This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do so many people dis-like Sam?

Okay this whole post was about how I've noticed alot of people finding Sam less appealing-shall we say than in previous series. I ran in all moany and whiney- but now i've changed it as to not annoy people (hopefully) So if anyone would like to fill me in on what's cahnged with Sam? Cause i haven't really seen any change??But maybe I'm wrong?*shrugs* It wasn't my intention to offend anyone.
    Last edited by Sam fan; 24 September 2004, 05:58 AM.

Originally posted by Sam fan
    Okay I have no idea where the heck this goes- but i have just gone through a whole site that seems dedicated to *****ing about Sam!!! Why???Give it a break seriously- I can't say she hasn't killed anyone- obviously she has but she hasn't done anything majorly, majorly evil!!! So what is going on? And why does a certain site??Not mentioning any names feel the constant need to ***** about one of the main characters in the show- you don't like her? Fine just don't like her in peace- don't go wingeing at every available chance. I am less than keen on a certain Sg-1 actor and yet do I say it? Do I ***** about him/her every hour that God send? no I don't cause I don't wanna be mean!!! And finally if anyone says- it's just a TV show? Yeah fine, it is but it bugs me that everyone has to moan constantly can't they just be happy!!!!Or be secretly annoyed? Up until now I was doing a pretty good job of it!!!
    *steps down off of soap box*
    I don't think anyone hates Col. Carter. I sure don't! I respect her very much, plus she is hot. Well, she was hot in Seasons 1-3, but I don't like her new hair. I'm also happy for her with Pete, if she's happy.

Comment

Erm... it's considered kinda bad form to drag the problems you have with one site onto another site. But generally speaking, there will always be someone or a group of someones who loathe and despise something you love. You just have to learn to live with it no matter how much it grates. The trick is not to sink to that level and, when you dislike something, to find a mature and coherent way to express your feelings. Actually, the same should apply for when you like something, too. Reading "X is the bestest of the best things that was ever best, by golly gosh, wow!" isn't a whole lot better than "X is the worstest of the worst things that was ever worst, [expletives deleted]!"

EDIT: Also, that's an incredibly massive and wildly unfair generalization. Not everyone hates Sam and to imply that everyone does, or that even the majority of people do isn't very kind to those who like or even love Sam.

Comment

"Everyone" doesn't hate Sam, I assure you.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          Erm... it's considered kinda bad form to drag the problems you have with one site onto another site. But generally speaking, there will always be someone or a group of someones who loathe and despise something you love. You just have to learn to live with it no matter how much it grates. The trick is not to sink to that level and, when you dislike something, to find a mature and coherent way to express your feelings. Actually, the same should apply for when you like something, too. Reading "X is the bestest of the best things that was ever best, by golly gosh, wow!" isn't a whole lot better than "X is the worstest of the worst things that was ever worst, [expletives deleted]!"

EDIT: Also, that's an incredibly massive and wildly unfair generalization. Not everyone hates Sam and to imply that everyone does, or that even the majority of people do isn't very kind to those who like or even love Sam.

oaky firstly- sorry bout the expletives- secondly- I didn't mean everyone and i wasn't accusing everyone- everybody is just a general word to me-it's just that i find it very dis-heartening to go through trails and trails of mean-ness?? Totally didn't mean to offend anyone, but as for the whole bringing it on to another site- this site is the one i see as a central site for all stargate. I was just basically wandering if anyone could tell me in a nice way exactly what it is that's made sam seem so much less popular recently- of course as an avid sam fan i ran in all guns blazing but i don't think anyone likes their fave character being slated?
          And I've even changed the title to make u feel happier bout it.

*all spelling mistakes have been corrected- hope it suits you*
          Last edited by Sam fan; 24 September 2004, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Haven't seen any hate here...

:/

Comment

oaky firstly- sorry bout the expletives- secondly- I didn't mean everyone and i wasn''t accusing everyone
              Your thread title says "Why does everyone hate Sam?"

As for why, there's a thread in the S8 folder about Sam being in charge which probably contains some good views from all sides.

People aren't always nice. That much should be obvious.

And no, it isn't nice to see your fave character getting slammed. My fave character is Jonas, so you can imagine the kind of crap I've see. The thing is, getting upset about it doesn't do any good. It isn't going to make people stop bashing the character you like and it may, in fact, only make things worse. So why expend energy on it. Concentrate on other things. Like being here and talking about how great Sam is.

I always thought Gateworld was the center of the SG fans' online universe.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I always thought Gateworld was the center of the SG fans' online universe.
                It's NOT?!

Anyway, as Shadow says, it's not fun to see characters you enjoy slammed. Sam is a character I enjoy a lot, but my favorite right now is Dr. Weir. I'll take a second to Shadow and Jonas for seeing bad things said, but only because I've bullied and badgered and defended Dr. Weir at every chance I've gotten.

