No announcement yet.

Blake's 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope it does go down the BSG route. Although I could never get into BSG, I put that down as a failing on my part rather than a failing of the show.

Anyway, for people who can't wait for B7 to appear on TV, Big Finish are doing a full (original) cast audio.

BLAKE’S 7: WARSHIP

http://www.blakes7online.com/news.php?readmore=116

The original cast of Terry Nation’s acclaimed series Blake’s 7 are reuniting for a special audio episode that will be released in February 2013. The audio is being released in a licence deal with B7 Enterprises.

Written by Peter Anghelides, Warship finds the spaceship Liberator acting as the sole line of defence against a massive alien invasion fleet, while Blake and his crew desperately await the arrival of help from the most unlikely of sources – President Servalan and her Federation forces…

“This is the Blake’s 7 episode that we’ve always wanted to hear,” says producer David Richardson. “It fills in the missing gap in the mythology, following the Galactic War, and ultimately to Blake and Jenna’s departure as members of the Liberator crew. And it tells a whole lot more too – that alien attack force is actually far more destructive than expected, but the Federation may just have a surprise line of defence…”

“I’m delighted to see Big Finish tackle their first full cast Blake’s 7 story,” says Andrew Mark Sewell, Executive Producer of B7 Media, “and it’s great that Peter’s script so perfectly captures the spirit of the original to tell (and complete) such a significant – but previously unseen – part of the whole mythos.”

Warship stars Gareth Thomas as Roj Blake, Paul Darrow as Kerr Avon, Michael Keating as Vila Restal, Sally Knyvette as Jenna Stannis, Jan Chappell as Cally, Jacqueline Pearce as Servalan and Alistair Lock as Zen and Orac.

The hour-long story will be released in February 2013 as a double disc set, with the second disc comprising interviews and behind the scenes material from the historic cast reunion at the recording session. It will retail for £12.99 on CD and £9.99 on download from bigfinish.com.

A novelization of the episode will also be released in February 2013, in ebook form only. The book will retail at £4.99, and expand upon the cataclysmic events and key developments in the story. A series of enhanced audiobooks entitled Blake’s 7: The Liberator Chronicles and a range of original Blake’s 7 novels are also available from Big Finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
      Anyway, for people who can't wait for B7 to appear on TV, Big Finish are doing a full (original) cast audio.

BLAKE’S 7: WARSHIP

http://www.blakes7online.com/news.php?readmore=116

The original cast of Terry Nation’s acclaimed series Blake’s 7 are reuniting for a special audio episode that will be released in February 2013. The audio is being released in a licence deal with B7 Enterprises.
      Wow! Now this sounds interesting.

Not sure about the reboot. While I'm attached to the original characters, I haven't watched it in over 10 yrs so I don't know how it holds up.
      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

I used to watch it as a kid but unfortunately i remember little.. I do remember i loved the look of the ship though.
        Would really love someone to reboot this...

Comment

Some of the latest B7 Big Finish releases.

The Liberator Chronicles: Volume 2

Synopsis

Three enhanced audiobooks performed by the stars of the classic BBC television series. These stories are set during Series 2.

The Magnificent Four by Simon Guerrier
          Starring Jan Chapell as Cally and Paul Darrow as Avon

A mission to steal data from the planet Mogul goes badly wrong when Cally and Avon are outflanked and outgunned. And then they are teleported to safety – to an alien spaceship stolen from The System, which is crewed by Gilden Trent and his small team of rebels.

For Avon it’s the opportunity to start over again without Blake.

But can Trent be trusted?

False Positive by Eddie Robson
          Starring Gareth Thomas as Blake and Beth Chalmers as Lian

Dr Lian has a mysterious new patient – a man who was found shot in the leg near Engel City, a man who is delirious and talking about the most extraordinary acts of rebellion.

She prescribes drugs and the use of the alleviator – a device that will dig deep into his memories – to unlock the truth about Carlin Guzan.

