This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beliefs (Aliens/God/Fate)

Just a little discussion thread about what people believe in. Not "The Official Religion Thread" or anything, just...

Well I, personally, find it funny that some people regard believing in Aliens is not possible until their existence is proved, while at the same time believing in God or something else...
    But that might be because I am an Atheist and slightly biased.

Anyway, gateworlders, what's your take on this?
    Resident Swede on Gateworld Forum

I believe in the existence of both aliens and God.

Both of which I have enough proof for myself to believe in them.

My uncle used to own a cattle ranch where really weird stuff happened to his cows, so I'm sure aliens are real. Whew! The stories he told... I've never seen him so serious in my life. Then there's the fact that his family and my grandfather both back up his stories (they saw most of it too).

Believe me, the look on his face said it all. Pure seriousness there. He was scared out of his gourd by it all.

Anyway, here's some of the things he saw: red and blue flashes in the sky, mutilated cows that don't decay, some kind of dog thing that walked on two legs, tiny blue balls flying through the air that turned a couple of his dogs into grease spots (the experts said they'd been hit by intense microwave radiation) and a bunch of very small birds that made a communal nest similar to a bee hive.

And I've had too many spiritual experiences to discount God. These are mostly all very personal, so I'll not elaborate at this time. Perhaps if I think of a good example I'll post it here. I'm just a little tired to think of something I'd like to share right now.
    Last edited by ascendedancient42; 31 August 2007, 06:21 AM. Reason: grammar fix
    Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Maybe it's because people can at least make the claim that God has come to Earth in the past. I've never heard any sane person claim that aliens have been here.

If you go by Judeo-Christian texts, God has physically been to Earth several times. Also, even (educated) people who hate Christianity don't claim that Jesus wasn't here around 2000 years ago, they just question his validity as the human incarnation of God.

This is in contrast to Aliens where no legitimate historical records even assert that Aliens are hanging out here. And no, I don't think any major group claims that Tom Cruise is in fact an Alien among us .

It would be like Person #1 saying:
      "Richard Dean Anderson was the best portrayer of Jack in the Franchise's history!"

And Person #2 says:
      "No, Paris Hilton was the best portrayer of Jack in the Franchise's history!"

While Person #1 may be 100% wrong, there'll be more folks going into that camp since those people can point to "Window of Opportunity" or another episode like that.

On the other hand Person #2 would be hard pressed to find other people to believe that Paris Hilton was the best Jack. The claim can't even really be made because Person #2 doesn't have any instance to point to as an example (even a wrong example).
      sigpic
      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
      ~David Hewlett

Comment

what about ghosts?

i dont believe in god, or fate, but i also do not disbelieve in them, essentially because there is no evidence either for or against the existence of god. But i think the chance that aliens exist outweighs the chance that they don't by such a large amount that i do believe in them, i don't necessarily believe they are visiting earth, so i'm not sure about ufo's, there are a lot that are really unexplainable, but that doesnt mean they are aliens,
        Spoiler:
        Disclaimer:
        I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
        Quotes!
        - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
        - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
        - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
          I've never heard any sane person claim that aliens have been here.
          You're going to get a lot of people question the sanity of beleiving in God now

Not that I do... Just that, it can be brought up...

Comment

I believe in life beyond Earth; the possibility of there NOT being life is too tiny IMHO.

I'm an Agnostic, so I sort-of believe in a supernatural power, but I won't bet on it either way.

I'm the same with ghosts; perhaps I've been brainwashed by the stories, but they just seem so real and unexplainable to me. But then, they make no sense scientifically speaking, so again I can't really decide either way.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post

I'm not talking believing in Aliens. If we're talking organic life in general, I wouldn't be surprised if there were tons of fish on Europa (a moon of Jupiter). I'm talking about the people who talk about abductions, or ET coming to poker night every third Thursday of the month.