The best way to handle those sorts of attacks is to present a logical and unemotional case as to why you disagree with whatever is being said, and remember that some people will never agree with you. You will come out better, and you might change minds.

Comment

I love Sam! shes my favourite character. Your right about some people hating the character on other boards. I mean no disrespect to anyone but some of the people who are anti sam/jack shippers focus all there hate on sam, jack is usually imune to it. Not all the anti S/J shippers hate sam alot them may not (and they also may dislike the character for other reasons, this was just my experience).
                  At Gateworld i havent really noticed any hate, there are differing opinions about different subjects but no character bashing, which is why i think here is the best.
                  Forums on certain sites, comments and even some news is posted negatively towards the character. Again not all of the people there hate sam there are still alot of people who love the character, but as with any thing or subject, the negative voice is usually always louder than the positive one. That's why i left those sites and have not come back, and have not needed to since i found this board. I can understand some people not liking the character, not everybody will, that goes for all characters, But personally, i thought they got very out of hand, to the point of extreme. so i left.
                  Last edited by THE BIG UNIT; 23 September 2004, 04:26 PM.

Comment

No, everybody certainly doesn't hate Sam. In fact, a lot of griping recently may be because most people DO like Sam. The griping could be (this is just one possible interpretation here, folks, not fact) because the "old" Sam we knew and loved (or simply liked) has seemingly morphed into somebody else in the past year or so. Similar to Daniel... Daniel no longer does much translating/archeology stuff, and Sam hasn't done a lot of astrophysics stuff. I think people just miss the way things were in the 'old days' when SG-1 was a team, visiting planets on recon missions-- Jack the hard-nosed leader, Sam the brilliant scientist, Daniel the thoughtful cultural expert, and Teal'c the stoic warrior.

That's my idea or theory anyway, about some people's opinions about Sam.... it seems that this season, she's been in street clothes, leading raids and going on off-base 'missions' more than she's been in fatigues & carrying a weapon. A lot of people don't like the morphing of roles and want Sam to be the same Captain Carter she was in earlier years. (same with Daniel, I suppose)

Does that sound reasonable to anyone???

Comment

Big Unit, you may want to edit your post to exclude naming specific sites. It's YOUR opinion that those sites are anti-Sam and it isn't fair tho those sites to attack them here where they can't defend themselves. Or worse, they do, and this whole thread devolves to a slag-fest.

The best thing to do is to avoid those sites that you disagree with. They have just as much right to express their opinions as you do and just because you don't agree with them doesn't make their opinions any less valid.

As an anti-S/J fan I can also say that personally, I don't hate Sam at all. I do, however, have some severe objections to the way she's currently being written. I have bigger problems with the way Jack is behaving, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                        It's NOT?!

Abut my favorite right now is Dr. Weir.

Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of the "first" Dr. Weir in relation to the current Dr. Weir? At first, I really really couldn't get used to the "new" Weir, and I liked the original. Now, I guess I've gotten used to the newer one so she's okay, but I still sort of wish the other actress had stayed in the role. I just thought she was very strong in that role.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                          Does that sound reasonable to anyone???
                          Yes and ... no.

I for one don't want her to be the old Captain Carter who does nothing but astrophysics. She never just did astrophysics. Some of the things I find troubling about the character developement in seasons 7 and 8 for me have been a feeling that they've made the character unnessecarily incompetent at times at things we know that she knows better than.

A great many people who have problems with the way Sam was made to behave specifically in Chimera, Affinity, and Endgame. Part of that is having 'ship' that some of us aren't comfortable with (and it's not, IMO, a pro-Sam/Jack or an anti-Pete thing because even the Sam/Pete scenes have been laced with Sam/Jack shipper stuff). But for the most part is has been the fact that they've to an extent made Sam professionally incompetent in an effort to show that she is socially ackward.

Comment

oaky firstly- sorry bout the expletives- secondly- I didn't mean everyone and i wasn''t accusing everyone- it's just that i find it very dis-heartening to go throug trails and trails of mean-ness?? Totally didn't mean to offend anyone, but as for the whole bringing it on to another site- this site is the one i see asa central site for al stargate. I was just basically wandering if anyone couldtell me in a nice way exactly what it is that's made sam seem so much less popular recently- of course as an avid sam fan i ran in all gunsa blazing but i don't think anyone likes their fave character being slated?
                            And I've even changed teh title to make u feel happier bout it.

Seems to me like someone, not gonna mention any names, needs to go back to 7th grade english class.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                              Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of the "first" Dr. Weir in relation to the current Dr. Weir?
                              I've never been a big fan of Jessica Steen, but in general I don't have an opinion of her as Dr. Weir. I tend to accept for the most part that TPTB knew what they wanted from the character, and for whatever reason, that portrayal just didn't work. Either on JS's part, or TPTB.

I however fell in love with Torri Higginson's Weir pretty fast. And if I can accept that sometimes an actor switch is absolutely nessecary I don't think it's particularly fair to short a character (or Torri Higginson) because of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X