Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Stargate Mini-Series?

Lightbulb Stargate Mini-Series?

I don't know if this is the right section for starting this thread, but what about the idea of producing Stargate mini-series for Sci-Fi as another way of continueing the SG-1 story? They could be like 5 or 6 episodes long and based upon a single story line. Some possible ideas for stories would be perhaps, Loki having survived the Asgard suicide, the Tokra story, Tealc and the new Jaffa nation, Jack going back in time to save his son, or really anything at all from the past or future of the SG-1 universe.

P.S.
    I give up any claim to any of those ideas if the are ever actually used. (I think everyone should add a disclaimer like that when posting suggestions that they would like TPTB to really do.)
    Last edited by Liam Kincaid; October 7th, 2007 at 10:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Stargate Mini-Series?

I think it would've been a better idea to do a miniseries to finish off the Ori storyline than a movie. Mind you a movie means alot more money, so likely bigger, better action . I also hear the movies were delayed so they'd have the best possible cgi, so big movie quality I reckon, with a miniseries it'll just be like more episodes so just the usual standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Kincaid View Post
    I don't know if this is the right section for starting this thread, but what about the idea of producing Stargate mini-series for Sci-Fi as another way of continueing the SG-1 story? They could be like 5 or 6 episodes long and based upon a single story line. Some possible ideas for stories would be perhaps, Loki having survived the Asgard suicide, the Tokra story, Tealc and the nee Jaffa nation, Jack going back in time to save his son, or really anything at all from the past or future of the SG-1 universe.

P.S.
    I give up any claim to any of those ideas if the are ever actually used. (I think everone should add a disclaimer like that when posting suggestions that they would like TPTB to really do.)
    I actually have thought of something like this before. Although, my idea was not as limited in scope or duration. I've tried to look for ways and benefits for doing something like this, everything from production costs and actor availability to plot possibilities. I've worked out something that would be quite cost efficient because it reuses some existing sets, some stock footage, and most importantly would expand the SG universe immensely. The best part is that it would give a fantastic way to keep the SG-1 DVD movies going. I am currently putting together a presentation and looking for an opprtunity to present it to MGM Execs. I'm not going to divulge my idea because it is so brilliant, IMHO. I honestly believe it would give the SG franchise enough range and flexibility to go for another 20 years non stop easily. The only problem I am having is finding a way to present my idea to the right people.
    Last edited by Freekzilla; October 7th, 2007 at 12:38 PM.
    Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
    Loyalty above all else, except Honor.
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...a/Palmados.jpg

We don't need mini-series. They should order more DVD-film at least 2 per year!

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    We don't need mini-series. They should order more DVD-film at least 2 per year!
    You can only accomplish so much in a DVD movie. The franchise is more than just the DVD movies, and it could be much more with my idea. Also, a mini-series doesn't necessarily have to be about SG-1.

Okay, but the DVD-films are not Stargate SG-1 : Ark of Truth, but Stargate : Ark of Truth. The movies will be 90-110 minutes long. I hoped that they will be 2*90 minutes long like Farscape : Peacekeeper Wars, but 100 minutes have to be enough to tell interesting scifi stories in SG universe.

What type of mini-series should they make? Stargate : Nox, Stargate : Rhee'tou, Stargate : Asgard, Stargate : Haaken or something totally new, but I have to say again, these stories can be made as a DVD-film too. They should make them with SG-1, Atlantis and Universe actors, because they live in a common fictional world, so they should work together to save the galaxies.

Lieutenant Colonel

Why make a mini-series when there are movies in development? I've yet to see a good mini-series, so I am glad they are making movies instead. Besides, wouldn't a mini-series effectively be three or four 90-minute movies aired over the coarse of a week? I'd much rather have 2-hour movies on a bigger budget, each with their own story.

Okay, but the DVD-films are not Stargate SG-1 : Ark of Truth, but Stargate : Ark of Truth. The movies will be 90-110 minutes long. I hoped that they will be 2*90 minutes long like Farscape : Peacekeeper Wars, but 100 minutes have to be enough to tell interesting scifi stories in SG universe.

What type of mini-series should they make? Stargate : Nox, Stargate : Rhee'tou, Stargate : Asgard, Stargate : Haaken or something totally new, but I have to say again, these stories can be made as a DVD-film too. They should make them with SG-1, Atlantis and Universe actors, because they live in a common fictional world, so they should work together to save the galaxies.
    Well, the DVD movies such as "The Ark of Truth" are SG-1 based after all. Just because it's not in the title, atleast right now, doesn't mean they represent the entire scope of the franchise, SGA & Universe. The SG world has more than just SG-1, there are other SG teams not to mention many other parts to the SG program and related agencies, IE N.I.D., Area 51, the Antarctic research station, Alpha, Beta, and Gamma sites. The midway station, the Trust (if they still exist). But there are also other aspects such as, the Free Jaffa Nation, Lucian Aliance, and even the Goa'uld. I know, the Goauld are defeated and in hiding, but not all of them are dead. They've got to be a bit ticked off at Earth and the Free Jaffa. And who says we've seen every aspect of the Goa'uld, or the Aschen or anyone else for that matter. There's a lot that could be explored that doesn't need a full series but could make for a good mini-series. It doesn't need to be 5 or 6 episodes long, even 4 episodes would be fine. There's just soooo many possibilities that could be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    Why make a mini-series when there are movies in development? I've yet to see a good mini-series, so I am glad they are making movies instead. Besides, wouldn't a mini-series effectively be three or four 90-minute movies aired over the coarse of a week? I'd much rather have 2-hour movies on a bigger budget, each with their own story.
    <color snip>

