Clear All

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    These are the most important scifi DVD films:

Farscape : Peacekeeper Wars
    Babylon 5 : The Lost Tales
    Battlestar Galactica : Razor
    Stargate : Ark of Truth
    Stargate : Continuum

I think they postponed the movies not only because of the slowly making of CGI effects, but they didn't want to be a competition for Razor too. But with this move they lost the Christmas DVD sales factor, so I don't know whether it was a good decision.

I hope SciFi will decide about Atlantis season 5, the Universe and more DVD films at the end of October, so the US fans have only 2-3 Atlantis episode to show theirs support.
    What? Why? Huh? Why would you want the decision to be made only based on 2 or 3 episodes? Things could pick up later on and they'd miss out on it then. Or are you saying you want the series to end and not get a 5th season?

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    Right now, Stargate is effectively defined as being a TV show wether that be SG-1, Atlantis, or the upcoming Universe. The only reason why MGM is making movies is because SciFi cancelled SG-1, a show which MGM feels should have continued. Besides, you don't want to oversaturate the market. The recently cancelled SG-1, Atlantis, next year's SG-1 movies, and the in-development Universe TV show... really, isn't that enough? We all have a favorite episode or story arc that we'd like to see expanded on, but you also have to factor in real world issues that would warrant such a movie, mini-series, or TV series.
    Heck no, I want an ALL SG channel! Just kidding, or maybe I'm not. LOL! No, I don't think a mini-series would oversaturate things at all, IF it was done right. I say, do a min-series that is 4 episodes long, and have it right before the regular season starts for SGA, then another mini during the hiatus, and in the same time slot. It would help keep people familiar with the timeslot, something a little different to watch but still SG while the regular show is not on, brings in new ideas and directions they could explore thus keeping it fresh. And it would also, something you may not have thought about, keep the production crew working which would let them earn a paycheck and keep their talents in tip top shape. We all get rusty on our time off. Seriously, I've REALLY thought about it. I've even took what people on here have said into consideration. Then put everything I've learned and came up with what I think is an excellent concept. I really and honestly believe it would work, and work very well, if it was done the right way. I just don't see the SG franchise as being just a TV show or DVD movies. I want it to defy that typical definition.
    Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
    Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum are not SciFi productions, they are being made by MGM with no connections to SciFi. If they air on SciFi, it will only be because SciFi bought the airing rights like they would for any movie.
      I'm guessing he meant scifi as in Science fiction, not the channel. But I could be wrong. That's why I often use the term skiffy when refering to the channel.

Comment

The SciFi will decide about season 5 at the end of October or the beginning of November. There will be a one week long pause, so they will make announcement after 4x05 or 4x06. So the US fans should watch the next episodes, if they want new season. I am a bit sad that I don't live there, so I can't do anything.

We need new order of SG-1 DVD films too, because they can release them (the third, the fourth etc.) only in 2009!
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla View Post
          No, I don't think a mini-series would oversaturate things at all, IF it was done right. I say, do a min-series that is 4 episodes long, and have it right before the regular season starts for SGA, then another mini during the hiatus, and in the same time slot. It would help keep people familiar with the timeslot, something a little different to watch but still SG while the regular show is not on, brings in new ideas and directions they could explore thus keeping it fresh. And it would also, something you may not have thought about, keep the production crew working which would let them earn a paycheck and keep their talents in tip top shape. We all get rusty on our time off.
          I would much rather see Atlantis get an extra 2-4 episodes a year than have a between-seasons mini-series. As for keeping the production crew busy, do you really think Atlantis is the only show they work on?

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
          The SciFi will decide about season 5 at the end of October or the beginning of November. There will be a one week long pause, so they will make announcement after 4x05 or 4x06. So the US fans should watch the next episodes, if they want new season. I am a bit sad that I don't live there, so I can't do anything.
          Why would SciFi make the decission to renew the show after just five or so episodes when this season will be featuring twenty episodes? That's idiotic!

Comment

This is simple mathematic.

2007. October 12. - 4x03 Reunion
            2007. October 19. - 4x04 Doppelganger
            2007. October 26. - 4x05 Travelers

2007. November - pick-up for season 5
            2007. November-December : they begin to spin, they write the first episodes
            2007. December-2008. January: they build the new sets, they make new props, they have to make castings
            2008. February : They will begin to shot the first episodes
            2008. Junius or July : They are on holiday for 3-4 weeks.
            2008. July or September : The new premier
            2008. October : They finish the 5x20 episode.

They make an episode for 5-8 day, so in the worst case it is 20*8 = 160 day = 32 week (Monday-Friday) = 8 months, so the February-October is correct.

^ This can be used for Stargate : Universe too, so SciFi haven't got too much time to decide.
            Last edited by Platschu; 07 October 2007, 11:52 PM.
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Regardless, I still think they should wait for the season to finish before deciding to order a fifth season. What if the first five episodes are crap, then the rest is great? What if the first five episodes are great and the rest is crap?

Comment

I would much rather see Atlantis get an extra 2-4 episodes a year than have a between-seasons mini-series. As for keeping the production crew busy, do you really think Atlantis is the only show they work on?

Why would SciFi make the decission to renew the show after just five or so episodes when this season will be featuring twenty episodes? That's idiotic!
                But that is exactly what Skiffy, AKA The SciFi Channel, is doing. SGA only has a handful of episodes to earn a fifth season. And yes, we all know it is idiotic. Would you expect anything less from Skiffy?

