Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary vs. Broadcasted SciFi-themed shows?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanctuary vs. Broadcasted SciFi-themed shows?

How does Sanctuary stack up to conventionally broadcasted SciFi-themes shows?
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

pretty good.

Comment

Good question.

For me, better in many ways because of the flexibility. Watch when and where I want. Pay once and make a DVD, download and watch it on my portable unit, watch on TV or computer, whatever, wherever, whenever for one price. For example, it is much more expensive for me to view SGA the same way. I have to pay for cable for TV viewing initially (and pay again while I watch by being force-fed commercials), buy DVDs when the entire season is completed, and then if I liked an episode enough to put on my portable device, pay again for a download. Sanctuary lets me pay once and do all of the above.

Graphics quality is not perfect yet, but it is improving each webisode, and given that it is nearly entirely green screen, pretty impressive. Total creative freedom for monsters, locations, timelines, etc...

Story is great. I'm not sure about the 15 minute format yet... tough to tie up plot lines, story arcs etc... in so short a time and if you simply divide an hour show (45 minutes of show per hour of network television) into 3, fifteen minute segments, I don't think that would flow either. Not sure what the best solution is yet... Webisodes still feel a little rushed to me (one of the webisodes didn't feel rushed and now I can't remember which one it was or why it seemed like a complete story).

Hungry for more is a good thing, starving for more in regards to story or character development is not. I keep forgetting we are only 2 hours into the show. What is the industry average? Don't they say it takes 2 - 3 years before a show really hits its' stride character-wise? I guess I want to know the characters more, but hard to fit all that in in the pilot episode.

Love the lack of commercials.

Love that it is an independent production (so far).

Love the increased fan interactivity.

Sanctuary is completely different than broadcast - possibly a case of the old apples and oranges cliche, but, for me does seem better in a variety of ways.

Is it worse in any way? I guess the feeling of a rushed story? I don't know. I will adapt with time, I'm used to 45 minutes at a time of SG1.

For me, far better quality than the majority of options out there.

Time will tell. I still think a lot is left to unfold interactivity-wise and story-wise.

Who knows what Sanctuary will be like a year from now? Exciting!

Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
      Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
        Love that it is an independent production (so far).
        You do realize that the producers, actors, etc. aren't starving artists suffering for their art, right? Most (probably all) of them are extremely wealthy, multi-multi-millionaires, Amanda included (assuming she hasn't gone all Tyson on her SG-1 paychecks), lol.

But thanks for the honest answers.
        Last edited by Ripple in Space; 05 September 2007, 11:39 AM.
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

Hoenestly, I'm pretty iffy on Sanctuary- not the format, just the show itself. It's promising, but not grabbing (I didn't even finish watching the free episodes- maybe because they were only short clips every two weeks and I wasn't too bothered after waiting all that time) so I'm glad I didn't put any money up for it. The 3D environment looked amazing in parts and pretty iffy in others (and I didn't like Amanda's accent in it, which is partially why I stopped watching, but that's probably not what you're interested in). Personally I wouldn't put up any cash to watch this stuff until there is gaurenteed quality (yes, someone has to pay for it or it'll never take off, but I'm not so eager as to do so blindly), but I think down the road it'll work, and I suspect Sanctuary gets better as it goes on. It'll just take awhile to iron out the wrinkles.

But overall I'd rather stick with broadcast television. Warts and all. I do think that the quality of the best shows will remain superior to the best internet-based series of the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
            Hoenestly, I'm pretty iffy on Sanctuary- not the format, just the show itself. It's promising, but not grabbing (I didn't even finish watching the free episodes- maybe because they were only short clips every two weeks and I wasn't too bothered after waiting all that time) so I'm glad I didn't put any money up for it. The 3D environment looked amazing in parts and pretty iffy in others (and I didn't like Amanda's accent in it, which is partially why I stopped watching, but that's probably not what you're interested in). Personally I wouldn't put up any cash to watch this stuff until there is gaurenteed quality (yes, someone has to pay for it or it'll never take off, but I'm not so eager as to do so blindly), but I think down the road it'll work, and I suspect Sanctuary gets better as it goes on. It'll just take awhile to iron out the wrinkles.

But overall I'd rather stick with broadcast television. Warts and all. I do think that the quality of the best shows will remain superior to the best internet-based series of the future.
            Am I the only one with a HD-DVR? Come on guys it's only $11 a month, that's like 1/3 of 1 boxset season. Commercials don't mean anything if you have one.

Wouldn't someone lose their British accent from decades in America anyway ?
            Last edited by Ripple in Space; 05 September 2007, 05:20 PM.
            sigpic
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
              Am I the only one with a HD-DVR? Come on guys it's only $11 a month, that's like 1/3 of 1 boxset season. Commercials don't mean anything if you have one.

Wouldn't someone lose their British accent from decades in America anyway ?
              HD-DVR? What's that? Isn't this still the stone age?

I like my traditional DVD box sets and I don't care if they cost more- I'll buy fewer shows and find other things to do. And that way it's not all taking up valuble harddrive space.

And yes, if she's lived in America so long it shouldn't be so pronounced. Hec, it's easy for an accent to alter while on vacation. Of course maybe she doesn't get out much.

Comment

Working...
              X