But that's JUST for SG-1. I don't see SGA doing any DVD movies anytime soon. There's more to the franchise than just SG-1 and SGA. Why not explore it. There haven't been any good mini-series? WHAT!?!? Are you kidding? What about "Band of Brothers"? That was an AWESOME mini-series. And yes, it was classified as a mini-series, it was serialized episodes less than a full season's worth. Granted, it was sort of a docu-drama, it was still a mini-series. Or how about the BSG mini-series? There have been plenty of good mini-series throughout television. Maybe not much in the SciFi genre, but they do exist.
    Last edited by Freekzilla; October 7th, 2007 at 12:34 PM.

Yes, I feel the same. I think they are capable of making better, more action and CGI heavy stories, but if the viewers don't watch the series on TV, than they won't get chance. I think the DVD movies will be a great financial success. They cost "only" 7-7 million dollar. They had more than 2 million dollar for costumes, sets, props, salaries and special effects. They will sell it for international television channels, there will be a SciFi Channel premiere too. If we count so, that next to these they can sell at least 0,5-1 million DVD around the globe, than they will earn back the MGM's money, so they will order more. I would like to see an Atlantis DVD movie next year, because they can make such things from extra budget, what they could never have on a simple TV episode. I think they should build an off-world Pegasus gate set and find new film location or make them in blue-box. The actors should make more live-action movements, not only walking from A to B. They should climb mountains, swim in lakes etc., when the storyboard need it.

Yes, I feel the same. I think they are capable of making better, more action and CGI heavy stories, but if the viewers don't watch the series on TV, than they won't get chance. I think the DVD movies will be a great financial success. They cost "only" 7-7 million dollar. They had more than 2 million dollar for costumes, sets, props, salaries and special effects. They will sell it for international television channels, there will be a SciFi Channel premiere too. If we count so, that next to these they can sell at least 0,5-1 million DVD around the globe, than they will earn back the MGM's money, so they will order more. I would like to see an Atlantis DVD movie next year, because they can make such things from extra budget, what they could never have on a simple TV episode. I think they should build an off-world Pegasus gate set and find new film location or make them in blue-box. The actors should make more live-action movements, not only walking from A to B. They should climb mountains, swim in lakes etc., when the storyboard need it.
    I thought the movies had an 11 million dollars budget each? Least I'm sure that's what Joe Mallozzi said.

I remembered for 7-7 million dollar. 11 million would be a bit too much, don't you think? An average episode costs 2-2,5 million dollar, so a two-parter (= 88 minutes long) episode's budget is near 5 million dollar.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Freekzilla View Post
    But that's JUST for SG-1. I don't see SGA doing any DVD movies anytime soon. There's more to the franchise than just SG-1 and SGA. Why not explore it. There haven't been any good mini-series? WHAT!?!? Are you kidding? What about "Band of Brothers"? That was an AWESOME mini-series. And yes, it was classified as a mini-series, it was serialized episodes less than a full season's worth. Granted, it was sort of a docu-drama, it was still a mini-series. Or how about the BSG mini-series? There have been plenty of good mini-series throughout television. Maybe not much in the SciFi genre, but they do exist.
    Right now, Stargate is effectively defined as being a TV show wether that be SG-1, Atlantis, or the upcoming Universe. The only reason why MGM is making movies is because SciFi cancelled SG-1, a show which MGM feels should have continued. Besides, you don't want to oversaturate the market. The recently cancelled SG-1, Atlantis, next year's SG-1 movies, and the in-development Universe TV show... really, isn't that enough? We all have a favorite episode or story arc that we'd like to see expanded on, but you also have to factor in real world issues that would warrant such a movie, mini-series, or TV series.

I remembered for 7-7 million dollar. 11 million would be a bit too much, don't you think? An average episode costs 2-2,5 million dollar, so a two-parter (= 88 minutes long) episode's budget is near 5 million dollar.
    Well the movies are like 2 hours long, which is 2 and a half episodes, so that's only about 6 millions dollars and they've said this movie will be bigger and better than your average SG-1, I don't see them doing this with an extra million. I'm pretty sure Joe said it when asked in his blog, perhaps the original estimate was 7 million but has be upped to 11 million, I sure hope so .

These are the most important scifi DVD films:

Farscape : Peacekeeper Wars
    Babylon 5 : The Lost Tales
    Battlestar Galactica : Razor
    Stargate : Ark of Truth
    Stargate : Continuum

I think they postponed the movies not only because of the slowly making of CGI effects, but they didn't want to be a competition for Razor too. But with this move they lost the Christmas DVD sales factor, so I don't know whether it was a good decision.