Now, no I don't think the production crew only works on Atlantis. I know they work on other things. However, they don't work year round. There is some down time each year. I'd like an extra 2-4 episodes each year too. But that will not happen with Skiffy involved, not ever ever ever. Twenty is the most we will ever get. So, why not have the next best thing? Given the choices and possibilities, I'd much rather have an extra mini-series than nothing. One show is nice, two is even better.

Comment

A mini-series from time to time would be nice, I'll admit that. But if these first two Stargate movies work out, the movie route may be the way to go. I'd be happy with either though, as long as stories involving Stargate are still being written and produced in some fashion.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Yeah, that have to renew it by the end of this month other wise they'd be late starting the new season. If they waited till the end then we'd have to wait forever until new eps came out. It would be idiotic not to renew or cancel now.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla View Post
                      But that is exactly what Skiffy, AKA The SciFi Channel, is doing. SGA only has a handful of episodes to earn a fifth season. And yes, we all know it is idiotic. Would you expect anything less from Skiffy?
                      I'm amazed they have any original programming still on the air. If Star Trek followed this, none of the spin-off shows would have lasted more than one season.

Now, no I don't think the production crew only works on Atlantis. I know they work on other things. However, they don't work year round. There is some down time each year. I'd like an extra 2-4 episodes each year too. But that will not happen with Skiffy involved, not ever ever ever. Twenty is the most we will ever get. So, why not have the next best thing? Given the choices and possibilities, I'd much rather have an extra mini-series than nothing. One show is nice, two is even better.
                      Well, that down time is called vacation... ya know, that time they spend with their families. Why do you say SciFi will never expand SG:A's seasons? After SG-1 moved from Showtime to SciFi, it continued to have 22-episode seasons until SG:A was ordered alongside SG-1. Both shows then had 20-episode seasons to reduce various expenses. I was hoping SG:A would bump up to 22 episodes with SG-1 off the air, but sadly, that didn't happen. As for having a summer mini-series so we can have two Stargate shows, they're already working on a new show, it's called Stargate: Universe. If they go with the anual mini-series route, we'll effective have three shows. That is overkill.

Comment

I'm amazed they have any original programming still on the air. If Star Trek followed this, none of the spin-off shows would have lasted more than one season.

Well, that down time is called vacation... ya know, that time they spend with their families. Why do you say SciFi will never expand SG:A's seasons? After SG-1 moved from Showtime to SciFi, it continued to have 22-episode seasons until SG:A was ordered alongside SG-1. Both shows then had 20-episode seasons to reduce various expenses. I was hoping SG:A would bump up to 22 episodes with SG-1 off the air, but sadly, that didn't happen. As for having a summer mini-series so we can have two Stargate shows, they're already working on a new show, it's called Stargate: Universe. If they go with the anual mini-series route, we'll effective have three shows. That is overkill.
                        Nah, there can NEVER be too much Stargate, as long as it is good Stargate. That's the only thing, as long as it is good, then who cares if there is two, three or 10 SG shows. Besides, Universe won't be on until SGA goes off the air, most likely. Universe hasn't even gone past the concept phase yet. So it'll be a while yet before it even airs.

Comment

First off, it's not necessary to quote me when there's no posts between me and you. Second, you have to look at it from the audience's point of view, not just yours alone. There might not be such a thing as too much SG for you, but that doesn't apply to everyone else. Obviously, SG kept going strong with two shows, but I think any more than that is pushing it, will dilute the production teams, and ultimately milk the franchise dry. As far as TV shows go, we have Stargate: Atlantis and the upcoming Stargate: Universe which may air as soon as the fall of 2008. Most likely, SG:A will still be on when SG:U comes out unless SciFi decides to cancel SG:A.

Comment

Wouldn't mind a mni-series, plus on-going movies. Up TPTB I guess & dependant on sales from the DVD movies, etc; but the franchise is still going strong.

Can't wait for the new Season of SGA to start here in Oz (hint hint Sci-Fi Australia! ), as well as TAoT & SG:C to come out on DVD. Buying S3 of SGA & S10 of Sg-1 on DVD ASAP (moving back in my parents is gonna help me save some serious $$$, which i can naturally spend @ conventions & other SG-realted obessions I have. ), as well as signing up for SG: Worlds when it comes out next year.

Getting back to the mini-series idea, there have been some really good mini-seires that have taken place before or after the launch of a seires; & many successful t.v. series have gone on to continue the stories told in a mini-series - like BSG - & so on & so forth; so I don't see why SG couldn't do the same to launch the 3rd series, etc.

Comment

Maybe we could have two movies tired into ecah other? That way its kinda like a miniseries, Like the Farscape Peacekeeper Wars (a quality film).

However with hopefully a 5th series of Atlantis, and A new series Stargate Universe I would say its a while till a 3rd film is made let alone a mini series!
                              sigpic
                              Banner Made By Me for Me
                              The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                                Maybe we could have two movies tired into ecah other? That way its kinda like a miniseries, Like the Farscape Peacekeeper Wars (a quality film).
                                Redundant, since MGM is already making two Stargate movies based on SG-1. The plots will be separate, but they will be tied together in that they resolve the main villains of the TV show: the Ori and Ba'al.

However with hopefully a 5th series of Atlantis, and A new series Stargate Universe I would say its a while till a 3rd film is made let alone a mini series!
                                There will be a third movie if the first two SG-1 films sell well.

Comment

Working...
                                X