But the truth that she exposes is far more shocking than she bargained for...

Wolf by Nigel Fairs
          Starring Jacqueline Pearce as Servalan, Jan Chappell as Cally and Anthony Howell as Nyrron

“I heard his death cry. I felt it. And there was a word. ‘Wolf’. You, Servalan. You were the “Wolf”. You killed him. I want to know why.”

Some time ago, Blake and his crew were helped by a revered Auron scientist named Gustav Nyrron. He stayed aboard the Liberator for a time, and then disappeared.

Cally wants to know what happened to Nyrron, and only Servalan knows the answers.

Written By: Simon Guerrier, Eddie Robson and Nigel Fairs
          Directed By: Lisa Bowerman
          Cast: Jan Chappell (Cally), Paul Darrow (Avon), Gareth Thomas (Blake), Jacqueline Pearce (Servalan), Beth Chalmers (Lian) and Anthony Howell (Gustav Nyrron)

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...s-volume-2-736

The Liberator Chronicles: Volume 3

The Armageddon Storm - Parts One, Two and Three

When mercenary Del Grant alerts the Liberator crew to the existence of a new Federation super-weapon, Avon leads an epic battle to avert catastrophe...

Written By: Cavan Scott and Mark Wright
          Directed By: Ken Bentley
          Cast: Paul Darrow (Kerr Avon), Michael Keating (Vila Restal), Jan Chappell (Cally), Tom Chadbon (Del Grant)

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...s-volume-3-737

Comment

I don't know if any of you have seen this news that I post in the Who Actors thread but I'll post it again just in case.

Louise Jameson To Guest Star in an Upcoming Blake's 7!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/loui...oins-blake-s-7

Louise Jameson, who played the savage Leela opposite Tom Baker’s Fourth Doctor in Doctor Who, is taking a key role in Volume 5 of Blake's 7: The Liberator Chronicles, which is released in August 2013.

Blake’s 7 was created by Terry Nation (who also created the Daleks for Doctor Who) and ran for four years on BBC TV. It focused on a team of resistance fighters aboard their advanced ship the Liberator, who battle the corrupt forces of the Federation. The Liberator Chronicles is a series of enhanced audiobooks that is being released in a licence deal with B7 Media.

Volume 5 opens with Logic by Simon Guerrier, in which we meet Pol, an ordinary woman living an ordinary existence inside the domed city on Earth… who is visited by strangers who bring chaos to her life. Louise Jameson plays Pol, Paul Darrow is Avon, Sally Knyvette is Jenna and Jacqueline Pearce returns as Servalan.

In Risk Management by Una McCormack, Blake and Jenna come to the assistance of the planet Sutskar, which is attempting to sell its antiquities to finance reconstruction. But the sale is mired by betrayals and intrigue… Gareth Thomas plays Blake, and Sally Knyvette is Jenna.

Finally, in Three by James Goss, Supreme Commander Servalan accepts a rare interview with a journalist named Cullen. But as she welcomes Cullen aboard Space Command, slowly the truth unfolds concerning who is the hunter, and who is the prey… Jacqueline Pearce plays Servalan, and Joseph Kloska (Pete Versus Life) is Cullen.

Volume 5 of The Liberator Chronicles will be released in August 2013. Volumes 1 and 2 are one sale now, with Volume 3 available in February 2013.

A range of new Blake’s 7 novels is also available: The Forgotten by Mark Wright and Cavan Scott, and Archangel by Scott Harrison are on sale now.

Subscriptions and pre-orders are available at www.bigfinish.com

Comment

Another upcoming release from Big Finish

Lucifer - Book and Audiobook

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...-audiobook-824
              http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...hnical_details

Many legends surround the aftermath of the collapse of The Federation, including the fate of Kerr Avon...