Some of the world's greatest scientific minds believe in God, they usually aren't in the intelligent design camp (meaning the Intelligent Design Movement, not literal Intelligent design), but plenty believe in God.

You see, the Judeo-Christian faith in general (meaning biblically, not the organized religions) could only really be disproved if every descendant of Jacob (Abraham's Grandson) was exterminated. That's really the only thing in there that could disprove it through physical evidence, since God's always saying how they will never be killed off entirely. But again, it's harder to disprove a faith, because science and faith don't mix very well.

With Aliens visiting Earth, since most "believers" don't consider their belief to be a religion, it's a whole lot easier to disprove them. If aliens are coming to the family barbecue every so often, get a DNA sample the next time they show. A hair, mouth swab, skin flake, and within weeks you could prove to the world that aliens are coming to Earth watching MTV with you.
              sigpic
              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
              ~David Hewlett

Comment

If you go by Judeo-Christian texts, God has physically been to Earth several times. Also, even (educated) people who hate Christianity don't claim that Jesus wasn't here around 2000 years ago, they just question his validity as the human incarnation of God.
                God has never been to Earth in a physical form. We've seen aspects of God's power displayed as a beam of light or in the form of boils and frogs and the such, but never in physical form, that would undermine quite a bit of things---especially the idea of God making us "all" in it's image. <---One of the things that irks me, utterly limiting to this omniscient being.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You cannot believe in God and believe in outside things, that is blasphemous. To claim there are aliens (and remember that when we speak of aliens we speak of outside entities in which people have classed as having a power of some kind; beyond our own) they would fall into the elk as God and then would there fore compete with God. God is the ultimate supreme being to believers and there fore you as a mere human would be destroyed by "his" [<---Note the human characteristic] wrath. So you can't believe in a foreign unknown entity and as such fear them as you would a type of being such as God.

Personally I find it all non-sensical both aliens and God. Coming from what most can claim to be the most corrupt of all religions, Catholicism (our focus is cathecism <---we have laws that guide us; the bible is just window dressing); gives you a take on certain things that have ben twisted a bit in other christian faiths and paticularly twisted from the Judaism.

As an individual, who shunned religion at an early age as the end all be all, I believe in more logical ventures although I strongly believe in the power of the Individual. As such I do shun many things spiritual and outside entities except for the abilities of the human person which is limitless and extremely powerful. I like dappling in the spiritual superstitious but all in all it's good for more entertainment. Although I don't believe in Alien life as displayed on X-Files or ET, but alien life has been proven to exist and that I do not deny. Mainly in the form of micro organisms, or galactical storms/tornadoes/earth quakes. They are functioning in the ultimate atmousphere, we're the only one with an evolved life status as of current studies.
                Click statement above to read article.

Comment

I won't even get into Catholicism or Rabbinical Judaism, if their supplementary texts were truly correct they wouldn't need to be appended....

As I said, if you go by the Judeo-Christian cannon texts, i.e.- the Tanakh and New Testament, God had physically manifested on multiple occasions. Jesus was said to have been the human manifestation of God, Abraham ate with God, and Moses met with God on multiple occasions.
                  Last edited by Ripple in Space; 31 August 2007, 01:23 PM.
                  sigpic
                  ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post

I'm all for it being brought up... There is as much tangible proof that there is an actual GOD up there (or wherever) as there is proof that there are Aliens on other planets (and I'm actually not counting the Bible/s since, personally, I dont feel like that's tangible enough)... Or universe's...

Comment

This is in contrast to Aliens where no legitimate historical records even assert that Aliens are hanging out here. And no, I don't think any major group claims that Tom Cruise is in fact an Alien among us .
                      Nicely said.

