it up).
                  Speed it up?? I guarantee you that no fight on Atlantis has EVER been sped up.....Only the pace and timing of the actors/stunt people involved has been sped up on the set, in real time, in real speed.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BAM View Post
                    Speed it up?? I guarantee you that no fight on Atlantis has EVER been sped up.....Only the pace and timing of the actors/stunt people involved has been sped up on the set, in real time, in real speed.
                    try watching that scene sped up 16 times..its qquite funny

Comment

I didn't like how the scene was filmed either, it could have been so amazing had it been in a better lit place. Nothing wrong with the pacing, though.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X