What happened to Avon after the death of Blake and the crew of the Scorpio? Paul Darrow's vivid re-imagining picks up Avon’s story at the final moments of the final episode of Blake's 7 and follows him on his fight for survival, this time with no crew and no ship to help him.

The adventure continues years later as Avon, now an old man, finds himself a key player in the game of power politics being played out on a grand scale by The Quartet - four ruthless leaders in an uneasy alliance, who govern the world in place of the Federation. Old enemies resurface and dangerous new ones appear as the time comes for old scores to finally be settled...

Written By: Paul Darrow
              Read by: Paul Darrow

Out in May

Comment

Given the track record of British shows remade for American TV I am pretty worried. There's all sorts of things that could go wrong or be changed. Would the emphasis still be on the characters rather than special effects? Would we still get to see Avon's slow mental deterioration? Would Blake still be convicted on trumped up paedophile charges? And as for the final ending.... We know what a shock that was, would they still keep it? The more I think about it, the more worried I get.

Ugh... I just flashed back to the American Pilot of "Red Dwarf"....Glad I haven't eaten today yet.
                I like Sharky
                sigpic

Comment

Ick. Don't remind me.

There's been no news lately on the re-make front. I've just been doing a re-watch and thinking how good the original series was and still is, and I'm feeling more and more that I don't want a re-make. Let's just stick with the original and the best.

Also I don't think I could stand it if a remake was made and people commented that it's just like Firefly

Comment

You guys think Arthur Darvill (Rory) would make a good Vila in a remake? if a remake is to happen
                    Last edited by mr_kennedy; 25 January 2013, 02:05 AM.
                    Last Movie Watched
                    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                    Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                      You guys think Arthur Darvill (Rory) would make a good Vila in a remake? if a remake is to happen
                      That is a really good idea. I think he would be perfect.

I was trying to think of other actors who I would like to see but I honestly can't think of anyone who could take on such iconic roles as Avon or Servalan.

BTW Big Finish released their full cast audio drama, Warship, early. It's available to download now, instead of February.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/...d-download-815

Comment

Interview: Big Finish director Ken Bentley

http://scifibulletin.com/doctor-who/...ken-bentley-2/

You’ve directed the full cast Blake’s 7 play Warship and The Armageddon Storm. Were you a fan?

I would say no: I remember vividly sitting down and watching Blake’s 7, because I was a little bit older. I can remember some of the Doctor Who stories from when I was very young, but I can remember sitting down to watch Blake’s 7, and enjoying it. I never pursued it into the novelisations and those sorts of things, so for me Blake’s 7 was something I watched 30 years ago, and had not seen since.

The first time I heard the theme music again was great. It’s one of those moments where the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. It’s really good stuff. I’m looking forward to getting to the edits.

A lovely bunch of people, all did a great job. Paul [Darrow – Avon] is fantastic: he’s sort of the Blake’s 7 equivalent of working with the Doctors on Doctor Who. He and Michael Keating [Vila] both know those characters; every single time right on the moment. I’d worked with Jacqueline [Pearce – Servalan] before: she’d done a Who for us. It was nice that there was a little bit of a connection each time.

Did you treat the Blake’s 7 sessions any differently?

With the Blake’s 7, particularly the first full cast one, it was the first time they’d all got back together for however long it was. It was the first Blake’s 7 I had done. It was one of the rare instances in a Big Finish recording where we were all going in cold, and had to knuckle down and do it. In a situation like that I do tackle it differently, not in story terms, but in terms of how I function as a director: I probably spend a little more time being sensitive to how they work, how they’re functioning together, probably not working it as hard as we might usually.

If you have the luxury of the actors with you for the whole day, do you work chronologically or thematically?

It does depend on the situation. If it’s a one-day recording and we have all the cast there all day, then we’ll record chronologically but I’d still block out certain sequences.

