Blake's 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blake's 7

I looked for a thread for this, but none appeared, so here I am starting one for what is one of my top two sci-fi shows of all time.

Ok, so the effects weren't that good, sometimes. But the characters were dark and complex, and the writing bordered on brilliant, Tanith Lee's two scripts, for example. Sarcophagus stayed with me for years. (that's right. B& was the first to use the idea of a consciousness that jumped from body to body and could be revived with a sarcophagus). The characters weren't clear good or evil. There was a classic moment where Blake had to persuade a former king to return to power...but the man was only interested in staying safe, surrounded by his possessions. he was a nice old man. Blake tried to talk him round. When the king refused...Blake started to smash his precious possessions, one by one. The king was heart broken. It was a chilling moment. Blake, after all, was our hero.

Avon was the one everyone remembers. Dark, brooding, mysterious, brilliant. But my favourite was Cally. Equally as mysterious. An alien with bizarre powers, but also a fighter and a warrior. And the only person who seemed able to reach Avon, to get closer to him. (Yep, there was my very first ship).

Years later, after i had watched that devastating final episode (and if you haven't seen it, ....it's a brilliant way to end such a dark series. And people have argued for years about who's shots you can hear over the closing credits), i forgot most of it for years. It stayed in my memory only as a childhood obsession.

But...then it was repeated on UK Gold..and it struck me...it really was brilliant. And this became the first series I bought all the videos for. It became the first I wrote fanfic, and the first I researched online.

If you've never seen it..well, I recommend three from the three series. Rumours of Death, Children of Auron and Sarchophagus. Brilliant writing. Complex characterisation. Dark and morally ambigous plots. Well worth a look.

So tell me..did you watch this? What was your favourite season? Your favourite character? Do you think Avon would have killed Vila in Gold? Were Avon and Cally a 'ship (it was obvious Blake and Jenna were). Who died at the end?
    Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

You're right about Sarcophagus. Terminal was another brilliant one, with one of my strongest memories of TV from my childhood as Zen gets covered in green goo

I think Avon *would* have killed Villa. Whether he'd stay sane (or relatively sane) afterwards is another matter. I didn't really notice any 'ship's I'm afraid. I liked Avon best when I was little. I first rewatched it in my teens, and liked Tarrant best. How very inexplicable

As for the end... well I think they all died. But I'm not sure I ought to say that in case any B7 fanfic afficionados are in the vicinity

Madeleine

Comment

wow, that was a fast answer. yes, avon's insanity or lack of it has always been a fervent fan quesiton. myself, i thought he was trembling on the brink, and went over the edge when cally died (i think she kept him in check)..and was totally bonkers at the end. i also think they all died..and hey, i'm a B7 fanfic writer myself. but a shippy one. it's not obvious ship...a cheek touch, some glances, one kiss....but you know me, i love my ship, and take it whereever i can find it.

there's rumours it's coming back, but i haven't heard much since the initial announcement

Comment

I've not seen the series for about 10 years so I don't really remember details, but I thought it was great back then.
        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

I don't think they all died at the end.

That's one of the best ending scenes and it has really stuck to me even though it's been well over 10 years since I've seen that ep.

Blake back but killed, the rest of the crew dead or near death, only Avon left as the troops close in....fade to black....one single shot...did they kill him?

BTW....back in 02 or 03 i read a story that Paul Darrow had bought the rights and was gonna revive the series on BBC. Did this really come to pass?
          Thanks!
          Jordan

my page
          My LJ
          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

well, there was a rumour he had..Avon was going to used as a figurehead for a new bunch of younger rebels, but I haven't heard any more. News of B7 has kind of been overshadowed over here by news of the new Doctor Who.

Comment

Yeah the official site has some info about the new mini-series.

Comment

yah....i'm hoping BBCA or PBS pick up the new Who next year.....really looking forward to it.
                Thanks!
                Jordan

my page
                My LJ
                From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

SciFi Channel is in talks with the BBC over Dr. Who.. No one saying if its the old season or the new.
                  The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

I met Paul Darrow yesterday. Mr W and I were looking at a dealers' stall at Collectormania, the chap next to us made a comment about the stuff we were looking at and I turned to see and it was AVON! I couldn't think of anything sensible to say, so I just blurted out that I'd seen him as Macbeth once at the Bristol Hippodrome. He said that that had been a difficult play to do cos the actor playing Macduff was pretty limp with a sword, and kept accidentally losing the fight at the end.

Okay, not really very Blakes 7-ey, but it made me smile.

Madeleine

Comment

Never seen this series, but after reading about it have become increasingly interested, where can you watch it?
                      :
                      "There must be some way out of here..."

Comment

Originally posted by destinymaker View Post
                        Never seen this series, but after reading about it have become increasingly interested, where can you watch it?
                        youtube have at least the first episode.

also

best ship EVER!!
                        sigpic
                        EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                        -Liberty Prime

Comment

Agreed!

I'd green you both but I've run out of greens

Blakes 7 is my all time first sci fi love. This is where all the darker, grimmer sci fi began.

Lots of the episodes are on You Tube starting here.

Horizon - the Blakes 7 forum is here

Synopses of episodes, fan fic etc is here

And there is a Live Journal community here where we have just started a re-watch. And there are links to other B7 LJ stuff there as well.

As you can see, I'm a bit obsessed.

Unfortunately not many people on this forum seem to have heard of Blakes 7, let alone want to watch it.

Just something to bear in mind - Blakes 7 had absolutely no budget for special effects & so what there are look pretty abysmal, but if you can get past that and concentrate on the characters and the stories, then you are in for a real treat.

Best of luck!

Comment

Blake's 7 - New Big Finish Audiobooks and Novels in 2012

http://bigf.eu/news/Blakes-7-New-Aud...ovels-in-2012-

Blake’s 7 is something our listeners have been asking us to produce for ages, so I'm so pleased that we're finally delivering!'”

Andrew Mark Sewell, managing director of B7 Enterprises says: “We’ve long been an admirer of the audio dramas produced by Big Finish and are delighted that they will be lending their considerable talents to recapturing the spirit of the classic Blake’s 7 series with a series of new novels and audio plays. Even though thirty years has passed since the original television series ended, we’re sure that these new novels and audio stories will recapture the magic of Terry Nation’s original creation and reignite people’s passion for this seminal show.”

The audio series will be produced by David Richardson, while Xanna Eve Chown is books editor.

“I have two loves in science fiction,” says David, “and they are Doctor Who and Blake’s 7. And now I get to produce both on audio! I couldn’t be happier.”

“The Liberator Chronicles will be a series of exciting, character-driven tales that remain true to the original TV series. We’re aiming for authenticity – recreating the wonder of 1978 all over again!”

Blake’s 7: The Liberator Chronicles launches in February 2012 and is available for pre-order at bigfinish.com.

Blake’s 7: The Novels launch in May 2012 and are available for pre-order at bigfinish.com.

A year-long subscription offer to the Blake's 7 range is also available.

I'm really excited about this. I guess I may be the only person on this forum who is!

Comment

What happened to the proposed mini series of blake 7? i thought there was one coming like last year or something doesnt paul darrow own the franchise now?
                              Last Movie Watched
                              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                              Life is Strange

Comment

Working...
                              X