I hope SciFi will decide about Atlantis season 5, the Universe and more DVD films at the end of October, so the US fans have only 2-3 Atlantis episode to show theirs support.

Lieutenant Colonel

Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum are not SciFi productions, they are being made by MGM with no connections to SciFi. If they air on SciFi, it will only be because SciFi bought the airing rights like they would for any movie.

These are the most important scifi DVD films:

Farscape : Peacekeeper Wars
    Babylon 5 : The Lost Tales
    Battlestar Galactica : Razor
    Stargate : Ark of Truth
    Stargate : Continuum

I think they postponed the movies not only because of the slowly making of CGI effects, but they didn't want to be a competition for Razor too. But with this move they lost the Christmas DVD sales factor, so I don't know whether it was a good decision.

I hope SciFi will decide about Atlantis season 5, the Universe and more DVD films at the end of October, so the US fans have only 2-3 Atlantis episode to show theirs support.
    What? Why? Huh? Why would you want the decision to be made only based on 2 or 3 episodes? Things could pick up later on and they'd miss out on it then. Or are you saying you want the series to end and not get a 5th season?

Right now, Stargate is effectively defined as being a TV show wether that be SG-1, Atlantis, or the upcoming Universe. The only reason why MGM is making movies is because SciFi cancelled SG-1, a show which MGM feels should have continued. Besides, you don't want to oversaturate the market. The recently cancelled SG-1, Atlantis, next year's SG-1 movies, and the in-development Universe TV show... really, isn't that enough? We all have a favorite episode or story arc that we'd like to see expanded on, but you also have to factor in real world issues that would warrant such a movie, mini-series, or TV series.
    Heck no, I want an ALL SG channel! Just kidding, or maybe I'm not. LOL! No, I don't think a mini-series would oversaturate things at all, IF it was done right. I say, do a min-series that is 4 episodes long, and have it right before the regular season starts for SGA, then another mini during the hiatus, and in the same time slot. It would help keep people familiar with the timeslot, something a little different to watch but still SG while the regular show is not on, brings in new ideas and directions they could explore thus keeping it fresh. And it would also, something you may not have thought about, keep the production crew working which would let them earn a paycheck and keep their talents in tip top shape. We all get rusty on our time off. Seriously, I've REALLY thought about it. I've even took what people on here have said into consideration. Then put everything I've learned and came up with what I think is an excellent concept. I really and honestly believe it would work, and work very well, if it was done the right way. I just don't see the SG franchise as being just a TV show or DVD movies. I want it to defy that typical definition.

Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum are not SciFi productions, they are being made by MGM with no connections to SciFi. If they air on SciFi, it will only be because SciFi bought the airing rights like they would for any movie.
    I'm guessing he meant scifi as in Science fiction, not the channel. But I could be wrong. That's why I often use the term skiffy when refering to the channel.

The SciFi will decide about season 5 at the end of October or the beginning of November. There will be a one week long pause, so they will make announcement after 4x05 or 4x06. So the US fans should watch the next episodes, if they want new season. I am a bit sad that I don't live there, so I can't do anything.

We need new order of SG-1 DVD films too, because they can release them (the third, the fourth etc.) only in 2009!

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Freekzilla View Post
    No, I don't think a mini-series would oversaturate things at all, IF it was done right. I say, do a min-series that is 4 episodes long, and have it right before the regular season starts for SGA, then another mini during the hiatus, and in the same time slot. It would help keep people familiar with the timeslot, something a little different to watch but still SG while the regular show is not on, brings in new ideas and directions they could explore thus keeping it fresh. And it would also, something you may not have thought about, keep the production crew working which would let them earn a paycheck and keep their talents in tip top shape. We all get rusty on our time off.
    I would much rather see Atlantis get an extra 2-4 episodes a year than have a between-seasons mini-series. As for keeping the production crew busy, do you really think Atlantis is the only show they work on?

The SciFi will decide about season 5 at the end of October or the beginning of November. There will be a one week long pause, so they will make announcement after 4x05 or 4x06. So the US fans should watch the next episodes, if they want new season. I am a bit sad that I don't live there, so I can't do anything.
    Why would SciFi make the decission to renew the show after just five or so episodes when this season will be featuring twenty episodes? That's idiotic!

This is simple mathematic.

2007. October 12. - 4x03 Reunion
    2007. October 19. - 4x04 Doppelganger
    2007. October 26. - 4x05 Travelers

2007. November - pick-up for season 5
    2007. November-December : they begin to spin, they write the first episodes
    2007. December-2008. January: they build the new sets, they make new props, they have to make castings
    2008. February : They will begin to shot the first episodes
    2008. Junius or July : They are on holiday for 3-4 weeks.
    2008. July or September : The new premier
    2008. October : They finish the 5x20 episode.

They make an episode for 5-8 day, so in the worst case it is 20*8 = 160 day = 32 week (Monday-Friday) = 8 months, so the February-October is correct.

^ This can be used for Stargate : Universe too, so SciFi haven't got too much time to decide.
    Last edited by Platschu; October 8th, 2007 at 12:52 AM.