Blake’s 7 is a good example: it was a one-day and we had everybody all day. What I won’t do is bounce people in and out of the booths continuously. I’ll do a block with one group of characters then a block with another group chronologically, and find the point where they all come back together again. As much as I can, in an ideal world, I’ll try to keep everybody’s scenes chronological to keep the throughline clear for everybody. They may have to sit down for a couple of hours. But that happens very rarely.

Usually the schedule is determined by the budget: how many people we can have in for how long. One thing we try to do is get as many people involved in a production as we can. I won’t, for the sake of making it easy for me, double it up with the number of characters just so I can have the same people in for two days. I will try to cast as many different actors as I can, which means the schedule becomes completely abstracted with different sequences on different days. We’ve done the second half of a story in the morning, and then the first half in the afternoon.

Scheduling is one of my strengths: I’ve learned the distinction between OCD and OCPD. If you’re OCD they will lock you up; if you’re OCPD, it’s okay, you’re just a bit anal. I enjoy scheduling and the challenge of making a very complicated schedule work. I know it’s worked when everybody has enjoyed the day’s recording despite how fractured and frustrating the schedule has been.

Comment

Blake’s 7: Review: Big Finish Audio: Warship

http://scifibulletin.com/uk-tv/blake...audio-warship/

At long last, the story of what really happened at the Battle of Star One.

The evolution of the Blake’s 7 audios at Big Finish has been fascinating. The original set of Liberator Chronicles were very much in the Companion Chronicle mould, with two voices (and if a third character were required, one of the actors would have to step in). Then we got a bit more leeway and some stories featured more personnel, even if we were still in ‘enhanced audiobook’ territory. It was clear that far more was feasible, and luckily the licensors obviously agreed – so here we have the first full cast Blake’s 7 audio (in this variant of the universe anyway).

And it’s a triumph for all concerned. Director Ken Bentley and sound designer Alastair Lock seamlessly take us back to the gap between Series B and C. Writer Peter Anghelides picks up all the snippets of information from both the episodes Star One and Aftermath and then adds a whole new layer to them with the introduction of yet another threat for the Liberator crew to deal with. The dialogue falls under the tongues of the actors naturally, so more than ever before, you really feel as if this is an episode the BBC accidentally forgot to broadcast in 1979.

Fans of all the characters won’t be disappointed – there are great scenes for each of them, with some classic Blake/Avon and Avon/Vila moments. Alastair Lock steps into Peter Tuddenham’s shoes for both Zen and Orac and there’s an important, if not huge, role for Jacqueline Pearce as Servalan, giving one final stand-off between her and Blake.

The accompanying documentary is also interesting, particularly as it gives some of the history of the Big Finish work on the franchise, and it’s good to hear the actors’ views on the revival of their characters after so long. Let’s hope that we can have some more of these full-cast stories soon.

Verdict: Big Finish’s best contribution to the Blake’s 7 saga to date – don’t miss it. 9/10

Comment

I'm stumped when it comes to the other characters, but i thought how perfect he would be for vila
                            Last Movie Watched
                            X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                            Life is Strange

Comment

Morena Baccarin as Servalan, although that might be too similar to the character Anna she played on the remake of V.
                              David Anders as Avon.

They both might be too young, but best I can think of of the top of my head.
                              I was thinking maybe Michael Shanks as Vila, but while I think he could act the role great, I think he's too big (physical size) to play the character.

Another upcoming release from Big Finish

Lucifer - Book and Audiobook

Written By: Paul Darrow
                              Read by: Paul Darrow

Out in May
                              No thank you. I don't know what else he's written between 'A Terrible Aspect' and this but how that ever got published is beyond me. Loved him as the character, felt really sad about him as an author.
                              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

I'd heard "A Terrible Aspect" was... well... terrible, so I've not read it.

However, I have read Paul Darrow's autobiography "You're Him Aren't You?" and that was really good - well written and amusing. So I think I'll give Lucifer a go. As it's being published by Big Finish like the autobiography, I wonder if they will have had a lot of input & hopefully make it better. When I get it, I'll let you know what I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X