I am a Christian. That means that I believe in God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Bible, and all that good stuff. To ellaborate, I believe Jesus Christ was God in the flefh AKA the Son of God. He lived to die on the cross where he would take on all of the sins of the world that were, are (at that time), and will be. He went to Hell in place of those who accept him as Lord and Savior, then resurrected and ascended to Heaven. There's a lot more to Christianity, but please understand that it's not believe in God or go to Hell at all. Rather, Adam and Eve, the first two Human beings, doomed Humanity from the get go. The basic Christian beliefe is that we'll all born into sin and thus condemned from the get go. We have to form a relationship with Christ and accept him as Lord and Savior. There's more to it, but that's the beginning. Now, you don't have to believe as I, I'm just sharing what I and other (note that I didn't say all) Christians believe.

I don't believe in extraterrestrial life, but don't mistake that for a beliefe that such life doesn't exist. I simply am neutral on the issue. Is alien life possible? Sure, you bet! I would love to visit an alien world and explore it's civilization. However, I can't believe that aliens exist if there's no evidence. You might as well ask me to beliefe in elfs, faries, and trolls. I can't believe in something when there's absolutely no evidence of it's existance.

Now you wonder why I believe in God, but not aliens. What's the difference, right? The difference is that there's absolutely nothing to indicate that life exists beyond Earth, only mans assumption that life must exist everywhere, and that man must be right. However, God is an entirely different issue. The Holy Bible explains the origins of the world, and much more. Now, you can choose to believe that the Holy Bible is the word of God, or you can choose to believe that it's just some silly religious book. That's up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by HD89 View Post
                        Just a little discussion thread about what people believe in. Not "The Official Religion Thread" or anything, just...

Well I, personally, find it funny that some people regard believing in Aliens is not possible until their existence is proved, while at the same time believing in God or something else...
                        But that might be because I am an Atheist and slightly biased.

Anyway, gateworlders, what's your take on this?
                        What I, personally, find funny- nay, breathlessly hilarious- is that peculiar irresistible urge that compels a certain breed of atheists to ceaselessly boast about their unbelief and preach atheism with the zeal of hyperactive Jehovah's Witnesses on drugs. New threads on religion seem to crop up here in the off-topic chatter every two days or so on average. Somehow, not a single one of them is started by the supposedly omnipresent Bible-thumpers who are out to thrust their religion down the throats of the good people of Gateworld. Instead, these threads are always posted by self-described atheists, whose starting post invariably consists of rehashing an old and primitive argument, which the said atheists for some perverted reason consider to be a valid and attractive debate starter.

Heywood Broun was right. Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God.
                        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                          You might as well ask me to beliefe in elfs, faries, and trolls.
                          Trolls do exist. In fact, they are so plentiful that I demand a troll hunting license.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                            What I, personally, find funny- nay, breathlessly hilarious- is that peculiar irresistible urge that compels a certain breed of atheists to ceaselessly boast about their unbelief and preach atheism with the zeal of hyperactive Jehovah's Witnesses on drugs. New threads on religion seem to crop up here in the off-topic chatter every two days or so on average. Somehow, not a single one of them is started by the supposedly omnipresent Bible-thumpers who are out to thrust their religion down the throats of the good people of Gateworld. Instead, these threads are always posted by self-described atheists, whose starting post invariably consists of rehashing an old and primitive argument, which the said atheists for some perverted reason consider to be a valid and attractive debate starter.

Heywood Broun was right. Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God.
                            You know what, you do have a point. A very valid one at that... I do come across as a bit hostile and moronic... Like: "Hey, I cant understand people who believe in something I don't"... For this I am sorry.

I should have written something like: "Do you think believing in god equals believing in Aliens or some such?"

I realize my mistake and for this, again, I apologize.

I'm still going to leave it like that though... Because since you have now pointed it out, It would feel rather cheap if I went ahed and edited the whole thing.

Anyway, I thought this topic answered pretty much the premise of my question And also, thank you DJ for finally getting back to me on this topic, Cheers!

Comment

I do not beleive in God, fate, or Aliens (that have visited Earth, that they exist somewhere I'm sure - the universe is a big place...well, infinite)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X