This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard self sacrifice complex

Ok first off let me say that I love the Asgard. those little grey guys are my favorite species on the show and Thor is one of my favorite characters. because i like those guys so much i tend to be a little critical of them. so heres something I noticed. why is it that the asgard have this obsession with sacrificing themselves as the answer to whatever crisis is facing us. they either are way to eager to sacrifice them selves or they are way to quick to accept their deaths. when the replicators first came to earth they had to blow up the belsner to stop them. thor just accepted that that meant they had to die with the ship. for as smart as they are they dont really think to hard about stuff. they accept the first impression that they have to die way to easy. they say that they truly care about the races under their porotection but why dont they care about themselves a little more? they cant very well help anyone when they are dead

They know their species is dying, and that they have no way to solve the cloning problem. They've probably given up hope of suriving.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Selflessness. The Asgard don't seem to be selfish *******s. Maybe some of them don't really completely understand death because they've all probably lived so long. When their body gets old they transfer themselves into another clone body.

Maybe because they're just so nice they think it will all turn out right in the end so they're willing to give themselves up for their cause. It what SG-1 does all th time. ie. Daniel jumping through the glass to stop that bomb in Kewlona from going off. They constantly put themselves in danger. They could sit back and do nothing but they don't and that's what makes them good guys.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
        They know their species is dying, and that they have no way to solve the cloning problem. They've probably given up hope of suriving.
        except that they are still searching for an answer to the cloning problem so they must still think it is possible to solve and to survive

Comment

Yea, they did find that frozen Asgard in Revelations, so there is a slim chance, but for now, they wallow.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
            Selflessness. The Asgard don't seem to be selfish *******s. Maybe some of them don't really completely understand death because they've all probably lived so long. When their body gets old they transfer themselves into another clone body.

Maybe because they're just so nice they think it will all turn out right in the end so they're willing to give themselves up for their cause. It what SG-1 does all th time. ie. Daniel jumping through the glass to stop that bomb in Kewlona from going off. They constantly put themselves in danger. They could sit back and do nothing but they don't and that's what makes them good guys.
            there is a difference between risking your life for the cause and just accepting your death for the cause. yes sg-1 puts themselves in danger all the time but they never give up and just accept death, they keep fighting to survive no matter what because they know that while dying for the cause is a risk and may happen, it is better for them to survive and keep fighting then to just die and not be able to do anything more. im not questioning the asgards willingness to put themselves in harms way or to risk death, im questioning the fact that they are to eager to die. if you have to die in the process of getting the job done then thats very noble, like daniel dying. but sometimes its possible to get the job done and survive. like in the case of the belsner after they rigged the ship to blow thor just accepted that and waited to die. sg-1 fought for a way to survive and get the job done. people have this idea that it is this great and noble thing to die in the process of saving the day. im not saying it isnt because it is when absolutely neccasary, but what is more noble is to save the day and live to save the day another time

Comment

The asgard have lived for a very long time. Thor has to be what, Over a thousand years old?

They probably see that they've lived very full lives, and it's probably easier for them to accept death after living for so long.
              sigpic

Comment

I think the Jaffa are even more eager to die for their cause then the Asgard. Same with the Tok'ra. Maybe that is part of the reason that there are so few Tok'ra and rebel Jaffa. It's also the reason they make very weak allies.

For example, a typical Crisis Situation>>

Bra'tac(or other Jaffa): I die free!!!
                Jack(or other sensible SG-1 member):How about we accomplish this without dying?
                Bra'tac: Oh.
                "Well, my days of not taking you
                seriously are certainly coming to a
                middle."

Comment

Well heres a thought: maybe the Asgard can transmit thier consciousness' through subspace to save themselves, and blow up the ship after the download. This way only the body would die, although they aren't as nonchalant about them anymore, since they are a dwindling commodity among our favorite little grey buddies.

Also, if you really want to see a species eager to die, take a look at Bra'tac in the episode aboard Klorel's ship. You can see it in his eyes; this guy not only is willing to die, hes been COUNTING on it! He looks at O'Neill as if to say, 'Dude, why aren't you happy?! Isn't it your dream to die in battle??'. Sure O'Neill would never hesitate to lay down his life to save anothers, but he isn't HAPPY about it!
                  [email protected]
                  http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                  One nation under dog
                  There of which I stand alone
                  A face in the crowd
                  Unsung, against the mold
                  Without a doubt
                  Singled out
                  The only way I know

Comment

The Asgard know that in the end all things must eventually die, or come to an end. It's only us dumb humans that will cling for life until the bitter end against all hope. That's why they came to us for help with the replicators...they needed a stupid human idea to see them through. They are so smart, they knew they needed to do something dumb to survive. It's kind of a "catch 22" thingy.

On the other hand, Thor's willingness to put his life on the line and accept his own death, was only to preserve his race as a whole.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

when it comes to the asgard, i think they have the vulcan "needs of the many outway the needs of the few" point of view. they know they are a dying race and even if it means dying, they will sacrifice their lives in the hopes that their deaths will help save their race. losing his ship and his life would be a small thing to pay in the grand scheme of things when it comes to saving an entire race who could be the key to saving his own race so i think that was why he was willing to die on the Beliskner

sigpic

Comment

We know they can transfer their conciousness from one body to another, so it makes sense that they'd have an earlier back-up on file at home somewhere (probably under a load of junk in the garage). You remember the Arnie film, the Sixth Day, was it? It was to do with cloning and really quite bad. I'd imagine the Asgard have a similar sort of thing so that if they die someone at home just does a reboot and they're back to normal.
                        sum ergo cogitum
                        I am therefore I think.

Comment

The Asgard are not capable of "stupid thinking".
                          So if you can choose between your live and all the lives in a hole galaxy I thinks the logical choise would be Thors... One live will be so irrelevant he does not even think about possibilities to safe it.
                          www.savestargatesg-1.com

Comment

i know the asgard can copy a persons mind but are there own minds copies as well as the bodies? i thought that they actually transfered an asgard mind and not just copied it (like with the 6th sense).

we have seen minds being copied and minds being transfered so if they do transfer the mind and not copied, wouldn't that make transfering the mind over deep space impossible without some sort of storage

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade
                              i know the asgard can copy a persons mind but are there own minds copies as well as the bodies? i thought that they actually transfered an asgard mind and not just copied it (like with the 6th sense).

we have seen minds being copied and minds being transfered so if they do transfer the mind and not copied, wouldn't that make transfering the mind over deep space impossible without some sort of storage
                              The Stargate dematerializes a body, transports it across space and rematerializes it at the other end. A mind shouldn't be any different.

As for the Asgard giving up...they already have. What if (spoiler)
                              the Asgard clone Colson Int. reproduced solved the genetic problem?
                              When you give me a negative reputation posting, usually because you disagree with my OPINION, sign your work!

Comment

Working...
                              X